ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transit Visa to Netherlands, Germany and France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tochim
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Transit Visa to Netherlands, Germany and France

Post by Tochim » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm

I do not understand the system as regards to transit visas to EU countries from UK. I am only traveling through the airport direct to my destination. I am not changing airport. I have enquired from KLM and Lufthansa airlines and they gave me conflicting responses. I was told that so long as I am not going out of the airport, I do not need transit visa. the other told me that I do need it but later said I actually don't need it. I have Non-EU family member permanent settlement scheme permit.

Now when you read what German foreign office stated in this information below, In the last paragraphs where it states the exceptions, it never mentioned UK residents. Can someone help me here, please? do I really need transit visa to pass through only one airport in EU? I am not double transiting. Transiting from UK to Nigeria through Shiphol or CDG airports.

I'm planning a trip by air and have to transit at a German airport. Do I need a visa?
The vast majority of foreign travellers benefit from the “transit privilege” - if during a stopover at a German airport, you do not leave the International Airport Area and if the destination is not in a Schengen country, you do not need a transit visa.

However, if for some reason you need to enter the Schengen area during your stopover (for example to change terminals or if the destination is in a Schengen country), you may require a visa; please plan for this. You should apply for a visa well before you travel!

Only five airports in Germany have an International Transit Area enabling you to transit without formally entering the Schengen area:

Frankfurt/Main
Munich
Hamburg (4.30 a.m. - 11.30 p.m. only)
Düsseldorf (6.00 a.m. - 9.00 p.m. only) and if the airline has arranged the transit beforehand with the authorities responsible for cross-border security (the Federal Police)
Berlin-Brandenburg
Nationals of the following countries do not have the transit privilege and therefore require an airport transit visa (category A) for transit at a German airport:

Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Ghana
India
Iran
Iraq
Jordan *
Lebanon
Mali
Nigeria
Pakistan
Somalia
South Sudan
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Syria
Turkey *
* certain exceptions apply to these countries

Exceptions from the requirement to hold an airport transit visa:

Holders of valid visas and national residence permits from EU and Schengen countries
Holders of certain national residence permits from the following countries: Andorra, Japan, Canada, San Marino, United States of America
Holders of valid visas from the EEA countries (the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) and visas issued by Japan, Canada and the United States of America
Visa regulations

Tochim
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: Transit Visa to Netherlands, Germany and France

Post by Tochim » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:42 pm

Can someone please advice me on this transit visa stuff? Does it mean Britain only negotiated for people with citizenship and EU citizens and people with only resident cards will now be paying quadruple amount with virgin and BA? Sad if this is true

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:05 pm

Tochim wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm
In the last paragraphs where it states the exceptions, it never mentioned UK residents.
because they're not an exception, at least in case of Germany
https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/airpo ... as/2442170
Since the end of the transition phase and the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, UK visas and residence permits do not exempt their holders from airport transit requirements. Nationals of the countries listed above now require airport transit visas even if they hold a visa or residence permit for the UK.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:13 pm

Tochim wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:30 pm
do I really need transit visa to pass through only one airport in EU? I am not double transiting. Transiting from UK to Nigeria through Shiphol or CDG airports.
Schiphol - yes
https://consular.mfaservices.nl/schenge ... tendedStay

CDG - also yes
https://france-visas.gouv.fr/web/france ... ansit-visa
1/ You are travelling from an airport in a country located outside the Schengen Area and staying in the international zone of an airport located in metropolitan France while waiting for your connection to your final destination, which is also located outside the Schengen Area.

You must apply for an “A” airport transit visa (ATV) if you hold:

An ordinary, service or special passport issued by: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, or Sri Lanka;
UK is no longer in EU, so yea, permits can no longer be used for exemption.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Tochim
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Tochim » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:06 am

Thanks guys! it is clearer now. It all means that without citizenship in UK, you cannot make any urgent business trip outside of UK unless you pay through your nose with BA and Virgin Airline. Just checking other airlines that don't need transit visas, their tickets are triple. KLM or Lufthansa will charge about 600pds, BA and Virgin will charge 2k plus. This is crazy. I have decided to go by Turkish Air which is double the prices of KLM and co. Thanks again guys for clearing my head on this.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:26 am

Clearly one of the effects of Brexit. You go with airlines that the stop over will not be on the EU, the cost is another thing though.

Tochim
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Tochim » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:56 pm

That is so sad. The reasons for exiting EU were not what we are seeing today. Instead, the prices of resident permit for the so-called "Commonwealth'' countries tripled. The same EU citizens that caused them to exit are still benefiting. Before Brexit, resident permit was 601pds. immediately after Brexit, it jumped to over 1100pds. Now, I don't even know how much it has gone up to. Of Couse, EU citizens don't pay any of these sh..,t

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:19 pm

Tochim wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:56 pm
That is so sad. The reasons for exiting EU were not what we are seeing today. Instead, the prices of resident permit for the so-called "Commonwealth'' countries tripled. The same EU citizens that caused them to exit are still benefiting. Before Brexit, resident permit was 601pds. immediately after Brexit, it jumped to over 1100pds. Now, I don't even know how much it has gone up to. Of Couse, EU citizens don't pay any of these sh..,t
Not entirely sure what you're vexed about. The UK has made arrangements to suit itself. It wouldn't make arrangements to suit every other country on the planet. That's why each and every other country has a government.
The government is there to make arrangements for it's citizens.
You might want to take your complaints up with your embassy.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Tochim wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:56 pm
EU citizens who haven´t been resident in the UK before the end of the transitional period have to apply and pay for the same immigration applications as other non-UK nationals.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:38 pm

Standard UK ILR fees didn't go up due to Brexit .... the government loaded the fees in order for immigrants to subsidise the Home Office even more than they did already. Prominent among the fees is that for naturalisation, now standing at about £1300 (not counting test fees, etc). One of the previous Home Secretaries was quite candid, explaining in front of the Home Affairs Select Committee that of the £1300 about £400 goes towards the processing of applications and the remainder is subsidy for the Home Office. By the time many applicants decide to apply for citizenship they may have spent already in excess to £10k in visa/ILR fees. And yes I know the complaints about EU citizens getting a free ride (I wish).... most EU citizens coming into the UK now on visa routes will pay the same fees as anybody else.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.