ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:23 pm

schmood wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:48 pm
(using different names)

Hey all -

Wondering if anyone might be able to help with this (issue explained below) I spoke with General Register Office who informed me that 'legal adoption was not introduced in Ireland until 1952 and adoption records only start in January 1953'. So there is no adoption record for my Irish born grandmother (even though the adoptive mother is listed as 'informant' on birth certificate and the recorded location is a Parish priest's office).

My grandmother (born in the 1920s) used different names across her whole life. Let's say her birth certificate names her as 'Siobhan Fiona Kerry' — on my Dad's birth certificate her name is 'Fiona Tara Biden' (pre marriage)), however a 'Mary Biden' is listed as 'informant' on 'Siobhan's') birth certificate (no Father is listed). Sorry I know that's confusing!

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to other documents that might help create the link between 'Siobhan' (my paternal grandmother) 'Fiona' (the same person/also my paternal grandmother — the person on my father's birth certificate) and my Father? As this kind of arrangement was considered quite 'shameful' back in the day, I think that's why there's so little information on it. I think she is called 'Siobhan Fiona Kerry' on my Father's siblings birth certificates...

Thanks so much for your help
schmood wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:14 am
Help! Adoption issues

Hey all!

Longtime lurker. Just heard back from FBR. Unfortunately it's not good news.

Submitted my application — 19th October 2020
Docs received — 12th December 2020

I applied on the basis of both paternal grandparents who were born in Ireland. Unfortunately both have documentary issues.

My Irish grandma was adopted at birth. My father did not know this until later in life because it was a family secret. If I understand correctly, my grandmother's birth mother had her very young and out of wedlock so they gave the child to the family servants (?). It is then understood that my grandmother's birth mother was sent to the United States, but we know little else. My grandmother's birth certificate gives her a different last name entirely to her last name listed on my Father's birth certificate and, if I remember correctly, her marriage certificate. My grandma's adoptive mother is listed as witness on the birth certificate (same last name as the marriage certificate and my Father's birth certificate, which I had hoped would be enough to link her to my Father). My father has 7 siblings and I have a recollection that one of them might have my Grandma's OG last name on them, but not sure, and don't know if that would even help (?)

My paternal grandfather was also born in Ireland, but he was the youngest of 13 children in a very rural area so I do not think the birth was registered (at least we could not find it anywhere :( )

FBR is asking for my grandmother’s court adoption order papers and her adoptive birth certificate so that they can link her to my father. I'm very doubtful these exist based on what I've been told, but I'd be grateful if anyone has ..

1) been in a similar position
2) knows how to find court adoption papers + adoptive birth certificate
3) knows how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance for your help! Would be so devastated if this won't work out.
Hi,

This sounds like quite a complicated situation. My best advice would be to take all the evidence you have to a lawyer who specializes in citizenship cases, and see what they can do for you. Perhaps they can create an affidavit explaining the situation and tying it all together that would be acceptable by the FBR.

You only need one grandparent, so maybe they could advise you of which grandparent would be the easiest to make a case for to the FBR. Either way, I think you need some expert or professional help here. Good luck!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:27 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:23 pm
schmood wrote:
(using different names)

Hey all -

Wondering if anyone might be able to help with this (issue explained below) I spoke with General Register Office who informed me that 'legal adoption was not introduced in Ireland until 1952 and adoption records only start in January 1953'. So there is no adoption record for my Irish born grandmother (even though the adoptive mother is listed as 'informant' on birth certificate and the recorded location is a Parish priest's office).

My grandmother (born in the 1920s) used different names across her whole life. Let's say her birth certificate names her as 'Siobhan Fiona Kerry' — on my Dad's birth certificate her name is 'Fiona Tara Biden' (pre marriage)), however a 'Mary Biden' is listed as 'informant' on 'Siobhan's') birth certificate (no Father is listed). Sorry I know that's confusing!

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to other documents that might help create the link between 'Siobhan' (my paternal grandmother) 'Fiona' (the same person/also my paternal grandmother — the person on my father's birth certificate) and my Father? As this kind of arrangement was considered quite 'shameful' back in the day, I think that's why there's so little information on it. I think she is called 'Siobhan Fiona Kerry' on my Father's siblings birth certificates...

schmood wrote:
Help! Adoption issues

Hey all!

I applied on the basis of both paternal grandparents who were born in Ireland. Unfortunately both have documentary issues.

