ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for NHS bursary

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Applying for NHS bursary

Post by Ticktack » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:38 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:16 pm
Ticktack wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:59 am
How long you've lived here doesn't matter, it's what you're entitled to or not that matters.
Just to clarify, in this particular case, the length of the residence in the UK does matter.

Home Student status and student funding is available for non-UK/EEA citizens who have lived in the UK for more than half their lives (if they are between the age 18-24) or for more than 20 years (if they are over the age of 25) on the first day of the first year of their course.

So it is the length of their stay that makes the OP eligible for (not entitled to) the funding.
Agreed, but when I looked at this issue in-depth. The length of stay has to have been legal in it's entirety.

OP was an overstayer and was granted leave on partner 10 year basis. OP later changed it to 5 year route.
Let's say OP finished the first 2.5 years, the 4 years on current leave max. That's 6.5 years.

How does this now apply to the current mathematical calculation! Just pondering :?:
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:44 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:38 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Ticktack wrote:
How long you've lived here doesn't matter, it's what you're entitled to or not that matters.
Just to clarify, in this particular case, the length of the residence in the UK does matter.

Home Student status and student funding is available for non-UK/EEA citizens who have lived in the UK for more than half their lives (if they are between the age 18-24) or for more than 20 years (if they are over the age of 25) on the first day of the first year of their course.

So it is the length of their stay that makes the OP eligible for (not entitled to) the funding.
Agreed, but when I looked at this issue in-depth. The length of stay has to have been legal in it's entirety.

OP was an overstayer and was granted leave on partner 10 year basis. OP later changed it to 5 year route.
Let's say OP finished the first 2.5 years, the 4 years on current leave max. That's 6.5 years.

How does this now apply to the current mathematical calculation! Just pondering :?:
You should ask yourself ok,if she was granted stay under 10yrs then changed it to 5yrs how long had she been here before she was granted stay?

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:47 pm

Ticktack wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Maths is not that hard just people make it look hard.
Every site states that one has to be legally here min 3 yrs without no gap....

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:52 pm

Ticktack wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Also Do you know that once you put in your application and HO acknowledges they have your application and they are processing it you are still legally allowed to work?No matter how many months they take to give you feedback?

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:54 pm

Ticktack wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

Or those months are classified as ghost months?Help me understand here...

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:54 pm

There you go. You already had your answer. I thought you were looking for an opinion. I'm not a legally trained person, and by all means you don't have to listen to anything I or anyone here says.

We can only proffer opinions on how we see it. You're free to always do what's best for you. At the end of the day, you know your situation better than anyone on the planet.

Please keep us updated. As this is always a learning curve for everyone.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:54 pm
There you go. You already had your answer. I thought you were looking for an opinion. I'm not a legally trained person, and by all means you don't have to listen to anything I or anyone here says.

We can only proffer opinions on how we see it. You're free to always do what's best for you. At the end of the day, you know your situation better than anyone on the planet.

Please keep us updated. As this is always a learning curve for everyone.
Thank you...

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:01 pm

Happymummy wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:47 pm
That is the minimum residence requirement that applies for those who also meet the other requirements (such as being a British citizen, etc).

So, for instance, if you are a British citizen by descent and have lived abroad all your life, you can't arrive a month or so before the start of the course and get Home Student status. You would still be classified as an Overseas student, even though you were born a British citizen, because of this three year requirement.

So you need a minimum of three years residence in the UK AND may also need to meet other requirements, including longer periods of residence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:12 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:01 pm
Happymummy wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:47 pm
That is the minimum residence requirement that applies for those who also meet the other requirements (such as being a British citizen, etc).

So, for instance, if you are a British citizen by descent and have lived abroad all your life, you can't arrive a month or so before the start of the course and get Home Student status. You would still be classified as an Overseas student, even though you were born a British citizen, because of this three year requirement.

So you need a minimum of three years residence in the UK AND may also need to meet other requirements, including longer periods of residence.
Thanks for this,and yes I have been here minimum of 3 yrs.
I just wanted to know if it is public fund and will it affect me when I renew my stay.That is all.