ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 1G to temp Stamp 4, is it necessary?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CatBrom
Canada

Stamp 1G to temp Stamp 4, is it necessary?

Post by CatBrom » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:48 am

Hi everyone,

I had a question and it may be very obvious but I can’t find any answer anywhere. I recently renewed my Stamp 1G while I was waiting for my letter to allow me to get a Stamp 4. However, my Stamp 4 would only be valid until 31 March 2023 while my Stamp 1G is valid until August 2023. My worry is that my application will take longer than 6 months to process and I will have to deal with getting my temporary permissions extended. So is it necessary to switch? Or will my application probably be processed within that timeframe in which case switching to a Stamp 4 would make sense?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Stamp 1G to temp Stamp 4, is it necessary?

Post by littlerr » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:04 pm

It’s completely up to you. I would get it were I in your shoes.

Stamp 4 offers much more flexibility than 1G does, but unless you want to start a new business or want to leave the country for up to 6 months a year, there isn’t much difference.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:15 pm

This is true, I like the flexibility. I think I will change it. I know that the department gives extensions if needed as well:

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 pm

I'd say it might even improve your chances of landing a job slightly, since employer won't have to deal with work permits.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:41 am

I have a job right now based on my stamp 1G. It is a permanent role but they get antsy when it comes to my immigration status. They were panicking when I was concerned about my Stamp 1G expiring and it may not be renewed in time. It was and nothing went wrong but they said that it would be “very bad” if my permissions expired even while I had an active application. EDIT: this is also a graduate scheme stamp so no work permit.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:14 pm

CatBrom wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:41 am
I have a job right now based on my stamp 1G. It is a permanent role but they get antsy when it comes to my immigration status. They were panicking when I was concerned about my Stamp 1G expiring and it may not be renewed in time. It was and nothing went wrong but they said that it would be “very bad” if my permissions expired even while I had an active application. EDIT: this is also a graduate scheme stamp so no work permit.
I know it's no work permit now, but in the eyes of a prospective employer, the main way to make your status more stable from 1G (since you can't have it for very long) is to sponsor you for Stamp 1 via work permit; having Stamp 4 when working/applying takes possible burden of dealing with your immigration status off your employer's hands
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

CatBrom
Canada

Post by CatBrom » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:21 pm

My employer does not sponsor visas, I would have to get a general permit. So there’s no real point in going through the process and spending the money. So the onus would always be on me, rather than my employer.