ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What Nationality will our son hold having a British father and Indian mother

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SSajjan
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

What Nationality will our son hold having a British father and Indian mother

Post by SSajjan » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Hello forum,

I am an Indian citizen and my husband is a British citizen by naturalization since Jan 2021. We have a 10 month old Son who was born in India. To move to UK we applied Certificate of Entitlement to right of Abode (CoE-RoA) based on British father. The certificate is on his Indian Passport.

I am currently in the process of applying my Spouse visa (partner route) from inside the UK (I hold PBS dependant visa expiring in October). While filling the application I have to mention the nationality of my son. So should I need to fill in British national as he has CoE-RoA or Indian national as he has Indian passport or both as he is still under 18?

Thanks in advance.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: What Nationality will our son hold having a British father and Indian mother

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:16 pm

SSajjan wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:45 pm
Hello forum,

I am an Indian citizen and my husband is a British citizen by naturalization since Jan 2021. We have a 10 month old Son who was born in India. To move to UK we applied Certificate of Entitlement to right of Abode (CoE-RoA) based on British father. The certificate is on his Indian Passport.

I am currently in the process of applying my Spouse visa (partner route) from inside the UK (I hold PBS dependant visa expiring in October). While filling the application I have to mention the nationality of my son. So should I need to fill in British national as he has CoE-RoA or Indian national as he has Indian passport or both as he is still under 18?

Thanks in advance.
Entirely your choice. Child is a dual national.

You can use option A, B or C.

However, the system might treat your son as an Indian national! Not like it matters.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

nancy_kk
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: What Nationality will our son hold having a British father and Indian mother

Post by nancy_kk » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:06 pm

SSajjan wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:45 pm
Hello forum,

Thanks in advance.
Hi SSajjan,

I am also from India and I am planning to apply CoE-RoA for my child who is <1 year old. my husband is a British citizen by naturalization, I have no UK visa yet and applying for Family visa soon. Could you please let me know the list of documents required for CoE-RoA application for my child please?
Also if we need his parents birth certificates, as we know there were no birth certificates issued in India for who born in 1980's and before.. So could you please suggest what proof we need to submit for parents dob please? SSC certificate/Affidavit from lawyer?

Thankyou for your help,

Sivaquery
Newly Registered

Post by Sivaquery » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:00 pm

Hi SSajjan,

I am in the process of researching the Spouse visa (partner route) from inside the UK.
I hold a PBS dependant Tier 1 (General) visa expiring in Jan.

Can you pls share any major issues you faced filling in the application?
Or if you have the contact of any advisor or solicitor that is experienced in these?

Any suggestions or tips would be highly appreciated.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:54 pm

Sivaquery wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:00 pm
Hi SSajjan,

I am in the process of researching the Spouse visa (partner route) from inside the UK.
I hold a PBS dependant Tier 1 (General) visa expiring in Jan.

Can you pls share any major issues you faced filling in the application?
Or if you have the contact of any advisor or solicitor that is experienced in these? Members are not allowed to promote or share such on the forum. You will have to get this.

Any suggestions or tips would be highly appreciated.
While waiting for OPs response, do note that any doubt you have when the time comes to filling the application can be clarified in your topic.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:58 am

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:16 pm
However, the system might treat your son as an Indian national! Not like it matters.
The Financial requirements differs.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:28 pm

vinny wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:58 am
Ticktack wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:16 pm
The Financial requirements differs.
Oh sorry, maybe my analogy wasn't the best. The reason why I said that is, if a foreign born Brit (naturalised) applies for a passport for child, the system asks where you were born and also if British. Then it asks for the British passport number.
Eventually when it marries all the info together, it calls the foreign born parent whatever nationality of birth, and refers to the British passport number.

It doesn't call the person British. It's weird but it's the system.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!