ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does renting a room from someone living in a housing association affect graduate visa application?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pleasant1
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Does renting a room from someone living in a housing association affect graduate visa application?

Post by Pleasant1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 am

Hello,

I am on a student visa hoping to transition to the Graduate Visa when my notification of graduation comes out in about a month. The problem is that I just realized that living in housing associations is considered as accessing public funds.

I want to confirm if this will affect my graduate visa application later as I did not apply for the housing myself but I just started renting a room from someone living in one. It is an informal arrangement so far, there's no contract but I've paid a month's rent plus deposit

Thank you

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Does renting a room from someone living in a housing association affect graduate visa application?

Post by sah10406 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:38 am

Pleasant1 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 am
The problem is that I just realized that living in housing associations is considered as accessing public funds.
Realised this how? Read it where?

The list of what is considered public funds does not include housing association housing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... blic-funds
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Pleasant1
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: Does renting a room from someone living in a housing association affect graduate visa application?

Post by Pleasant1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Someone mentioned in a conversation how subsidized housing is publicly funded so I tried to check because the name on the building says '*city name* housing association' but their website social housing (which I take to mean subsidized housing.

So I guess my question is really if housing associations are the same as local authority housing which was mentioned on the list in the link you gave. In the city that I'm in, the local authority doesn't own any houses, they just partner with the social landlords

Thanks

Pleasant1
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Pleasant1 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:04 pm

And if they are a local authority housing, is it okay for me to rent from someone living in one?

Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:55 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:38 am
The list of what is considered public funds does not include housing association housing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... blic-funds
It does. Public funds are, some welfare benefits, social housing, homelessness assistance and social care.

From your link-
More detailed information on public funds can be found in the Public funds guidance document.
From that link-
Page 1 of 45 Published for Home Office staff on 20 August 2021
Public Funds
Migrant access to public funds, including social housing, homelessness assistance and social
care.
Page 22
A joint tenancy cannot be granted to 2 or more people if any of them is subject to
immigration control and ineligible for local authority housing. This applies both to
local authority housing and to housing which is provided by a housing association as
the result of a nomination by a local authority. A sole tenancy may be granted to
someone who is eligible (for example a British citizen or person settled in the UK) but
whose spouse/partner is not eligible. The ineligible spouse or partner is not counted
as accessing public funds as a result of this.
In this case. Pleasant1 living in an HA with someody else listed as the tenant, does not appear to be taking public funds.
However, as you are paying money up front, has you seen the evidence that the HA has given permission for you to live there?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:41 am

JB007 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:55 pm
It does. Public funds are, some welfare benefits, social housing, homelessness assistance and social care.
For sure they are. My meaning is that housing association housing is not in itself and by definition a public fund. A lot of housing association housing, maybe most, is in the private rental sector or under shared ownership.

It is only local authority assigned housing, which can indeed sometimes be provided via a housing association, that is a public fund.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.