ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement spouse visa application - about to submit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ela27

Settlement spouse visa application - about to submit

Post by ela27 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone on here would look over the following and let me know their thoughts. And any extra advise.

This is what my husband will be submitting to the UK visa centre in Nairobi in about 1 weeks time.

Proof of finances
1. 6 months of my bank statements/savings account
2. 6 months of my wage slips
3. Contract and statement of particulars from my employer
4. My P60's for last financial year
5. Monthly budget

Proof of Accomodation
1. Parents Land Registry certificate
2. Recent Utilities bill in parents name
3. Council tax payments letter in parents name
4. Letter from council - confirming property is not overcrowded
5. Photos of house and rooms
6. Letter from parents saying it's ok to live with them

Proof of relationship/Marriage
1. Phone record (mobile and landline) since relationship began
2. Email record since relationship began
3. Photos of my husband and me together
4. Letters, engagment cards, birthday cards to each other
5. Marriage certificate
6. Wedding photos
7. Wedding cards
8. Receipts of wedding - hotel and reception
9. A few money transfers to my husband
10. Receipts of hotels, apartments etc that we've stayed in together, credit card bill of supermarket shops in kenya
11. Old boarding passes, and photocopy of stamps in passport to kenya

Proof I am a UK citizen
1. Certified copy of my passport
2. Birth certificate

My husbands job prospects in UK
1. His CV
2. Three recommendation letters from past jobs
3. Letter from a manager in his field of work stating that he has looked over his CV and refs and thinks he has good experience etc and would invite him to interview should he apply for a suitable position
4. Print outs of jobs in the area/print outs at the job centre
5. 5 months worth of my husbands wage slips from his last job (which ended in October)

And obviously the VAF4 form!

Also seeing someone from the IAS next week to get everything checked, and hopefully a letter too.

I think that is everything, I know its a lot, but this means the world to us, we have been apart for 4 months now and its very tough.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by ela27 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ela27

Post by ela27 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:17 pm

Also forgot to say my husband and I will both be including a letter, plus a letter from a friend who knows us both!

Also I have the required £95 extra a week, I have around £1500 in my bank and £2000 in savings. How does this sound? Sometimes I worry that I should have more saved but this last year I have been to Kenya 3 times and getting married...its been costly!!

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Sounds like you have covered everything, well done, just my advise ,which you have probably done anyway, is to make sure it is easy for the ECO to find the info or else they tend not to bother.
Your savings sound fine as well.
Good luck.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:13 pm

Nobody asking if they are both over 21?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:40 am

Are you both over 21 years of age?

ela27

Post by ela27 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

Yes we are 26 and 27.

We both have never been married before.

Been together nearly 2 years.

He has never been out of Kenya, so no bad immigration history.

Anything I haven't said is probably already fine (if you see what I mean).

But if there is anything standing out as alarming or something extra we could do let me know. Perhaps even some of this stuff we're submitting is irrelevant.

As for arranging the info - I will make this as clear as pos, but any tips as to how it can be organised? I was thinking just in the sections as above.

Thanks

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:14 pm

As an additional helping nudge to the ECO, type the list of all the documents you mentioned in the OP, colour code it with the relevant documents. The less time the ECO spends verifying, better for you :)

Good Luck
Skeptic

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:14 pm

The only problem supplying to much information to the ECO with an application, is that you are giving them more of an opportunity to see if they are any discrepencies with any of the docs.

Also the ECO doesnt always look at certain docs. The only prrof you will need is to show that you can support and accomadate your hubby with out recourse to state benefits.

The docs you have listed are more than enough. All you have to do is now keep your fingers crossed to hear the good news I hope

ela27

Post by ela27 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks,

I'm hoping when I see the lady at the IAS next week she may be able to advise me more on what I don't need to include.

Still, I think we have it covered. I will try to make the folder as straightforward as possible, I realise they may not look over the whole lot in detail, but as long as the most important things are obvious and clear.

I've spent a long time getting it together, and used this site to help me, so thanks a lot.

Keeping all my fingers crossed for a positive result.

ela27

Post by ela27 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:01 pm

I did also forget to say that most of the docs here will be originals. But phone records are printed from BT online, although I will have original mobile phone record. And obviously email record will be on line print off.

Any ideas on how many photos is good?

