ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can EU dependent live separately?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Davidk12
Newly Registered

Can EU dependent live separately?

Post by Davidk12 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:41 pm

Hi,
My father-in-law and mother-in-law came to the UK a week ago through a EUSS family permit. I declared that they were dependent on me. But I am wondering whether they can now live in a separate house or in a different city. The father-in-law wants to do a job but there are no jobs around and he wants to move to a different city where there be more opportunities.
Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Can EU dependent live separately?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 pm

Have they applied/received pre-settled status - just following up from your earlier post in October.
I'm not aware of residential address requirements - however, I'll leave that for others to confirm.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Davidk12
Newly Registered

Post by Davidk12 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:03 am

Hi.

They received the entry clearance 6-month visa. We will now plan for the extension.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:18 am

Davidk12 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:03 am
Hi.

They received the entry clearance 6-month visa. We will now plan for the extension.
That should be the priority especially for getting jobs.
Note pre-settled status is not an extension of the family permit.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Davidk12
Newly Registered

Post by Davidk12 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:50 pm

hi, sorry, I did not get it what do you mean by that "pre-settled status is not an extension of the family permit."

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:20 pm

Davidk12 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:50 pm
hi, sorry, I did not get it what do you mean by that "pre-settled status is not an extension of the family permit."
family permit is just to travel to the UK; you need to apply for pre settled for them to get a proper legal status, which is a bit of a different cup of tea
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:27 pm

Davidk12 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:50 pm
It's terminology.

Family permits cannot be extended in the same way a Tier visa can be extended (as in extending the validity of the same type of document). Family permits are a one-off.

Pre settled status is indeed a category people can switch to after family permit, but it's a different type of document, therefore it's not technically an extension, and it is incorrect to call it that way or think about it as an extension of family permits. That's all.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Davidk12
Newly Registered

Post by Davidk12 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:02 am

Thank you all. But can anyone help me to understand whether the family dependents members can live separately before/after the family permit switch?

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:28 am

I believe so - although that information (i.e. the right to be self-sufficient) was in pre-Brexit context. The jist of that argument was that dependency had to be at a specific moment in time - most often at the time of the application/appeal - and that following successful entry into the UK, dependent family members could work and eventually become more self-sufficient. But this was pre-Brexit and this may have changed