ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA visitor visa for Home Office (UK) Travel Document holders

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

OneTrickPony

USA visitor visa for Home Office (UK) Travel Document holders

Post by OneTrickPony » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:46 am

Hi anyone here had any success getting US tourist visa while having Home Office Travel document? Planning to apply from the UK as having IRL status here as a refugee and therefore using HO Travel Docs. Would be good to hear how it went for you, those who tried it.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: USA visitor visa for Home Office (UK) Travel Document holders

Post by Ticktack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:19 am

OneTrickPony wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:46 am
Hi anyone here had any success getting US tourist visa while having Home Office Travel document? Planning to apply from the UK as having IRL status here as a refugee and therefore using HO Travel Docs. Would be good to hear how it went for you, those who tried it.
Not sure you'd find too many people in that category. FYI, your ILR status doesn't mean a thing. You would be treated as a citizen of your country.

Few questions;

1. When is your interview scheduled for?
2. Have you ever applied for a US visa before?
3. If 2 is yes, were you granted or refused.
4. Are you currently employed here in the UK.
5. Reason for wanting to go to the US?
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

OneTrickPony

Post by OneTrickPony » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:43 pm

1. They have lots of dates available but starting from three months of this date (they seem to be busy as hell)
2. No never applied
4. Yes employed
5. To visit New York, broadway and stuff

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:52 am

OneTrickPony wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:43 pm
1. They have lots of dates available but starting from three months of this date (they seem to be busy as hell)
2. No never applied
4. Yes employed
5. To visit New York, broadway and stuff
You're lucky you're applying from here in the UK some countries have a waiting period of 2 years and more, and I kid you not. It's kinda like USA is off limits.
Few pointers, USA visa interviews are like no other.

The buck stops with the consular officer that interviews you. He might ask 2,3 of even 6-7 questions. It happens really fast.

Your refugee status would be brought into questioning, so you need to get your ducks lined up. You would be asked brief questions, if you sure the question probably doesn't reflect well on you, don't answer with monosyllables. Explain.
Go with all documents that show you're living good like bank statements, employment letters, utility bill.
You might never be asked to show any document, however, if a question asked pertains to any document you already have with you, bring it out and present it while giving explanations at the same time.

There's always an unconscious bias, so it's your job to make the interviewer like you.

OneTrickPony

Post by OneTrickPony » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:44 pm

Update from me. As you already now I've been trying to apply for the visa as a Home Ofice Travel Documents holder. A week ago I have completed the online form on US embassy website but I have not paid the visa fees yet because the dates for the interview that I was offered are so far ahead (Jan-Feb) and I was hoping to be able to travel to the USA sooner in December. So now my plans are kind of ruined. I know I cannot travel to the USA in February or later because I will be busy. Another thing is I have applied to be a British citizen so by the time I will finally get my appointment I might already have a British Passport and I will be able to apply for a visa waiver then. And generally my curcumstances that I have listed in the application will have changed (such as for example my main document used for application will no longer be TD but British Passport). So I'm thinking there is no point paying quite an expensive $160 + visa fee because with visa waiver you only need to pay $20 or something. What should I do now? What will happen to my already filled and submitted online application if I leave the visa fees unpaid now? What if I pay now and have time to travel only when I already have received my British passport but my visa would have been stamped on my TD? Am I legally allowed to travel using TD when I already have British Passport in posession? Also in case I get the passport the Home OFfice will probably ask me to return my TD.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:34 am

OneTrickPony wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:44 pm
Update from me. As you already now I've been trying to apply for the visa as a Home Ofice Travel Documents holder. A week ago I have completed the online form on US embassy website but I have not paid the visa fees yet because the dates for the interview that I was offered are so far ahead (Jan-Feb) and I was hoping to be able to travel to the USA sooner in December. So now my plans are kind of ruined. I know I cannot travel to the USA in February or later because I will be busy. Another thing is I have applied to be a British citizen so by the time I will finally get my appointment I might already have a British Passport and I will be able to apply for a visa waiver then. And generally my curcumstances that I have listed in the application will have changed (such as for example my main document used for application will no longer be TD but British Passport). So I'm thinking there is no point paying quite an expensive $160 + visa fee because with visa waiver you only need to pay $20 $14 or something. What should I do now? What will happen to my already filled and submitted online application if I leave the visa fees unpaid now? What if I pay now and have time to travel only when I already have received my British passport but my visa would have been stamped on my TD? Am I legally allowed to travel using TD when I already have British Passport in posession? Also in case I get the passport the Home OFfice will probably ask me to return my TD.
If you haven't paid online, then your form filled don't mean anything. Even if you've paid online, you just don't turn up for the interview. A "no show" isn't a visa rejection. My advise, better to wait till your British and have a BP.
Any rejection now "could" have an effect on future applications even when British, as you don't get the automatic approval by the system. Someone needs to look at the flag and make a decision.