ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of Living in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Employment and citizenship

Post by Aer0za » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Hi,

How much weight does employment/salary and so on play into your naturalisation application.
Im currently employed by a large Investment bank for near two years but ive recently been offered a new role at a new firm for 20k more a year than I currently get.

My question is would changing jobs and now being in probation be a negative aspect on my application?

Thanks in advance

Shah1698
Member of Standing

Re: Employment and citizenship

Post by Shah1698 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:19 pm

Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation so it shouldn't impact in anyway.
Shah

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:51 pm

Aer0za wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:04 pm
How much weight does employment/salary and so on play into your naturalisation application.
In theory zero. In practice, well, the application is expensive, so that in itself excludes many people on low income from applying. They're smart. Being able to pay for it is an implicit requirement. #fact
Im currently employed by a large Investment bank for near two years but ive recently been offered a new role at a new firm for 20k more a year than I currently get.
Completely irrelevant. Once you have paid the application fee you are good. That's all they care about.
My question is would changing jobs and now being in probation be a negative aspect on my application?
You never actually have to disclose wether you are on a probation period or not. They'll see it's a new job from start dates, but that's all. Salary or length of tenure is not a factor. The important bit of the work history section is to show that you have lived in the UK for the last 5 years, not how much you have earned.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Aer0za » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:42 pm

You never actually have to disclose wether you are on a probation period or not. They'll see it's a new job from start dates, but that's all. Salary or length of tenure is not a factor. The important bit of the work history section is to show that you have lived in the UK for the last 5 years, not how much you have earned.
Thanks clearing that all up

The online application only allows you to add one employment history details.
Seems like the only proof I have give for been here for 5 years is my passport with stamps, which I have.
What else could I include as I think getting letters from employers will be a hassle due to a fair few different jobs.

Taken today from the .gov naturalisation online application form
Proof of living in the UK for Mr Aeroza for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen
If you are a Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the relevant 3- or 5-year period.

If you do not have your passport or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:27 pm

If your passport has all the required stamps then you do not need more proof.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Some clarification needed on questions

Post by Aer0za » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:06 pm

Hi, so I am due to apply for Naturalisation in 20 days, as I'll have had ILR for a year.

Firstly, I have a question about my time in the UK. I arrived in the UK in May 2013 but was out of the country for more than 180 days over 2015 into early 2016, My permanent return to the UK was in Feb 2016.

Is it worth pointing out that I had arrived in 2013 or just use the period from 2016 as my entry into the UK?

Secondly for referee declarations, do I need to get people to sign a picture of me and fill out the form? As it asks for all their details on the portal already.

Thanks!

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: Some clarification needed on questions

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:47 pm

Aer0za wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:06 pm
Hi, so I am due to apply for Naturalisation in 20 days, as I'll have had ILR for a year.

Firstly, I have a question about my time in the UK. I arrived in the UK in May 2013 but was out of the country for more than 180 days over 2015 into early 2016, My permanent return to the UK was in Feb 2016.

Is it worth pointing out that I had arrived in 2013 or just use the period from 2016 as my entry into the UK? You can use 2016, as you only need 5 years of residence for naturalisation.

Secondly for referee declarations, do I need to get people to sign a picture of me and fill out the form? As it asks for all their details on the portal already. They will need to fill in the form, but not to sign your picture. This procedure can be done electronically.

Thanks!
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Aer0za » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:04 am

Hi, I have a new question.

My Father has British citizenship through his mother. I have old passports. However he's never really been to the UK and his last passport has been expired for nearly a decade now.
When listing my fathers details on the application form, is it worth saying he is British or keep it to South African.
He had both citizenships prior to my birth.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:08 am

You can say he is British and South African, though you are not naturalising by descent, so it will have little impact on your application. No issue on the passport being expired.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Aer0za » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:16 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:08 am
You can say he is British and South African, though you are not naturalising by descent, so it will have little impact on your application. No issue on the passport being expired.
Can only add one or the other on the online form. I'll probably keep it to South African. Thanks!
Due to apply from tomorrow as it will be 1 Year from when my ILR Biometric Permit was issued 11 October 2021. Excited and nervous haha

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:18 am

The form should ask whether they held any other nationalities as well. Good luck!

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Proof of Living in the UK

Post by Aer0za » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:36 pm

Hi,

What can I use as proof of residency in the UK. SO far I have 5 years of tax records from employment pulled from HMRC, does my ILR biometric card also count as proof? I can also pull 5 years of NI payments from HMRC would that help. I think I used the NI payments for my application for ILR if I remember correctly.

TA

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Proof of Living in the UK

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:39 pm

Aer0za wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:36 pm
Hi,

What can I use as proof of residency in the UK. SO far I have 5 years of tax records from employment pulled from HMRC, does my ILR biometric card also count as proof? I can also pull 5 years of NI payments from HMRC would that help. I think I used the NI payments for my application for ILR if I remember correctly.

TA
Only your passport(s) to prove residency.

Also, please keep all questions on the same application in one topic, this one now merged.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Aer0za
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Proof of Living in the UK

Post by Aer0za » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:43 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:39 pm
Aer0za wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:36 pm
Hi,

TA
Only your passport(s) to prove residency.

Also, please keep all questions on the same application in one topic, this one now merged.
Thanks, That was hopefully my last question. Will keep them all in same thread if anymore pop up.
This forum has been such a help! Does it accept donations?