ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FBR Citizenship Through Grandparent Issues

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

thatperson
Newly Registered

FBR Citizenship Through Grandparent Issues

Post by thatperson » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:44 am

Hello! Me and my siblings looking to get citizenship through my grandparents and I have come across a couple issues and wondered if anybody had a similar experience or advice.

Firstly, both my grandparents (who have both passed away) changed their names when they moved to the UK however, the didn't change their name by deed poll and just started calling themselves something different. So on my grandmother's certificates it say Bridgit Yule at birth and Nuala Bridgit at marriage and death, these were rejected on my father's passport application, does anyone know of a way to over come this? (My grandfather has a similar but lesser issue where his middle name is different on his marriage and death certificate)

Secondly, I (for personal reasons) have no way of getting my father's ID. Is there a way around this? In the past for other things i have had to get a solicitor to sign a confirmation of estrangement, does this apply here?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer :)

G Dog
Ireland

Re: FBR Citizenship Through Grandparent Issues

Post by G Dog » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:07 pm

It sounds like you have little to no chance, unfortunately, and that can be gauged by the outcome of your father's application decision . To gain approval, the onus is on yourself to prove citizenship through descent but if the available official records contradict what you have then it would be impossible to prove that. Official records of name changes are kept i.e my mother was born in Ireland, but the name on my birth certificate does not match the name I use on a daily basis (my mum remarried and I started using my stepdad's name, but he had the foresight to legally adopt me so I was able to use the adoption certificate as proof of name change). You might be best discussing your options with an immigration lawyer or speak to the DFA and explain the situation.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:40 pm

Totally agree with G Dog's reply that your best option here is to talk to an Immigration lawyer.

Also, you only need 1 Irish born grandparent, so I would recommend using the 1 that you have the most documents for. Regarding the name changes, it sounds like a case "proof of usage", i.e. not officially changed but used for a substantial period of time. I'm not sure how easy it is to do this with another person (it's normally something you would do for yourself). Do you have driver's license, passport etc for either of your grandparents? Any type of national insurance number or card that can connect the 2 names?

Anyway, talk to an attorney. Good luck!

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:20 am

thatperson wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:44 am
Secondly, I (for personal reasons) have no way of getting my father's ID. Is there a way around this? In the past for other things i have had to get a solicitor to sign a confirmation of estrangement, does this apply here?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer :)
You're not the first to encounter this obstacle. Have a look through the huge FBR discussion thread and search for "estranged" or similar terms.
search.php?keywords=estranged&t=277641&sf=msgonly

I recall people have managed to complete the FBR process despite being no-contact with their parent.