ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are e-signatures of referees ok?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

isla87
Wales

Unable to find someone who meets passport referee requirement

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 am

I think one of my referees would be suitable to sign as a professional referee for BC, but she is not a UK citizen and can't sign for the British passport if BC is approved.
Is there any way to to apply for BC and passport together?

I think given this situation, it wouldn't make sense to apply for BC if I can't apply for the passport.

vinny

Re: Unable to find someone who meets passport referee requirement

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 am

Can you think of any eligible British or Irish professional friend, neighbour or colleague, etc?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:18 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 am
Can you think of any eligible British or Irish professional friend, neighbour or colleague, etc?
Unfortunately not. The people whom I know from those professionals are not British or Irish.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:23 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 am
I know someone who was a Justice of the Peace in the past but is not now. Would this be acceptable?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:29 am

Accepted occupations for countersignatories
Your countersignatory must either:

work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
be ‘a person of good standing in their community’
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:32 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:29 am
Accepted occupations for countersignatories
Your countersignatory must either:

work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
be ‘a person of good standing in their community’
Thank you.
Does the same apply for referees for British citizenship or can the referees for naturalisation not be retired?

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:37 am

Also, I became self-employed in June, so don't yet have a statement of account. Is it ok if I apply without submitting this?

isla87
Wales

BC application requires self assessment tax return but I only became self-employed this year

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:52 am

Even though I mentioned that the start date of self employment is June 2022, the checklist shows I must submit a tax return for the latest complete tax year and statement of account at HMRC. I don't have these documents as my self employment is new.
How do I notify them of this?

Also, I was on tier 2 when I got ILR 2 years ago. Does it matter that I left the job?

vinny

Re: BC application requires self assessment tax return but I only became self-employed this year

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:01 am

The latest completed tax year ended on 5th April 2022.

isla87
Wales

Re: BC application requires self assessment tax return but I only became self-employed this year

Post by isla87 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:50 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:01 am
The latest completed tax year ended on 5th April 2022.
Hello
Yes, but since my self employment started in June 2022, I haven't yet submitted a self assessment. My first self assessment will be for the year ending April 2023.

isla87
Wales

Can the director of a dormant limited company be a referee?

Post by isla87 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 pm

Also, does it have to be VAT-regsitered?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Can the director of a dormant limited company be a referee?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am

isla87 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 pm
Also, does it have to be VAT-regsitered?
VAT registration is normally governed by turnover threshold, so if company is below threshold it doesn't need to be registered. And for naturalisations earnings and taxes are not a requirement.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:09 am

I read some old posts from last year of people who had no issues with immigration but were denied naturalisation on the basis on "deception" in their immigration applications?

Just wondering if this is happening frequently nowadays?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:32 am

isla87 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:09 am
I read some old posts from last year of people who had no issues with immigration but were denied naturalisation on the basis on "deception" in their immigration applications?

Can't comment on how frequent this might be - we only see what has is shared by readers here.
There's probably a government statistic somewhere as to the reasons why applications are refused.
Note that immigration/visa/ILR applications have different requirements (based on the UK immigration regulations) whereas naturalisation is governed by the British Nationality Act, and good character is looked at more closely, at the discretion of the Home Secretary.
Do you have a specific concern? Referee of dormant company?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:24 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:32 am
isla87 wrote:

Can't comment on how frequent this might be - we only see what has is shared by readers here.
There's probably a government statistic somewhere as to the reasons why applications are refused.
Note that immigration/visa/ILR applications have different requirements (based on the UK immigration regulations) whereas naturalisation is governed by the British Nationality Act, and good character is looked at more closely, at the discretion of the Home Secretary.
Hi
Thank you. I read a couple of threads from 2021 where the applicants were refused naturalisation and the reason was that they used deception in their immigration applications. They had no clue as to what was going on and they had no issues getting ILR either, so it was the first time that they'd heard of the deception accusation!
So made me wonder if this is something that is happening of late since you can't appeal their decision.

I do have concerns as to whether the referee can be a director of a dormant company, but that's not linked to my question about the refusals though.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:08 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:32 am
isla87 wrote:

This case in particular makes me wonder if it's worth it applying if they can just accuse you of deception with no details and no appeal rights.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 12359.html

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Unfortunately the member (@kash87) hasn't been back since Feb 2021.... so we don't know what the actual outcome was (if any).
I think trawling through older posts may lead you (and others) to see problems where there are none - and overthinking in the process. Nobody wants to loose their fees so we try to get everything spot-on. There aren't that many cases reported like the one you found. And without knowing the full details of this or similar cases it's difficult to comment. The majority of applicants posting here do get their approval, and many with long and complex immigration histories.

isla87
Wales

Can the referee be living at the same address as the applicant?

Post by isla87 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:07 pm

Wondering if my housemate can sign?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Can the referee be living at the same address as the applicant?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:15 pm

Yes, as long as referee qualifies and is not related to you.

te23

Post by te23 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:38 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:15 pm
I thought having the same home address disqualifies a person from being a referee?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:15 pm

te23 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:38 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:15 pm
I thought having the same home address disqualifies a person from being a referee?
You thought wrong. Read the guide, the only restriction is they cannot be related to you or the other referee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

isla87
Wales

NHS prescriptions penalty charges: do these have to be declared?

Post by isla87 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:26 pm

If these are issued and paid, do these have to be declared as penalties on the citizenship form?

isla87
Wales

Re: NHS prescriptions penalty charges: do these have to be declared?

Post by isla87 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:58 pm

Hello

Could someone please advise?

Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:16 pm

There's no specific guidance on this aspect of dealing with the NHS.
There are however mentions of NHS related issues in the good character guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
(search for "health")
If it was a one-off mistake (or more often?) why not declare it and explain the background?
We can't know how this will be be viewed suffice to say I haven't seen refusals based on your scenario, but others may know.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:41 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:16 pm
There's no specific guidance on this aspect of dealing with the NHS.
There are however mentions of NHS related issues in the good character guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
(search for "health")
If it was a one-off mistake (or more often?) why not declare it and explain the background?
We can't know how this will be be viewed suffice to say I haven't seen refusals based on your scenario, but others may know.
Thank you. It is an error at their end because I had a valid exemption. Have challenged the decision.

I also wanted to know how to prove 5 years of residence. Do I scan every page of my passport to upload?