My Irish grandma was adopted at birth. My father did not know this until later in life because it was a family secret. If I understand correctly, my grandmother's birth mother had her very young and out of wedlock so they gave the child to the family servants (?). It is then understood that my grandmother's birth mother was sent to the United States, but we know little else. My grandmother's birth certificate gives her a different last name entirely to her last name listed on my Father's birth certificate and, if I remember correctly, her marriage certificate. My grandma's adoptive mother is listed as witness on the birth certificate (same last name as the marriage certificate and my Father's birth certificate, which I had hoped would be enough to link her to my Father). My father has 7 siblings and I have a recollection that one of them might have my Grandma's OG last name on them, but not sure, and don't know if that would even help (?)

My paternal grandfather was also born in Ireland, but he was the youngest of 13 children in a very rural area so I do not think the birth was registered (at least we could not find it anywhere :( )

FBR is asking for my grandmother’s court adoption order papers and her adoptive birth certificate so that they can link her to my father. I'm very doubtful these exist based on what I've been told, but I'd be grateful if anyone has ..

Thank you in advance for your help! Would be so devastated if this won't work out.
Hi,

This sounds like quite a complicated situation. My best advice would be to take all the evidence you have to a lawyer who specializes in citizenship cases, and see what they can do for you. Perhaps they can create an affidavit explaining the situation and tying it all together that would be acceptable by the FBR.

You only need one grandparent, so maybe they could advise you of which grandparent would be the easiest to make a case for to the FBR. Either way, I think you need some expert or professional help here. Good luck!
One other suggestion. Have you looked at census records? Those are official government documents and might show the link between your father and his mother and maybe even his mother and your great grandmother.
I don't think the FBR would accept these alone, but with other evidence and part of an affidavit written by a lawyer, maybe?? Just a thought.

Here's just one firm in Ireland and Chicago that specializes in Citizenship it seems (just googled it).

Solicitor weblink removed by moderator

To be clear, I have no affiliation with that firm, nor have. I used them. I just googled, and it was one that came up. You can do the same and no doubt come up with others.

BillandSarah
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by BillandSarah » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:24 am

Hello All,
Quick update in case it may help. Thanks to everyone for all the great info here. Expect to get the documents and FBR certificate and original documents in the next 8-12 days and then it's on to the passport application.
Best,
Bill

Application mailed from USA: December 18, 2020

Application received at DFA: December 30, 2020 (As per postal tracking. No confirmation e-mail from the DFA received)

Address confirmation e-mail: November 21, 2022

Congratulations e-mail: December 05, 2022

onlyzuul
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by onlyzuul » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:43 am

I got an email on Nov 7th requesting a marriage certificate and not a marriage license. They also asked for proof of address. I was confused because I thought I had gotten the marriage certificate from the county clerk. However the way it is labeled at the top it does have the word license in it. I figured maybe my father-in-law messed up when he got the copies (because he still lives where we were married). I told my father-in-law the situation that they stated it was the license and I needed the certificate. He said he’d get it after all the election stuff. I waited and waited, and then on Nov 30th texted him to ask if he’d be able to get to the county clerk that week. No response by the next day so I got online, wishing I had done that to begin with, and ordered 2 copies. Only option for marriage documents was selecting “Certified Marriage Certificate” there was nothing stating license. After placing the order I texted my father-in-law so he wouldn’t have get them. Funny thing is he was at their office when I texted. They saw the request come through and allowed him to cancel it and pick it up instead as it is cheaper. I then got an email from them that he got them and they marked my request as not found so that it would not charge me for my online order. Fast forward to today. The documents show up (I ordered 2 to have an extra), but they are the exact same document I already sent with my application in 2020. At the bottom of the document is a spot that states the Judges name and that he certified he married us on the specific date then his signature. I emailed the person at FBR email I had and explained the situation. I showed screenshots of the online selection option, the receipts and the email from the clerks office all referring to a Certified Marriage Certificate. I also showed pictures showing the documents were the same. I even had a receipt from back in 2020 showing even then they referred to the document abbreviated MC for Marriage Certificate. I am at a loss for what I can do now. I’m just hoping they read my email tomorrow and that I have provided enough clarification and proof.

Has anyone else run into this with their marriage certificate provided by the county clerk not looking enough like a certificate because of the license labeling?

tl;dr
Marriage documents I have are listed at top as Marriage License even though it is the documents the County Clerk sends when requesting Certified Marriage Certificate. The bottom has judges name and states he certifies he married us on the specific date. The back of the document has all the information on our parents, ect. FBR thinks it is Marriage License and requested certificate, but when I went through process again, got the same exact documents. Anyone else run into this?

