ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

simonmicheal
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by simonmicheal » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:49 pm

Need some help,

Got this reply today

Up-to-date Proof of Address, (a recent utility bill , bank statement or correspondence issued by a Government Department) – only required if address supplied has changed since application was submitted. If your home address remains the same please confirm your address by return email.

The photo ID you submitted for your Father was not certified by an approved witness. Please submit certified valid photo ID for your Father which can be sent via return email. This should be certified as a true copy of the original document by an approved witness who should sign, stamp and date it.

Want to get this done quickly as possible,

Can I send this electronically Photos and Utility Bill ?
What does this mean ''This should be certified as a true copy of the original document' ?
Do I just need witness to sign i.e. doctor, bank manager do they need to know my Father ?
If I get a witness to sign ho do I send electronically ?

Thanks

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:57 pm

simonmicheal wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:49 pm
Need some help,

Got this reply today

Up-to-date Proof of Address, (a recent utility bill , bank statement or correspondence issued by a Government Department) – only required if address supplied has changed since application was submitted. If your home address remains the same please confirm your address by return email.

The photo ID you submitted for your Father was not certified by an approved witness. Please submit certified valid photo ID for your Father which can be sent via return email. This should be certified as a true copy of the original document by an approved witness who should sign, stamp and date it.

Want to get this done quickly as possible,

Can I send this electronically Photos and Utility Bill ?
What does this mean ''This should be certified as a true copy of the original document' ?
Do I just need witness to sign i.e. doctor, bank manager do they need to know my Father ?
If I get a witness to sign ho do I send electronically ?

Thanks
When I submitted a copy of my mother's ID it was signed by my witness, dated, and he included his business card (he was a lawyer at my company). As I understood it they are certifying that it is a genuine copy of the original, not that they personally know the person.

If they're saying you can send it by email, I'm guessing they just want you to scan the copy of the ID with the witness's signature, info (stamp or business card) and date. You can clarify this with them if you want.

For the proof of address it sounds like this is part of the address confirmation. If your address changed, (mine had), you just need to reply and attached a copy of utility bill, bank statement, etc with your new address. If your address didn't change, just reply telling them the address they have is correct.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Good luck.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered

Post by JoannaKJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:18 am

I can practically smell the Guinness:

Application: 7 June 2020
Documents received: 23 July 2020
Address confirmation (with typos and no promises - see earlier post): 14 October 2022
Congratulations: 26 October 2022

My congratulations email says my certificate is already posted, so I definitely think my team does the address check at the very beginning of the process and the congratulations at the very end. Twelve days is not at all bad given that they had to verify certificates from Ireland, the UK and Australia.

So good to be European again - thank you Ireland!

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:51 am

JoannaKJ wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:18 am

Address confirmation (with typos and no promises - see earlier post): 14 October 2022
Congratulations: 26 October 2022

My congratulations email says my certificate is already posted, so I definitely think my team does the address check at the very beginning of the process and the congratulations at the very end. Twelve days is not at all bad given that they had to verify certificates from Ireland, the UK and Australia.
We must have had the same team and/or person. I had the same address check email, word for word.
But they went from address check to congrats in 6 days, four business days! At that speed, I won't slag them for any typos. :D

And my congrats email also said my cert was posted.
Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful.

A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope.
Now I'm reviewing what documents I'll need to gather for my passport.

SLJ
Newly Registered

Post by SLJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:42 am

JJFF wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:00 pm
neemah_ wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm
Hi everyone!

I am a proper lurker on this forum - I have never posted before but I have been checking up here since about July 2021 when I stumbled up on it in yet another frantic google search to see if I could find out anything about FBR processing times!

