ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Likely citizenship denial due to UK Tax Clearance Certificate

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

roamingbee
Newly Registered
United States of America

Likely citizenship denial due to UK Tax Clearance Certificate

Post by roamingbee » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:13 am

So I am American, and I've been living in Northern Ireland for 4 years with my Irish citizen spouse. I have a clean immigration record, and no tax owed. Citizenship keep denying my HMRC Tax Certificate stating it is not descriptive enough. I have been back and forth several times with HMRC and the Irish immigration office.

The Irish citizenship office requires the Tax Clearance document from HMRC to state 'No outstanding Tax Returns or Liabilities against me’

However, after several calls to HMRC, they said they could not put that wording in a document due to legal reasons. The closest letter HMRC was allowed to write was 'All years taxes are paid fully up to date'.

I have also sent them an Irish Tax Clearance Certificate(which you can do as a foreigner). I know another user, lilberto, e-mailed the citizenship office earlier this year and the office stated that a P60 is acceptable from people who live in Northern Ireland. However, I have no direct evidence of this to use myself, and the officer dealing with my case never mentioned that this was an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to move forward? I feel like I'm facing a likely rejection and there is nothing I can do.

JohnX
Ireland

Re: Likely citizenship denial due to UK Tax Clearance Certificate

Post by JohnX » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:47 am

Hi,

Perhaps they want a tax clearance cert covering periods prior to your four years in NI. ?

One from the USA perhaps ??

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:19 pm

You can maybe start with your local citizensadvice I'd say, as they might have successful citizrnship cases, for example.
Also, contact an TD? If you can't sort interdepartmental cooperation yourself, it might have to be escalated.

Youre not the only one with this issue, see post2094602.html#p2094602 for example.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

roamingbee
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by roamingbee » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:18 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:19 pm
You can maybe start with your local citizensadvice I'd say, as they might have successful citizrnship cases, for example.
Also, contact an TD? If you can't sort interdepartmental cooperation yourself, it might have to be escalated.

Youre not the only one with this issue, see post2094602.html#p2094602 for example.
Unfortunately my local citizens advice can't help me, they only offer help with British immigration issues.

I'm not sure which TD I could contact, since none of them would be assigned to my constituency. But I could give it a go and try to find one that would be most sympathetic to my situation.

TitaManok
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by TitaManok » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:13 pm

roamingbee wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:18 pm
meself2 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:19 pm

Unfortunately my local citizens advice can't help me, they only offer help with British immigration issues.

I'm not sure which TD I could contact, since none of them would be assigned to my constituency. But I could give it a go and try to find one that would be most sympathetic to my situation.
Contact someone in Sinn Fein as they operate across NI and Rep.