ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Looking for advice / 1G expiring soon while waiting for De Facto decision

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

harte11
Newly Registered
Ireland

Looking for advice / 1G expiring soon while waiting for De Facto decision

Post by harte11 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction as the information I have received from INIS has been contradictory.

I am currently living in Ireland and working under 1G (graduate). I have applied for De Facto back in May this year. We were hoping to hear back from them by now but a decision has not been made yet. My current permission is expiring less than a month from now. De Facto office suggested I make a request for temporary stamp 3 until the decision on my application has been made. I am currently in employment, however, I do not hold a work permit, as I did not require it under 1G and I was optimistic that I would move to stamp 4 once De Facto is approved. I realised a little too late that I should have applied for a work permit sooner. Under stamp 3 I would not be allowed to work and it would take 3-4 months to get the work permit approved and for obvious reasons I could not go on without working for that long.

So here's my question. Would it be possible to request an extension to my 1G instead of applying for 3 on the grounds that I am making an application for a work permit? Or am I missing something else and there is another solution to this? I want to make sure that I am not breaking immigration and employment laws.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Looking for advice / 1G expiring soon while waiting for De Facto decision

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:24 pm

Stamp 1G is granted for 12 months only, except for those who have completed a master’s degree programme, when a further 12 months can be provided subject to conditions.
In theory, if you've done Master's or above - possible, but in practice they might not be very satisfied as you have 12 months to sort out your work permit.
Also, is your de facto partner Irish? Because otherwise it's a different stamp.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

harte11
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by harte11 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:36 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:24 pm
Stamp 1G is granted for 12 months only, except for those who have completed a master’s degree programme, when a further 12 months can be provided subject to conditions.
In theory, if you've done Master's or above - possible, but in practice they might not be very satisfied as you have 12 months to sort out your work permit.
Also, is your de facto partner Irish? Because otherwise it's a different stamp.
Yes, my partner is Irish. I received full 24 months after completing a level 9 course. While I found a job almost immediately, my first job fell under one of the ineligible categories. Only recently that I had been promoted to a new role which fits the necessary criteria. I'm hoping at least this would be in my favour.

Are minor gaps in registration acceptable?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:32 pm

harte11 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:36 pm
I received full 24 months after completing a level 9 course.
If you've done your 24 months, then, well, that's, most likely, the end of the road for graduate. The idea of a stamp was specifically to facilitate you with enough time to find an eligible job and apply for work permit (hence no need for it).
harte11 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:36 pm
Are minor gaps in registration acceptable?
Acceptable for what?
That's a bit tricky, since you theoretically have a pending De Facto application, but, quoting ISD itself (https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... -national/):
Can I enter employment on the strength of my application while my application is in process?
No. If you do not have a separate permission that entitles you to work in Ireland, then you have no entitlement to enter employment during the application process.
And since they already said they'll give you a Stamp 3, ISD mightn't view the gap favorably, as had an option to get permission to stay here. Also, I haven't heard anything about being allowed to stay while you have a pending immigration application, but possibly other more knowledgeable folks can provide insight.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:53 pm

De Facto applications are *only* considered on the basis that you are in the country with a legal status.

You can and should apply for your employment permit immediately. While your application is in progress, you are considered to have a legal status even if your current IRP expires. Whether or not the employer wishes to continue employing you is a matter for them. You should argue to them that you have the legal status covered but the company does not have to always consider that.

handoubleu
United States of America

Post by handoubleu » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:00 pm

harte11 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:19 pm
Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction as the information I have received from INIS has been contradictory.

I am currently living in Ireland and working under 1G (graduate). I have applied for De Facto back in May this year. We were hoping to hear back from them by now but a decision has not been made yet. My current permission is expiring less than a month from now. De Facto office suggested I make a request for temporary stamp 3 until the decision on my application has been made. I am currently in employment, however, I do not hold a work permit, as I did not require it under 1G and I was optimistic that I would move to stamp 4 once De Facto is approved. I realised a little too late that I should have applied for a work permit sooner. Under stamp 3 I would not be allowed to work and it would take 3-4 months to get the work permit approved and for obvious reasons I could not go on without working for that long.

So here's my question. Would it be possible to request an extension to my 1G instead of applying for 3 on the grounds that I am making an application for a work permit? Or am I missing something else and there is another solution to this? I want to make sure that I am not breaking immigration and employment laws.
Just curious for any update on this i.e. 1) did you go with the the Stamp 3 or were you able to be granted a different temporary stamp? 2) how long your de facto processing time turned out to be?