ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postponing Naturalisation Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Postponing Naturalisation Ceremony

Post by CPradeep » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:46 pm

My wife's naturalisation got approved on Sept 18th 2022 and we have been asked to take the citizenship ceremony on 10th Nov 22.
I have booked flights to India on 15th December and will be coming back to the UK on Jan 15th 2023. The possibility of getting the British passport is very less before I fly to India.

Once my wife takes the ceremony she won't be able to travel without a British passport

The ceremony should be taken within 90 days from the date of approval.

Is there any way we can postpone the ceremony after I come back from India after Jan 15th 2023?

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: Postponing Naturalisation Ceremony

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:09 pm

Congratulations!

Ask the council if they can give you a later date? The 15th Jan is more than 90 days after the 18th Sept, but because of coronavirus the 90 days limit had been extended to 180 https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:13 am

Thanks for your response.
Yes corona they have extended but now it is 90 days.
I read some where we need to reapply if I miss that 90 days period.
Not sure I am not getting any concrete answer in any of the website or other optiona how I can postpone without reapplying
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:28 am

Have you considered booking a private ceremony, at an extra cost, for sooner?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 am

CPradeep wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:13 am
Thanks for your response.
Yes corona they have extended but now it is 90 days.
I read some where we need to reapply if I miss that 90 days period.
Not sure I am not getting any concrete answer in any of the website or other optiona how I can postpone without reapplying
Thanks
Have you checked with the local council about the 90 days? Or like CR001 suggests, get a private ceremony.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:01 pm

I have sent an email to the local council and home office asking for guidance .Briefly they have said if we don't attend the ceremony the "Naturalisation Certificate" will be returned to the home office but to get back and arrange an ceremony back they are not sure if any fee is involved .so I have wait for the reply

fingers crossed ,Let me know if you get any info please

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:48 am

CPradeep wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:01 pm
I have sent an email to the local council and home office asking for guidance .Briefly they have said if we don't attend the ceremony the "Naturalisation Certificate" will be returned to the home office but to get back and arrange an ceremony back they are not sure if any fee is involved .so I have wait for the reply

fingers crossed ,Let me know if you get any info please
Why sending emails with such short deadlines? Why not take a day off and go to your local council and make the necessary enquiries.
The HO has no business with you right now, you business is with your council until they return your cert back to sender (HO).
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:05 am

The council is near to my house but they prefer email as the ceremony officer works different timings and they can't promise on the availability.

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 am

UPDATE :
the council ceremony officer emailed me saying the period for taking ceremony is up to 6 months. So I am good with 6 months.

If anyone in my situation send an email explaining the situation to council and postpone your ceremony which can be up to 6 months

In all the websites its mentioned as 3 months when you are in UK

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 pm

CPradeep wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 am
UPDATE :
the council ceremony officer emailed me saying the period for taking ceremony is up to 6 months. So I am good with 6 months.

If anyone in my situation send an email explaining the situation to council and postpone your ceremony which can be up to 6 months

In all the websites its mentioned as 3 months when you are in UK
That provided some clarity. Good of you to update.

Vamsij
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vamsij » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:50 am

I am in a similar situation. Its said that one can tavel with Indian passport within 90 days provided British passport is not issued i.e. guidance from India consulate.
Do you know if there is any issue with British immigration at airport during onward and return travel. Not sure which authority to contact.

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 am

You might be denied boarding when leaving the country you visit without a valid visa or British passport. You can travel out but it might be difficult to come back.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:06 pm

Vamsij wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:50 am
I am in a similar situation. Its said that one can tavel with Indian passport within 90 days provided British passport is not issued i.e. guidance from India consulate.
Do you know if there is any issue with British immigration at airport during onward and return travel. Not sure which authority to contact.
you can travel out of the country, but the issue is that when you go back your Indian passport alone doesn't give you any right to go to the UK -> airline will most likely deny you boarding as they don't want to pay for your return if they let you on the flight by mistake.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

CPradeep
Newly Registered

Post by CPradeep » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:18 am

Meself2 comments are valid.
Because when you take ceremony you have to destroy your BRP card, returning to UK will be a problem in immigration.. Not sure if they will allow with naturalisation certificate only

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:24 am

CPradeep wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:18 am
Meself2 comments are valid.
Because when you take ceremony you have to destroy your BRP card, returning to UK will be a problem in immigration.. Not sure if they will allow with naturalisation certificate only
the UK officials on the border will, since you're a UK citizen, that just might take some time. But you need a way to get to the border and airlines will not go with naturalization certificate to let you on board; it's not a travel document, they can't be sure it's you as it has no picture and all, so this is the part to be worried about.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.