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:05 am

News about passport staff and backlog. I know this is the FBR thread, but the passport thread says to only post timelines and since most here will be applying for a passport eventually-https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irela ... s-passport

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Themag62 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:05 am
News about passport staff and backlog. I know this is the FBR thread, but the passport thread says to only post timelines and since most here will be applying for a passport eventually-https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irela ... s-passport
Hmm, I wonder if that article is mixing up FBRs with passport applications? A backlog of 30k FBRs makes sense. 30k passports does not. Or if there is such a backlog of passport applications, they are keeping up with it.

Compared to FBR, the passport process is fantastic.
The expected turnaround time for our passports is 20 business days (from when your documents arrive to when they mail your passport). We've waited ~2 years for FBR. Another month for a passport is peanuts. My passport seems to be on track.

The process is much more transparent than the FBR. There's a website and you can enter your application number and see where it is in the process.
https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/PassportTracking/

Similar to FBR, you need a witness to sign your passport application. You should know that they will call your witness.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:26 pm

I found a problem with the data and I don't know if I can fix it.
It looks to me like the data were sorted without the "notes" column. Now the notes no longer go with the correct user.
Notes have been restored.
Notes that changed after Oct 26 on the old sheet are still gone.
It's possible that if you updated your note on the new sheet in the last few days it could have been overwritten by old data.

spencer0523
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer0523 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Can someone please link the forum for irish passport applications? I need to ask questions to passport office in Ireland but I dont know what is the best approach. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:01 pm

spencer0523 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 pm
Can someone please link the forum for irish passport applications? I need to ask questions to passport office in Ireland but I dont know what is the best approach. Thank you.
ireland/passport-application-discussion ... l#p2097271
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 pm

So a slight update on my joint application with my brother. He has been approved and I’m yet to hear anything about mine. I’m miffed as to how this is possible seeing as they would surely have been processing both application concurrently. He didn’t tell me what date he got the approval on so I’m not sure how long the wait between his and mine currently is but for reference:

Applied online: 2nd September 2020
Email acknowledging receipt of docs: 16th September 2020
Address check: 4th November 2022
Approval brother: Unknown date between 4th November and today 2022
Approval me: Still waiting

ETA:

Both of us have the same complexity of application i.e. we’ve both never been married and have no children and no name changes so it can’t be a difference in complexity between our applications that’s holding mine up.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm

JT97 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 pm
So a slight update on my joint application with my brother. He has been approved and I’m yet to hear anything about mine. I’m miffed as to how this is possible seeing as they would surely have been processing both application concurrently. He didn’t tell me what date he got the approval on so I’m not sure how long the wait between his and mine currently is but for reference:

ETA:

Both of us have the same complexity of application i.e. we’ve both never been married and have no children and no name changes so it can’t be a difference in complexity between our applications that’s holding mine up.
So, my brother received an email from the person handling our case saying his application had been approved on 29th November. This email also said that there had been some system errors regarding emails responding to confirmation of address not being delivered to the fbr team

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 pm

I'm skimming through the fist few pages of this thread and it's remarkable how different things were back in 2018-2019.

Applications were sent to your local consulate or embassy where there was (perhaps) some kind of initial review, then sent on to Dublin for further review.

Also funny to see people getting fuming mad about having to wait 12 months for their FBR.

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:54 pm

JT97 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm
JT97 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 pm

ETA:

So, my brother received an email from the person handling our case saying his application had been approved on 29th November. This email also said that there had been some system errors regarding emails responding to confirmation of address not being delivered to the fbr team
We applied at around the same time so you might be interested in my latest update. After receiving an address check email and phone call on 21st October, all was quiet till I contacted the DFA today. The person processing my application wrote back saying it was approved on 24th October, had subsequently passed through another processing stage and is now queued for certificate printing. I was further told that they have limited printing capacity and their systems cannot indicate when the certificate might be issued but I should expect to receive a system email once it has been dispatched.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:42 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:54 pm
it was approved on 24th October, had subsequently passed through another processing stage and is now queued for certificate printing. I was further told that they have limited printing capacity and their systems cannot indicate when the certificate might be issued
That is odd.
Maybe they have increased capacity for processing FBRs so much that now the bottleneck is printing the certificate?

