ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GTV promise_peer review route RAeng_mandatory criterea

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tttttt
Newly Registered
Russia

GTV promise_peer review route RAeng_mandatory criterea

Post by tttttt » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for GTV for the peer review route.
I have a couple of questions.

I am 29. My record is Hirsh 11 with 10 first-authored papers in good journals. I just finished PhD in UK and I have some work experience in science. I also had been doing my PhD as a part of the Horizon 2020 project and there is my name on the EU portal as a participant, but the main grant holder is my supervisor. This project paid for my PhD fees and scholarship. I also held one small research project as a grant holder (~5 000 GBP for 2 years) in my home country during my master's. And I have an offer for a Postdoc position.

So 2 questions:

1. Do you think a have a chance with Exceptional promise peer review route?

2. One of the mandatory criteria according to RAeng is "You must have been awarded, or have held in the last five years, a prestigious UK‐based research fellowship, an international fellowship or advanced post judged by the endorsing body to be equivalent to such a fellowship."
Do you think participance in Horizon 2020 will be counted as that?

Thank you!
I'd love to hear about your experience with this route and especially what you showed for the last criteria.

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: GTV promise_peer review route RAeng_mandatory criterea

Post by anonvtic » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:50 pm

tttttt wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:15 pm
So 2 questions:

2. One of the mandatory criteria according to RAeng is "You must have been awarded, or have held in the last five years, a prestigious UK‐based research fellowship, an international fellowship or advanced post judged by the endorsing body to be equivalent to such a fellowship."

Thank you!
I'd love to hear about your experience with this route and especially what you showed for the last criteria.
1. Yes. I applied for RAEng endorsement with just 8 months of post-doc experience. I had only 3 first-author journal papers, and a couple of conference papers, 1 patent and 1 turned-down patent-application. Your chance of success also depends on how you spin your 2000-word statement in the application, the strength of your recommendation letter from a reputed UK professor, and the RAEng evaluator that assesses your application. Others fresh out of a PhD have been approved, whilst I know someone with a 2 year post-doc experience was rejected. The reco letter should absolutely cover the 5 aspects they require.

2. Participation in H2020 alone will not count towards the fellowship requirement. However, there is a rider in the eligibility criteria which states that you can have served in an advanced research position, and that is pretty open-ended, which many applications (including myself) used to project the strengths of our research.

tttttt
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by tttttt » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks a lot for your reply

usman14
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by usman14 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Do you think applying without a PhD and with only one publication still holds any chance if you really have stellar letters and statements?
anonvtic wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:50 pm
tttttt wrote:
So 2 questions:

Thank you!
1. Yes. I applied for RAEng endorsement with just 8 months of post-doc experience. I had only 3 first-author journal papers, and a couple of conference papers, 1 patent and 1 turned-down patent-application. Your chance of success also depends on how you spin your 2000-word statement in the application, the strength of your recommendation letter from a reputed UK professor, and the RAEng evaluator that assesses your application. Others fresh out of a PhD have been approved, whilst I know someone with a 2 year post-doc experience was rejected. The reco letter should absolutely cover the 5 aspects they require.

2. Participation in H2020 alone will not count towards the fellowship requirement. However, there is a rider in the eligibility criteria which states that you can have served in an advanced research position, and that is pretty open-ended, which many applications (including myself) used to project the strengths of our research.

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by anonvtic » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:50 am

usman14 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 pm
Do you think applying without a PhD and with only one publication still holds any chance if you really have stellar letters and statements?
1. The Stage 1 endorsement application form had a field to list the details of and provide an accessible link to each of the applicant's publications (when I applied, in Feb 2020). Don't know if this form has been updated since then.

2. If you think you meet the eligibility criteria for exceptional promise, and are still contributing to original research in your field, please make an objective judgment call (perhaps by having a friend who is familiar with your field review & assess the strength of your application). I personally think that a strong letter from the UK professor is important. Do make sure that the academic who writes the letter explicitly addresses the 5 aspects asked for. Secondly, publications and patents are certainly important, and finally, the statement of purpose is your chance to provide a well-rounded explanation of your research and its importance to the UK society and economy and try and make a cogent case.

For the peer review route, a stage 1 endorsement application needs to holistically convey the strengths of your research and its benefits to the wider community through a combination of these individual elements.

asarush
Newly Registered

Post by asarush » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 pm

tttttt wrote:
Hi everyone,

I want to apply for GTV for the peer review route.
I have a couple of questions.

I am 29. My record is Hirsh 11 with 10 first-authored papers in good journals. I just finished PhD in UK and I have some work experience in science. I also had been doing my PhD as a part of the Horizon 2020 project and there is my name on the EU portal as a participant, but the main grant holder is my supervisor. This project paid for my PhD fees and scholarship. I also held one small research project as a grant holder (~5 000 GBP for 2 years) in my home country during my master's. And I have an offer for a Postdoc position.

So 2 questions:

Thank you!

@tttttt How did it go with your endorsement application? I am in a very similar situation as you (fresh out of PhD in UK and with postdoc offer) and would like to know if I may have a chance. If your application is successful, could you let me know if there was anything specific that you submitted (which may help with the application).
Thanks!

tttttt
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by tttttt » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:54 am

Hi!

I got endorsement after 5 weeks and finally got my visa!

In my application I was trying to show proofs for each of their criteria.

You must be an active researcher in a relevant field, typically in a university, research institute or in industry; -> showed my citations, patent and that few of my publication in top 10% according to SciVal and my participation in projects

You must have a PhD or equivalent research experience (including industrial or clinical research);-> showed my degree

You must be at an early stage in your career; -> I have lees then 8 years of experience

You must have been awarded, or have held in the last five years, a prestigious UK‐based research fellowship, an international fellowship or advanced post judged by the endorsing body to be equivalent to such a fellowship. -> asked my HR for official offer letter for postdoc position

And also mentioned in my Personal statement that I do research in priority field for the UK ((UKRI strategy)

Don't know if that helps :)
Good luck with you application!

@tttttt How did it go with your endorsement application? I am in a very similar situation as you (fresh out of PhD in UK and with postdoc offer) and would like to know if I may have a chance. If your application is successful, could you let me know if there was anything specific that you submitted (which may help with the application).
Thanks!
[/quote]

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by anonvtic » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:38 pm

Congrats. As I had said, the criteria bar is not insurmountable. We just need to present the whole portfolio carefully to be able to touch on the relevant aspects.