ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA NI resident naturalization eligibility?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iibdii
Palestine

Non EEA NI resident naturalization eligibility?

Post by iibdii » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:26 am

Thank for reading my post,
I have been continues resident of NI since 2013 so 9 years legally (5 years UK eeu family member stamp and 4 years on ILR)
Am I eligible for Irish citizenship by any chance everywhere I read it says marriage or civil partnership but I'm not legally married but in durable relationship with Irish national and have an Irish national child too.
If not eligible for citizenship is there any permit I can get to travel through Ireland for the very least? Not looking short stays visa but more like 5 year multiple entry kinda thing.
Please point me in direction.
Many thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Non EEA NI resident naturalization eligibility?

Post by meself2 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:04 am

Nope, none of those come to mind. Nothing changed since your last post.

The system is made to facilitate free entry of Irish/British nationals between both countries. Since you're neither of them, you'll have to go the complicated route as all nonEU citizens do, I'm afraid; UK ILR doesn't give you any advantages on the other side of the border. Same goes the other way, so I can't go to the UK with IRP..oh well.

The only thing I can think of is joining your Irish child, but for that the child has to live in Ireland, which would be a whole different situation. Same goes for your durable partnership.
There is also frontier worker permit, but that was made to make sure EU cross border workers can love and work where they want; nonEU folks have to get right of residence in their own right to be aware of that, plus you'd have to work in one country and live in other.

Not sure why you're not going for British citizenship, though. That gives you ample options to travel through both countries and stay in Europe as a tourist, even despite Brexit.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Finepaddy
Mood:
Norway

Post by Finepaddy » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:39 pm

iibdii wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:26 am
Thank for reading my post,
I have been continues resident of NI since 2013 so 9 years legally (5 years UK eeu family member stamp and 4 years on ILR)
Am I eligible for Irish citizenship by any chance everywhere I read it says marriage or civil partnership but I'm not legally married but in durable relationship with Irish national and have an Irish national child too.
If not eligible for citizenship is there any permit I can get to travel through Ireland for the very least? Not looking short stays visa but more like 5 year multiple entry kinda thing.
Please point me in direction.
Many thanks
I think only spouse of Irish Citizen can apply Irish citizenship if he/she legally lives in Northern Ireland for 3 years with UK Spouse visa.
Finepaddy becomes badpaddy :mrgreen:

O'Ramires
Mood:
Brazil

Post by O'Ramires » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:04 am

I'm guessing you are on a De Facto Relationship with your partner. Is your partner an Irish citizen? What kind of visa do you have?

Anyone who are married to an Irish citizen and residing in Northern Ireland can also apply to become an Irish citizen. However I couldn't find any info on the de facto visa. If the same rules apply, you'd need to be married/reside in Northern Ireland for 3 years before applying for your citizenship.