Today I received a phone call form the DFA to confirm the address on my application!! Extremely exciting news. I thought I'd post my timeline as I've found that so helpful when other people have done that, just to get that comfort that I'm not the only one waiting, and that things do seem to be moving:

Application submitted online: 10/11/2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 02/12/2019
Confirmation of address phone call: 29/11/2021
Date added to FBR: TBC
Congrats email: TBC
FBR certificate received: TBC

I'm not sure how pertinent it is to know but I sent off my application alongside my two sisters, with one set of original documents to cover all of us. It's been a long 24 months with no news but checking up here periodically has been so useful for me that I thought I'd share the timeline in case it helps other people get some reassurance as well. The lady I spoke to on the phone said she was ready to approve the applications but wanted to check the addresses first for document return. Hopefully I'll have an update before the end of the year to fill in when I was actually added to the FBR and when I got my certificate through.

For now I'm just going to celebrate the little victory with my family! And I'm sure my Mam will be thrilled to know her documents are on the way back to her!

Hi,

Glad you’ve received some good news.

Would you mind telling me what number they contacted you on? I had a missed call last week from an Irish number but there was no message left and goes dead when I call back. I presume it’s a spam number but would be useful to confirm the number they called you on.

Thank you.
Hello,

Congratulations on your good news!

I’m new to the message board and if you don’t mind could I ask how the sister application works? I and my two sisters are applying for citizenship and wanted to know if we apply as separate people but use the same documents with each of our application numbers on the covering letter? Or is there an application set up specifically for siblings?

Many thanks
Stephanie

SLJ
Newly Registered

Post by SLJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:07 am

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the message board and if you don’t mind could I ask how the sister application works? I and my two sisters are applying for citizenship and wanted to know if we apply as separate people but use the same documents with each of our application numbers on the covering letter? Or is there an application set up specifically for siblings?

Many thanks
Stephanie

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:26 am

SLJ wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:07 am
Hello everyone,

Many thanks
Stephanie
From the FAQ section on the DFA website (https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... scent-faqs)

Can my sibling and I apply for Foreign Birth Registration jointly?

Yes, you can use the same set of papers and supporting documents for both applications. Just enclose the two separate application forms in one envelope and send it to us with a letter saying that some of the documents apply to both applications. This only applies if you are resident in the same country when applying.

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:53 am

UPDATE!

Application: 2 Oct 2020
Documents received: 8 Oct 2020
Address confirmation: 27 October 2022
Congratulations:

Notanotherusername
Newly Registered

Post by Notanotherusername » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:04 pm

SLJ wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:07 am
Hello everyone,

Many thanks
Stephanie
The actual applications are separate but you can send them together with the documents to cover both applications.

What I did was use plastic wallets with a cover note on each one, with name, dob, application number, and the documents in each one.

Sibling 1-
Birth cert
Passports
Application
Photos
Address proof

Same for sibling 2.

Irish citizen parent

Irish born grandparent.

Then got a tie to join them together and in an A4 envelope. It was the best way I could think to make everything as clear as possible as to who was who.

ellen35743
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ellen35743 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:57 pm

Received my address check via email today! So very exciting!!
Thank you to this group for making the wait more bearable.

Application date: 28 Sep 2020
Documents received: 9 Oct 2020
Address check: 27 Oct 2022
Congrats email:
FBR cert received:

plasticpaddy20
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by plasticpaddy20 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:04 pm

UPDATE!!! :D

My timeline:
Online Application: June 30,2020
Application Received (supporting docs, though email doesn't say that): October 9, 2020
Confirmation of Address: October 28, 2022
Documents Received: n/a

plasticpaddy20 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:53 pm
Hi everyone :)
LONG time lurker, first time poster. This board has helped keep me sane over the last 2 years. I plan to move overseas when I get my passport, so the wait has been tough.

My timeline:
Online Application: June 30,2020
Application Received (supporting docs, though email doesn't say that): October 9, 2020
Confirmation of Address: n/a
Documents Received: n/a

Hoping the 2020 apps start moving quicker, and good luck to everyone 🇮🇪

JT97

Post by JT97 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:07 pm

As business hours have well and truly finished, it’s another week for me with no word on my application. Whilst I’m extremely happy to see that more and more people are starting to see movement on theirs, I can’t help but start getting a bit impatient to receive my address check email, especially as we’re starting to get into mid October 2020 applications. My own documents were received on 16th September 2020. I know it’s just a matter of sitting tight and waiting for them to do their thing but I just wish there was some way of tracking where they’re at in our applications as it would give some sort of peace of mind knowing it was X number of applications from being looked at.

