ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen who used to be a Chinese citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

NoahZzz
Newly Registered
China

US citizen who used to be a Chinese citizen

Post by NoahZzz » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi all,

My aunt was a Chinese citizen living in Texas, US on a US green card. She got refused to enter London Heathrow Airport due to a wrong visa type (not sure the exact reason) during a Christmas holiday some years ago. Apparently, US green card holders cannot travel freely like US passport holders. Then, she basically had that bad record on her Chinese passport. Because of that record, she cannot even visit me in Dublin, Ireland. However, recently, she just became a US citizen.

So, I am wondering if she present her new USA passport at customs in UK or Ireland, will she be allowed to enter these countries for tourist reasons? Will the customs still know her old records? She is visiting me this Christmas and we urgently need this piece of information before booking a plane ticket.

Many thanks,

Noah.

meself2
Ireland

Re: US citizen who used to be a Chinese citizen

Post by meself2 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:37 am

Wouldn't be a bad idea to consult her refusal papers, which may provide information if she has any entry ban due to it or anything else
NoahZzz wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Apparently, US green card holders cannot travel freely like US passport holders.
yep, same with UK ILR and citizenship holders, for example
With regard to the questions - in theory US passport holders can go through eGates and all, but I'd expect them to have the old records in place. More knowledgeable forum members will give you better info.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:06 am

As Chinese citizens need to apply for a visitor visa to be able to visit the UK,
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
it sounds like all that happened was that she was refused entry becasue she didn't have a visitor visa?

Was she given a letter and if so, what did it say?

If she is visiting you in Dublin, will she be flying to Dublin without landling in the UK first?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:24 am

NoahZzz wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Hi all,

My aunt was a Chinese citizen living in Texas, US on a US green card. She got refused to enter London Heathrow Airport due to a wrong visa type (not sure the exact reason) during a Christmas holiday some years ago. Apparently, US green card holders cannot travel freely like US passport holders. Then, she basically had that bad record on her Chinese passport. Because of that record, she cannot even visit me in Dublin, Ireland. However, recently, she just became a US citizen.

So, I am wondering if she present her new USA passport at customs in UK or Ireland, will she be allowed to enter these countries for tourist reasons? Will the customs still know her old records? She is visiting me this Christmas and we urgently need this piece of information before booking a plane ticket. The record never really goes away as her name and DOB would flag that out. seems like a minor infraction, and I don't think she would have been banned from entering the UK because of that.

She was treated as a Chinese before, now she would be treated as an American. If stopped at the Boarder, she just needs to state what happened before and why she's here now. She should be fine.

Many thanks,

Noah.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

NoahZzz
Newly Registered
China

Post by NoahZzz » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:43 am

Thank you all for your responses.