ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working online as a tier 4 student?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aziz0201
Newly Registered
Algeria

Working online as a tier 4 student?

Post by Aziz0201 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Hello,

I am an online English teacher working for a US based company, teaching F1 visa students. I only work 16 hours per work. However, I don’t know if this is considered as a freelance work or if it is breaching visa rules.

Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Working online as a tier 4 student?

Post by sah10406 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:51 am

I am not really clear how someone cannot know whether they are working for an employer or if they are self-employed.

You say you are "working for a [...] company" which suggests they are your employer, that you are on the payroll, etc. In that case a Student visa allows you to do that work, within your weekly limit during term-time.

If you are a contractor invoicing for your time, not an employee, then you are self-employed and your visa does not allow you to do that work.

Working online and/or working for a non-UK employer is not the issue. It is whether it is employment or self-employment.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.