MGY1867
Newly Registered

Post by MGY1867 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:27 pm

I received FBR at the end of July after applying in March 2020 - just wanted to add that totally unexpectedly I was offered a job in Ireland and I am moving over this weekend.

There is something about receiving FBR that really changes something inside of you - so for those of you applying, don't take it lightly, it becomes part of you and changes something inside you - for all the right reasons.

I guess the whole idea behind FBR was to encourage descendants to return to Ireland, so I’m excited to be a result of this.

Enjoy all and good luck

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:51 am

JT97 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:07 pm
As business hours have well and truly finished, it’s another week for me with no word on my application. Whilst I’m extremely happy to see that more and more people are starting to see movement on theirs, I can’t help but start getting a bit impatient to receive my address check email, especially as we’re starting to get into mid October 2020 applications. My own documents were received on 16th September 2020. I know it’s just a matter of sitting tight and waiting for them to do their thing but I just wish there was some way of tracking where they’re at in our applications as it would give some sort of peace of mind knowing it was X number of applications from being looked at.
I'd say try and not get too discouraged. Seems like they're working on Sept/October 2020 so I'm sure you'll hear soon. Different teams work at different paces. People take vacations etc. The last few weeks are the toughest. Hang in there.

MaybeHopeSo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by MaybeHopeSo » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:20 pm

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have received an email asking to check the address for both my boys (applications sent together). I'm very happy for them. Fingers crossed, they will receive their Congratulations email soon and the certificate so I can apply for their passports. Thanks again. This forum has helped keep me patient :).

Application date: 22 Sep 2020
Documents received: 30 Sept 2020
Address check: 27 Oct 2022
Congrats email:
FBR cert received:

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:58 pm

JT97 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:07 pm
As business hours have well and truly finished, it’s another week for me with no word on my application. Whilst I’m extremely happy to see that more and more people are starting to see movement on theirs, I can’t help but start getting a bit impatient to receive my address check email, especially as we’re starting to get into mid October 2020 applications. My own documents were received on 16th September 2020.
[snip]
Caution: wild speculation ahead.

I have a hypothesis that some applications get the address check at the beginning of the process, and others get it at the end.

If you get your address check at the beginning, you get your "congrats email" 1-2 weeks later, after all the verification work is done.
If you get the address check at the end, all the verification has been done and you get your "congrats" email right after completing the address check.

According to the almighty spreadsheet, your "docs received" date is 15 days after mine. My bold prediction is you should get your address check and congrats email on or about 10 Nov.

R0b0tQ
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by R0b0tQ » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:24 pm

R0b0tQ wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:14 pm
So an update as now had congrats email!

Applied online: 24th Aug. 2020
Docs sent: 24th Aug 2020
Docs rec’d: never had a confirmation
Address confirmation: 19th October 2022
Congrats email: 25th October 2022

Can’t wait to get started on the passport process :lol:
Update!!

Applied online: 24th Aug. 2020
Docs sent: 24th Aug 2020
Docs rec’d: never had a confirmation
Address confirmation: 19th October 2022
Congrats email: 25th October 2022
Certificate received: 31st October 2022

Comes with a lovely covering letter offering some other services that may be of interest. Now pass the docs over to my sister so she can start her application!!

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:40 pm

Online Application: 21 Aug 2020
Docs Received: 01 Sep 2020
Address Check: 20 Oct 2022
Congrats email: 26 Oct 2022
Cert Received: 31 Oct 2022

Happy Samhain to me!

2 years, 2 months, 11 days from application to get my FBR cert. Not too bad considering those were some unusual two years.

Roonil Wazlib
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Roonil Wazlib » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:11 am

MGY1867 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:27 pm
I received FBR at the end of July after applying in March 2020 - just wanted to add that totally unexpectedly I was offered a job in Ireland and I am moving over this weekend.
This is super cool, congratulations! I hope the move went well!

Bun_123
Newly Registered

Post by Bun_123 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:53 am

And I’m done!