I was thinking maybe 6-8 wedding photos and 6 others of different visits.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:26 pm

ela27 wrote: I was thinking maybe 6-8 wedding photos and 6 others of different visits.
More than enough. I just included 2. Not that I am that shy. LOL :P
Skeptic

sally12345

Post by sally12345 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:08 pm

RiFF wrote:
ela27 wrote: I was thinking maybe 6-8 wedding photos and 6 others of different visits.
More than enough. I just included 2. Not that I am that shy. LOL :P

Hi there I submitted about 70 pics inc wedding docs... lol.. so I am not shy but my husbund was an overstayer so just wanted the application to be tight.. :lol:

3crown

Re: Settlement spouse visa application - about to submit

Post by 3crown » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Ela 27 - just one thing - you probably know - TWO photocopies of everything - depends on the Agency clerk but ours kept all originals and one photocopy of everything and gave us back the third photocopied set..The Best of Luck and Speed !! :lol:
ela27 wrote:Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone on here would look over the following and let me know their thoughts. And any extra advise.

This is what my husband will be submitting to the UK visa centre in Nairobi in about 1 weeks time.

Proof of finances
1. 6 months of my bank statements/savings account
2. 6 months of my wage slips
3. Contract and statement of particulars from my employer
4. My P60's for last financial year
5. Monthly budget

Proof of Accomodation
1. Parents Land Registry certificate
2. Recent Utilities bill in parents name
3. Council tax payments letter in parents name
4. Letter from council - confirming property is not overcrowded
5. Photos of house and rooms
6. Letter from parents saying it's ok to live with them

Proof of relationship/Marriage
1. Phone record (mobile and landline) since relationship began
2. Email record since relationship began
3. Photos of my husband and me together
4. Letters, engagment cards, birthday cards to each other
5. Marriage certificate
6. Wedding photos
7. Wedding cards
8. Receipts of wedding - hotel and reception
9. A few money transfers to my husband
10. Receipts of hotels, apartments etc that we've stayed in together, credit card bill of supermarket shops in kenya
11. Old boarding passes, and photocopy of stamps in passport to kenya

Proof I am a UK citizen
1. Certified copy of my passport
2. Birth certificate

My husbands job prospects in UK
1. His CV
2. Three recommendation letters from past jobs
3. Letter from a manager in his field of work stating that he has looked over his CV and refs and thinks he has good experience etc and would invite him to interview should he apply for a suitable position
4. Print outs of jobs in the area/print outs at the job centre
5. 5 months worth of my husbands wage slips from his last job (which ended in October)

And obviously the VAF4 form!

Also seeing someone from the IAS next week to get everything checked, and hopefully a letter too.

I think that is everything, I know its a lot, but this means the world to us, we have been apart for 4 months now and its very tough.

Thanks for reading!

ela27

Post by ela27 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks,

Yeah I spoke to another girl whose Kenyan husband joined her quite recently and she only did 1 copy, and they gave her everything back!! So there seems to be different rules and regulations depending on country. I haven't read anywhere about copies on the actual VFS Kenya site, but to be safe I'm going to do 1 copy and hope they don't keep everything!!

Gone for 16 photos...to be on the safe side....think this will be enough!!

Thanks again!

3crown

Post by 3crown » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:29 am

Hello. I only mentioned the two copies because my hub waited from 5.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. to get into the agency for his 9.00 appointment to lodge his application and when he finally got to the desk they turned him around and told him to come back 2 days later with an extra copy of everything (just trying to help you avoid any unnecessary delays) but yes, they are all very different.
ela27 wrote:As for photos, the darling ECO we dealt with simply said she wasn't interested in the photos - a real charmer. but 16 should cover it!
Thanks,

Yeah I spoke to another girl whose Kenyan husband joined her quite recently and she only did 1 copy, and they gave her everything back!! So there seems to be different rules and regulations depending on country. I haven't read anywhere about copies on the actual VFS Kenya site, but to be safe I'm going to do 1 copy and hope they don't keep everything!!

Gone for 16 photos...to be on the safe side....think this will be enough!!

Thanks again!

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:00 pm

Have you submitted the application yet?

Good Luck
Skeptic

ela27

Post by ela27 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:12 pm

I have now posted all the documents to my husband in kenya and we are hoping to submit next wednesday. This sight has been very helpful - basically enabled me to get everything ready - and when I took all the docs to the immigration advisory service the lady we saw looked over it all and said I had covered everything. The lady wrote us a letter of representation to go with our application which outlined all the requirements for a settlement visa and how we have met them. Everyone at the IAS were very helpful and I am glad I got everything checked before posting. Now my husband and I are keeping our fingers crossed! And we are hoping we can finally see each other again after 5 months apart.

Thanks to everyone who helped :-)