ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 1G Third Level Counting Towards Reckonable Residence Now?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

handoubleu
United States of America

Stamp 1G Third Level Counting Towards Reckonable Residence Now?

Post by handoubleu » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:40 am

"Westpheling, a non-EU migrant, had always assumed that her two years on a 1G stamp as a graduate from an Irish university didn’t count.

But they do, said a spokesperson for the Department of Justice on 16 September. Both for graduates and partners of skilled workers who get an immigration stamp with the same name, they said."

https://dublininquirer.com/2022/09/21/h ... on-website

Can anyone confirm this is true?

CatBrom
Canada

Re: Stamp 1G Third Level Counting Towards Reckonable Residence Now?

Post by CatBrom » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:00 am

If this is true then it’s a big deal but I have never heard of this being the case because all info I’ve seen says otherwise. If DOJ is confirming it though, that is important.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:02 am

I too had always been under the impression this did not count. The article goes onto say:

"Stephen Kirwan, partner and solicitor at the law firm KOD Lyons said he started to doubt himself when he read the website. “I was kind of going, but I’ve applied for clients for years.”

Said Kirwan: “You will never really know how many people were adversely affected by this and were dissuaded from applying for citizenship when they could.”

This would be huge, and great news, for many. I wish they had linked the DOJ's spokespersons confirmation. . .I cannot find anything official elsewhere to confirm.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:18 am

Interesting. It says on ISD website:
While on a Stamp 1G, your other permissions and conditions remain the same as for Stamp 2
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/registe ... categories
If it's reckonable residence now - great news.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:59 am

This is what I had based my assumptions off as well.

The author has since linked the confirmation by the DOJ -

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -statement

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 pm

That’s very interesting and could have major implications for a lot of people who were on this stamp.

I don’t think it’s correct. The Press Office is seldom directly involved in citizenship process and May have just provided an incorrect piece of advice/

I have sent an RFI to both the Citizenship team and the Press Office. Let’s see what they say.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:00 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:36 pm
That’s very interesting and could have major implications for a lot of people who were on this stamp.

I don’t think it’s correct. The Press Office is seldom directly involved in citizenship process and May have just provided an incorrect piece of advice/

I have sent an RFI to both the Citizenship team and the Press Office. Let’s see what they say.
Please do. I was shocked and even more surprised seeing the citizenship offices’ press spokesperson’s email to the author of the article confirming this. I also contacted a solicitor who agreed with the article which is very confusing since another solicitor I’ve spoken with have said the opposite. I would be interested to hear if there have been applications made by anyone using their Stamp 1G from the third level graduates scheme successfully. The article did discuss the implications this would have in that there would be people who have then missed opportunities. On the other hand, if this is the case it would be amazing news for others going forward.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:56 am

Ok this is a bombshell. The Citizenship team has just confirmed to me that all Stamp 1G permissions count as reckonable residence, regardless of how they were obtained.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:56 am
Ok this is a bombshell. The Citizenship team has just confirmed to me that all Stamp 1G permissions count as reckonable residence, regardless of how they were obtained.
I am actually shocked, but thrilled personally. I also hope this becoming more public/aware does not change anything in the future e.g. that they renege or implement a new policy to change this anytime soon in response.

My understanding is that in theory, Stamp 2 is granted on the idea that the recipients main purpose to come to the State is to take up study/engage in full time study whereas Stamp 1G was an extension of this. However, I can see the argument that while Stamp 1G is granted as a stepping stone, so to speak, into the workforce, recipients are working while on this permission and the purpose is not full time study.

Hopefully this does not change!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:44 pm

Kinda weird that Stamp 1A doesn't count as reckonable but 1G does.

So a college graduate can spend 2 years in looking for a job, in which time is considered reckonable, but once they get an exciting full-time job offer in any of the 'Big Four' accountancy firms, the next 3-4 years won't be counted as reckonable...

Anyway, it's better than nothing. It should help expedite quite a few college graduates in getting their citizenship a year or 2 years earlier than expected.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm

Just to update, they put it on the website as well now.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/registe ... on-stamps/
Note: Periods spent on Stamp 1G either as a Graduate Student or a Spouse/de facto partner of a Critical Skills Employment Permit holder or a Spouse/de facto partner of Researchers in the State on Hosting Agreements are considered as reckonable residence for the purpose of making an application for Citizenship/Naturalisation.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.