I will be forever grateful to this forum for keeping me sane…wish all those waiting speedy success!

Online Application: 27 June 2020
Docs Received: 21 July 2020
Address Check: 18 Oct 2022
Congrats email: 24 Oct 2022
Cert Received: 1 Nov 2022

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered

Post by kerrilarkin » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:01 pm

im still awaiting my congrats email, since i confirmed on the 18/10/22

hard to get hold of fbr via phone. i got told to contact a cathal mcgirl who i think process applications. but no email or number was given. this was by the said guy who was doing my application.

i put in for my irish citizenship 26/04/2020

my timeline - application online 26/04/2020
hard copies 06/10/22
docs received 18/10/22
address confirmation via email 18/10/22
congrats email tbc
certificate - tbc

holding out hope and just waiting now. hope its not too long now

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:21 am

Hi everyone

We applied for FBR for our daughter on 09 September 2020 and the postal application was confirmed as received by FBR on 15 October 2020. Today i received an email from the section:

I am currently reviewing [child's] application for entry into the Foreign Births Register, Unfortunately I cannot proceed with your application without the following documents:

Please submit 2 updated photos for [child], as it is over 18 months since your application was submitted.

I emailed back with a digital image and a proof of address. Would an electronic photo is what is required or would I need to post a physical photo? No postal address was provided to substantiate the latter. Also, I do not see other members receiving this request.

Thank you for your suggestions

PS Excited! they move really fast now

WJRob1
Newly Registered

Post by WJRob1 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:15 pm

Long-time watcher of this forum. Update on the progress of my FBR application:

25th August 2020 - email confirmation that application has been received.
19th October 2022 - email requesting confirmation of home address.
2nd November 2022 - congratulatory email saying FBR application has been successful. :D :D :D

Now awaiting delivery of FBR certificate, and return of original documents. Passport application next task to be undertaken.

I have one query on this though. The 'Congratulations' email provides a link to the Passport Online page which is the fastest way to apply if you live in the UK. Is it a reasonable assumption that, given that the Immigration Department have had my documents (birth certificates, proof of address etc. etc.) to process my now-successful FBR application, that I won't need to resend all of that documentation back to them for my passport application?

I expect to have to upload a more recent photograph, but will they want all the certificates and utility bills again? I know I have to wait for my FBR certificate to arrive but I want to be as ready as I can for when it does. Sorry if this is a dim question, however, any advice would be gratefully received...

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:18 pm

WJRob1 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:15 pm

I have one query on this though. The 'Congratulations' email provides a link to the Passport Online page which is the fastest way to apply if you live in the UK. Is it a reasonable assumption that, given that the Immigration Department have had my documents (birth certificates, proof of address etc. etc.) to process my now-successful FBR application, that I won't need to resend all of that documentation back to them for my passport application?

I expect to have to upload a more recent photograph, but will they want all the certificates and utility bills again? I know I have to wait for my FBR certificate to arrive but I want to be as ready as I can for when it does. Sorry if this is a dim question, however, any advice would be gratefully received...
Yeah, that'd be nice, but no, there's no shortcut. You have to send it back.

Ideally, wouldn't it be nice if you could pay for the passport up front with the FBR application fee and get them both done at the same time?
Simon Coveney, if you're reading this, here's another way to streamline the process. It's better for us and better for you.

spencer0523
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer0523 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:22 pm

it is done.
i am irish..
i..........am so relieved.

Online application filed: 19 Feb 2020
Documents received in Dublin: July 2020 (date unspecified)
Address confirmation email: 11 Oct 2022
Congratulations email: 02 Nov 2022.

Passport time!

(on that, i havent found a list of documents needed, any pointers?)

spencer0523 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:55 am
**UPDATE**

Finally!!!!!!! and way faster than I assumed given my documents accepted date. Details below:

Online application filed: 19 Feb 2020
Documents received in Dublin: July 2020 (date unspecified)
Address confirmation email: 11 Oct 2022

Its almost over......

Thanks for this forum, it kept me sane. Will update as I keep receiving emails.

Spencer :mrgreen: