ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settle Status -how is it checked ?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aeun-flux
Mood:

Settle Status -how is it checked ?

Post by aeun-flux » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:57 pm

Good evening all,

I believe this question may have been asked before. I have seen some blogs and etc but I am still bit confused. Here is my situation:

I am a British Citizen with 2 daughters, one with US Passport and the other with UK Passport. My Missus carries a Lithuanian Passport. Both my Older daughter and Missus have Settled status (ILR). Older daughter had a BRP which has expired around October 2021.

Our queries:-

1) We are planning to go to Lithuania very soon, will coming back be a problem for my Missus and older Daughter as they don't have a BRP or some kind of card? How will it be checked what's their immigration status?

2) Is it worth doing Citizenship for older Daughter ? or can we get a new BRP or some document like that ?

3) If we carry on as it is, and if she goes off to Uni somewhere in Europe or US or India, will her ILR/Settled status lapse?

Please advise.

Kind regards,

AEUON-Flux

P.S - i will post more questions as I m digesting the info, please bear with me....

meself2
Ireland

Re: Settle Status -how is it checked ?

Post by meself2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:19 pm

aeun-flux wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:57 pm
1) We are planning to go to Lithuania very soon, will coming back be a problem for my Missus and older Daughter as they don't have a BRP or some kind of card? How will it be checked what's their immigration status?
as far as I know settled status is linked to a passport
aeun-flux wrote:
2) Is it worth doing Citizenship for older Daughter ? or can we get a new BRP or some document like that ?
if the citizenship is worth or not you can decide for yourself; id say yes, but up to you
BRC might be something to get, but since she's a US citizen, she can board the place to go to the UK just fine, not sure if it's needed; most likely no
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... ve-applied
If you’re a national of a country requiring UK entry clearance you need a valid BRC and passport to return to the UK after travelling abroad. You may be delayed overseas if your BRC has expired or you do not have one.
aeun-flux wrote:
3) If we carry on as it is, and if she goes off to Uni somewhere in Europe or US or India, will her ILR/Settled status lapse?
yes, in 5 years
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... atus-means
If you want to spend time outside the UK
If you have settled status, you can spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man without losing your status.
that's the basis of it, but other members can give better guidance
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:59 pm

also for the third question - if it's settled status,.it'll lapse in 5 years; if it's ILR - 2 years
so check what they have
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:01 am

aeun-flux wrote:
Good evening all,

I believe this question may have been asked before. I have seen some blogs and etc but I am still bit confused. Here is my situation:

I am a British Citizen with 2 daughters, one with US Passport and the other with UK Passport. My Missus carries a Lithuanian Passport. Both my Older daughter and Missus have Settled status (ILR). Older daughter had a BRP which has expired around October 2021.

Our queries:-

Please advise.

Kind regards,

AEUON-Flux

P.S - i will post more questions as I m digesting the info, please bear with me....

I assume your daughter and your wife have settled status.

1) BRPs are being phased out and EUSS doesn't give any physical document. As other members have said, your status is linked to your passport, so they should be able to see it when their document is scanned. You can call the Home Office while at the airport if they give you problems.

2) You won't get a BRP as your daughter is on the EUSS. They are phasing them out for all immigration anyway. Yes, she can apply for British citizenship. She would maintain her US citizenship.

3) As other members have said settled status expires after 5 continuous years of absence. If she comes back once in a while she will maintain it.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:13 pm

Thanks a million to all the replies.

I think I forgot to mention an important point regarding my query.

You all may know that Ryan Air has got this process whereby their own staff check for Visas etc for Non EU/Non EEA/Non UK passengers.

Our main concern was, how will they do it for our older daughter ? will they require to be shown the email (which itself says its not a proof)? or will they be given the code from Home office website ?

Please advice.

However, if the above question about an airline process is not relevant in this forum, please accept my apologies..

AEOUN flux

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Older daughter is a US citizen?
US citizens are normally visa free to enter the UK (as visitors) so shouldn't be a problem to board the return flight.
At the UK border she shows the expired BRP card and explains - settled status doesn't expire on the card expiry date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:33 pm

aeun-flux wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:13 pm
Thanks a million to all the replies.

I think I forgot to mention an important point regarding my query.

You all may know that Ryan Air has got this process whereby their own staff check for Visas etc for Non EU/Non EEA/Non UK passengers.

Our main concern was, how will they do it for our older daughter ? will they require to be shown the email (which itself says its not a proof)? or will they be given the code from Home office website ?

Please advice.

However, if the above question about an airline process is not relevant in this forum, please accept my apologies..

AEOUN flux

This is an issue that people are encountering, some airlines only accept passports with visa stamps. Should this happen, explain the situation, and call the Home office. It's a question that depends on the airline.

The share code is only valid to check right to work and right to rent, not right to enter, and as you say, the email is not proof of status. You could log in to the account to check your status, and show that (but the airline may not accept it), or call the Home office.

Digital status is already causing issues, see here announcements/digital-status-for-all-t3 ... l#p1998030

As your daughter is a US citizen she shouldn't have this problem as she can travel to the UK visa free, but it's not the same for everyone.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:56 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

Kind regards,

AEOUN Flux