ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC route for minor on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

x31122010

BC route for minor on ILR

Post by x31122010 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:32 am

Hello,

Firstly, thanks to all the mods and folks on this forum for all the help received.

I need further help on BC route for my minor child.

Background:
Father and Mother both on ILR (via LR)
Child was born outside of UK and has received ILR (via LR).

Question:
We would like to explore the route for the child to gain BC, however, father and mother would continue on ILR only. Is there anyway this could be possible?

Many Thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: BC route for minor on ILR

Post by contorted_svy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:43 am

Hi,

Have you reviewed guidance for the MN1 form? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -Jul19.pdf

In particular look at page 15 as I think your case doesn't fall in any of the other categories:
Any other child born to British or non-British parents
It is not possible to cover all circumstances under which the Home Secretary
might exercise discretion in circumstances not already described in this guide.
However, in considering any application not specifically covered above
consideration will be given to:
• the child’s connections with the UK – we would expect the child to be free of
any restrictions on their stay in the UK
• where the child’s future is likely to lie
• the parents’ views
• the parents’ nationality and immigration status – we expect either both parents
to be British citizens or one parent a British citizen and the other parent settled
in the UK
• whether the child is of good character
• the length of time the child has lived in the UK – we expect at least 2 years
residence (particularly if the child is over the age of 13)
• any compelling circumstances
The way that discretion may be exercised is described in the Caseworker guidance
available for viewing on the GOV.UK website. These guidance documents used by
trained nationality caseworkers and do not constitute a definitive set of criteria for
registration. They must be taken as a whole. The fact that children may satisfy
certain criteria does not mean they will be registered if there are other criteria that
they do not satisfy.
This indicates that they expect at least one of the parents to be British.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:00 am

How old is the child? And how long have they lived in the UK?

The caseworker guidance for registration of children as British citizens states on Page 31 that
It will rarely be right to register a child neither of whose parents is, or is about to become, a British citizen. However, each case must be considered on its individual merits and there may be exceptional circumstances to justify registration in a particular case such as:
older children (16 and above) who have spent most of their life in the UK or children who require citizenship to follow a particular career such as in the
Armed Forces
• the child’s future clearly lies in the UK
• the person making the application has day-to-day responsibility for the child’s upbringing and is, or is about to become, a British citizen
In any case, if they have ILR, they can apply for naturalisation as an adult on or after their 18th birthday anyway. They'd need to meet all the adult requirements (LITUK test, English language requirements, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

x31122010

Post by x31122010 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:42 pm

Thank you Simon.

Pg28 'Children with settlement and residence' (Caseworker guidance) is an interesting read and covers exactly the scenario we are in.
Having read this, I am seemingly confident that the HO should, under 3(1) discretion, register my child as BC.
You must normally register where:
• the child has completed a period of lawful residence in the UK of more than 5
years --> Has been in the UK lawfully for over 10 years
• the child has been granted settled status in the UK, and held that status for at
least 12 months (if an earlier application is made you must consider whether
there are compelling grounds to overlook this expectation, taking into account
the reasons for exercising discretion over time spent in the UK when subject to
immigration time restrictions in the naturalisation guidance) --> ILR granted Aprl'22 so we will have to wait until Apr'23
• the child’s parents have completed a period of 5 years residence and are settled
in the UK --> Both parents have settled status(ILR) and have been in the UK lawfully for over 10 years
• the child is of good character --> Yes. No convictions/criminal record
• where necessary both parents consent to the registration or any objections by
the non-applying parent are ill founded --> Yes, we will
• there is no reason to refuse on character grounds --> Same as Good Character requirement

I should also mention that the younger sibling was born in the UK and was registered as BC in Nov'21.

Thank you.

x31122010

Post by x31122010 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:39 am

Mods, any views on this?