ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP Card for ILR expires a year before new system comes in

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jfree
Newly Registered

BRP Card for ILR expires a year before new system comes in

Post by jfree » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:48 am

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm an ILR holder (for the avoidance of doubt, currently residing in the UK) and my BRP expires in 2023. I've read that on December 31, 2024, all BRP will expire and be digitised and moved online. My question is, if I do not plan to change jobs or travel between the expiration and January 2025 (when they're moved online), is there any point to spend time and money to renew my BRP since it'll expire in a year's time anyway?

Separately, I was just wondering what will happen when it is digitised? Do we all have to reapply online for the digital version?

Many thanks in advance.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: BRP Card for ILR expires a year before new system comes in

Post by Ticktack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:03 am

jfree wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:48 am
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm an ILR holder (for the avoidance of doubt, currently residing in the UK) and my BRP expires in 2023. I've read that on December 31, 2024, all BRP will expire and be digitised and moved online. My question is, if I do not plan to change jobs or travel between the expiration and January 2025 (when they're moved online), is there any point to spend time and money to renew my BRP since it'll expire in a year's time anyway?

Separately, I was just wondering what will happen when it is digitised? Do we all have to reapply online for the digital version?

Many thanks in advance.
If you don't plan to travel or change jobs then you can wait it out. The BRP is just a confirmation of status to person(s). Your ILR is not in question if you're residing here in the UK.
Kinda like an expired passport, you can't travel with it or use it officially, but it doesn't mean you're no longer a citizen cause it expired.

Regarding the digitalisation, things would become clearer closer to the time.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

zimba
Mood:

Re: BRP Card for ILR expires a year before new system comes in

Post by zimba » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm

jfree wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:48 am
Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance.
The online status system very likely will be up and running in early 2024 :!:
This way there will be no issues for people from 2025 as their BRPs all expire
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice