ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Replacing damaged passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

escroom
Newly Registered

Replacing damaged passport

Post by escroom » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:13 pm

Hi all

I’m not sure if this is the right section but I’m hoping someone may be able to help and calm me down.

My passport needs replacing as it’s recently damaged, I have a fast track appointment next week and I am completing my paper application and I have come across something that had stumped me slightly.

I was born in the UK and am a citizen, both my parents are British (mother was born here and father was naturalised in the 60s). However the form asks that I provide my paternal grandparents personal and marriage details as my dad was born outside the UK. I am not able to provide this information as they have both passed away now but there was no contact before this for multiple years.

I am really panicking now that I won’t be able to get a replacement passport due to not providing this information. Is it acceptable for me to say I don’t have this information?!

Has anyone had experience with this or know what to include in section 8 on the form as it says is ‘either parent we’re born abroad’ to provide grandparents information.

I due to travel in the middle of October so can’t afford for this application to not be accepted and I am really nervous and stressed.

Thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Replacing damaged passport

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:35 pm

Were you born before or after 1st January 1983?
If you were born before 1983, you just need your British birth certificate.
If you were born in or after 1983, submit your birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and either your mother's British birth certificate or your father's naturalisation certificate.
If your father had been born after 1983, his British citizenship and consequently yours may have depended on his parents' birth circumstance. And the form tries to cover all bases.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

escroom
Newly Registered

Post by escroom » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:35 pm
If you were born in or after 1983, submit your birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate and either your mother's British birth certificate or your father's naturalisation certificate.
If your father had been born after 1983, his British citizenship and consequently yours may have depended on his parents' birth circumstance. And the form tries to cover all bases.
Thanks for your response.

I was born in the 90s, my dad came here in the 60s from Kenya and I don’t think he has a physical copy of his naturalisation papers. I am attending an in person appointment next week and it says all I need to take it my damaged passport. I am also planning to take my birth certificate. My mum isn’t too keen on my taking the marriage certificate, her (British) birth certificate or their passports, so I am so nervous and trying to convince her to let me take them. Would I need to leave them at the passport office?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 am

escroom wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:35 pm
Thanks for your response.

I was born in the 90s, my dad came here in the 60s from Kenya and I don’t think he has a physical copy of his naturalisation papers. I am attending an in person appointment next week and it says all I need to take it my damaged passport. I am also planning to take my birth certificate. My mum isn’t too keen on my taking the marriage certificate, her (British) birth certificate or their passports, so I am so nervous and trying to convince her to let me take them. Would I need to leave them at the passport office?
Why not just make a copy of your mum's passport and wedding certificate, and take that with you. You don't need grand-parent details. It's a replacement passport, not a 1st time passport.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!