ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning to Ireland with IRP after receiving approval?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cosmic89
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Returning to Ireland with IRP after receiving approval?

Post by cosmic89 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:16 am

Has anyone been in this position or maybe know of someone who has?

Visa required national and spouse of Irish national. Got my citizenship approval in September, and have already made payment and sent IRP copy and payment acknowledgment received.

Since August I have temporarily moved to another country with my Irish spouse. I need to return to Ireland on my own for the December ceremony.

Will I be able to return with my IRP? Does anyone know if it is indeed cancelled once you receive approval?

Or should I apply for a tourist visa from where I am now?

Thanks in advance.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Returning to Ireland with IRP after receiving approval?

Post by jesonnn » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:09 am

cosmic89 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:16 am

Visa required national and spouse of Irish national. Got my citizenship approval in September, and have already made payment and sent IRP copy and payment acknowledgment received.

Since August I have temporarily moved to another country with my Irish spouse. I need to return to Ireland on my own for the December ceremony.

Will I be able to return with my IRP? Does anyone know if it is indeed cancelled once you receive approval?

Thanks in advance.
Has your irp been expired? If so you definitely need a visa

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:15 am

Assuming your IRP is in date, you should be fine; airlines will just check the validity on the card itself and on Irish border I'd expect them to either just let you through or quiz you about the journey before doing so (and I hope you notified ISD about your absence if it was more than six weeks, which sounds like it).
Also, thinking logically, if ISD would cancel your IRP between now and your ceremony, on what legal basis would you be in the country? But that's just my speculation.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:21 am

Forgot to add:
You are not yet a citizen before you got the certificate, so can't see why they'd cancel IRPs. Before they used to just ask people to send them back, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're cancelled before you got your cert.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

cosmic89
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by cosmic89 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:28 am

jesonnn wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:09 am
cosmic89 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:16 am

Thanks in advance.
Has your irp been expired? If so you definitely need a visa
No, IRP is still valid until Oct 2023.
Just wondering after getting if after getting approval if IRP is still valid for entry or not.

cosmic89
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by cosmic89 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:34 am

meself2 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:15 am
Assuming your IRP is in date, you should be fine; airlines will just check the validity on the card itself and on Irish border I'd expect them to either just let you through or quiz you about the journey before doing so (and I hope you notified ISD about your absence if it was more than six weeks, which sounds like it).
Also, thinking logically, if ISD would cancel your IRP between now and your ceremony, on what legal basis would you be in the country? But that's just my speculation.
My IRP is valid till Oct 2023. You make a valid point about IRP cancellation from approval till ceremony. So most likely IRP is not cancelled if going by that argument.
So the other issue then is I have not notified ISD about absence which is/will be more than six weeks. Which raises the question is my IRP still valid if away from the country more than six weeks?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:44 am

cosmic89 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:34 am
meself2 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:15 am
My IRP is valid till Oct 2023. You make a valid point about IRP cancellation from approval till ceremony. So most likely IRP is not cancelled if going by that argument.
So the other issue then is I have not notified ISD about absence which is/will be more than six weeks. Which raises the question is my IRP still valid if away from the country more than six weeks?
From post1968910.html#p1968910 :
I don't think INIS has given a definitive number. The 183 days' requirement is more for the taxation purpose.

The normal rule would be minimum 9 months of residence for Stamp 1/4, 6 months for Stamp 4EUFAM, and 1 or 0 day for IIP Stamp 4. However, in the current situation, I don't think they are actually enforcing the rule at all (as long as you can provide evidence that you are still working full time with your company). As INIS mentioned, a pragmatic approach will be applied.
So it'll certainly be valid. No idea if noncompliance with citizenship division requirements will be an issue at this stage though as you had to let them know that you're away for long beforehand. (ref. https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... processing)
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.
To be honest, doubt that they'll impede you at this stage, especially since there's, like, 6 weeks left, but they legally can. Not sure what's the best option to deal with this, hopefully other folks can give advice.

cosmic89
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by cosmic89 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:57 am

Thanks @meself2. It certainly is a minefield. Hopefully someone else might know exactly what the situation is.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:09 pm

Your IRP card is valid until the expiry date or the date you become an Irish citizen, whichever is sooner.

In theory, an IRP card should be cancelled on the day of your ceremony. However, that is simply impractical. I doubt if they cancel any existing IRP cards at all.

You can travel with a valid IRP card before your ceremony, or with a re-entry visa after your ceremony.

siseñor
Saudi Arabia

Post by siseñor » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:19 pm

Just to add to the above. I got approval a few weeks ago and I have travelled after for a month and came back just last week. The passport control officer just asked me about the country I came from and then about how the weather was where I was then proceeded to joke about how the whether is shit here (it was after the thunderstorms/Wicklow wind turbine fire). The passport control officers are usually really nice and make me happy to return to my new home. I don't think he had any info about my citizenship approval based on our interaction.

cosmic89
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by cosmic89 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:58 am

littlerr wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:09 pm
Your IRP card is valid until the expiry date or the date you become an Irish citizen, whichever is sooner.

In theory, an IRP card should be cancelled on the day of your ceremony. However, that is simply impractical. I doubt if they cancel any existing IRP cards at all.

You can travel with a valid IRP card before your ceremony, or with a re-entry visa after your ceremony.
Thanks, this is good to know. Definitely makes my trip back a lot easier.

cosmic89
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by cosmic89 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:00 am

siseñor wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:19 pm
Just to add to the above. I got approval a few weeks ago and I have travelled after for a month and came back just last week. The passport control officer just asked me about the country I came from and then about how the weather was where I was then proceeded to joke about how the whether is shit here (it was after the thunderstorms/Wicklow wind turbine fire). The passport control officers are usually really nice and make me happy to return to my new home. I don't think he had any info about my citizenship approval based on our interaction.
Very reassuring, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully weather is all we'll chat about about as I'm in a nice sunny place rn 🙂

rasojik415
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by rasojik415 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:51 pm

cosmic89 how did it go? have you attended your citizenship ceremony with no issues?

I am also in same situation. Will need to come back to my home country now but my ceremony will be in June.
Looks my IRP card will be valid because I am permanent resident now but how will department react for the 4 months absence?

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:25 pm

rasojik415 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:51 pm
cosmic89 how did it go? have you attended your citizenship ceremony with no issues?

I am also in same situation. Will need to come back to my home country now but my ceremony will be in June.
Looks my IRP card will be valid because I am permanent resident now but how will department react for the 4 months absence?
According the rule if you leave state for over 6 weeks since you applied for citizenship and if you did so it should not be a problem if department accepted that, otherwise you are breaking the rule and it's hard to comment thier reaction

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:06 pm

jesonnn wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:25 pm
rasojik415 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:51 pm

According the rule if you leave state for over 6 weeks since you applied for citizenship and if you did so it should not be a problem if department accepted that, otherwise you are breaking the rule and it's hard to comment thier reaction
Well, you have to let them know.
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.
If they decide to act on it is another question, but since you ticked the box you aim to live in Ireland after naturalization, they may expect good reasons.