It is a fancy document with a color photograph, raised seal, and maybe a hologram IIRC?, so I'd imagine printing is a specialized operation.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Kinda gotten quiet in here over the last few weeks with regards to any new approvals so I can only assume that must mean there wasn't very many applications throughout 2021 due to the COVID shutdown. Imo a good sign.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:01 am

I consider complaining because the person who deals with our application is inept at best or simply throwing every spanner in the works. Recently, she asked for address confirmation again, having been provided one less than 3 weeks ago. Not a word on actually processing an application, which is a bit too much of a cognitive challenge. And this is a straightforward application! Grrr. Having waited 2 years i have to deal with that mediocracy on top of that

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:05 am

Valo wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 pm
Kinda gotten quiet in here over the last few weeks with regards to any new approvals so I can only assume that must mean there wasn't very many applications throughout 2021 due to the COVID shutdown. Imo a good sign.
It's been ceremony time, which would mean more people work on ceremony plus vastly increased number of passports, imo.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:37 am

They have been scaling up to handle the enormous workload.
That means hiring new employees.
New employees aren't going to be perfect, especially as they get up to speed.
Maybe cut them some slack.

schmood
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by schmood » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:00 am

Thank you so much! this makes a lot of sense... I will do some digging!
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:27 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:23 pm
schmood wrote:
(using different names)

Hey all -

schmood wrote:
Help! Adoption issues

Hey all!

Hi,

One other suggestion. Have you looked at census records? Those are official government documents and might show the link between your father and his mother and maybe even his mother and your great grandmother.
I don't think the FBR would accept these alone, but with other evidence and part of an affidavit written by a lawyer, maybe?? Just a thought.

Here's just one firm in Ireland and Chicago that specializes in Citizenship it seems (just googled it).

Solicitor weblink removed by moderator

To be clear, I have no affiliation with that firm, nor have. I used them. I just googled, and it was one that came up. You can do the same and no doubt come up with others.

rduncan22
Newly Registered

Post by rduncan22 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:20 am

HAPPY FRIDAY! ☘️

I’m elated, received the ‘congratulations’ email today. Thanks for the advice on this forum throughout the process - keeping us all company during the 2+ year wait. Now on to the passport application!

2 years and one day from the day I first applied online 😊

Application date: 8/12/20
Documents marked as received: 2/2/21
Address confirmation: 21/11/22
Congratulations email: 9/12/22

onlyzuul
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by onlyzuul » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:26 pm

Happy News to wake up to today!

Application date: 10 October 2020
Document received date: 15 October 2020
Address confirmation email: November 7, 2022, but had an issue with my Marriage Certificate that has been fixed.
Congratulations email: December 9, 2022
Certificate received: in queue for printing.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:19 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:42 pm
MikeyMike wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:54 pm
it was approved on 24th October, had subsequently passed through another processing stage and is now queued for certificate printing. I was further told that they have limited printing capacity and their systems cannot indicate when the certificate might be issued
That is odd.
Maybe they have increased capacity for processing FBRs so much that now the bottleneck is printing the certificate?

It is a fancy document with a color photograph, raised seal, and maybe a hologram IIRC?, so I'd imagine printing is a specialized operation.
That would make sense. If they're actually processing as many applications per month as has been said (5000 in October, etc), that's a lot of printing!

JT97

Post by JT97 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:56 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:05 am
It's been ceremony time, which would mean more people work on ceremony plus vastly increased number of passports, imo.
I don’t see any reason for that to have any effect on FBR processing seeing as naturalisation is dealt with by the Immigration Service/ Justice Minister. The DFA has nothing to do with it so should have no need to remove resources from their processes whilst the ceremonies are taking place.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:59 pm

JT97 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:56 pm
The DFA has nothing to do with it so should have no need to remove resources from their processes whilst the ceremonies are taking place.
Partly fair, but passport apps still fall under DFA.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:00 pm

input-output wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:01 am
I consider complaining because the person who deals with our application is inept at best or simply throwing every spanner in the works. Recently, she asked for address confirmation again, having been provided one less than 3 weeks ago. Not a word on actually processing an application, which is a bit too much of a cognitive challenge. And this is a straightforward application! Grrr. Having waited 2 years i have to deal with that mediocracy on top of that
They tried to get my brother to confirm his address twice. Turns out there was a system error that prevented dfa staff from receiving emails from applicants confirming their addresses. It didn’t affect everyone. For example, I replied on the same day as my brother (the day we received the email) and the person handling our case confirmed to me that he had an issue receiving my brother’s email but not mine. So it may just be that as far as the dfa is concerned you never replied to the original email. Would be worth just sending a reply back and the ball should get rolling again.