ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do UK resident (Eu spouse) need Schengen Visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

faisal3100
Newly Registered

Do UK resident (Eu spouse) need Schengen Visa?

Post by faisal3100 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:28 pm

Hi,

Do my spouse, who is a non-EU national (Pakistani), and my mother (Pakistani) need a visit visa for the short trip to Finland From the UK?

My wife and mother both have UK resident cards under the EU settlement scheme (type "family member EU residence") and live in the UK.

I am a Finnish national settled in the UK. I'll be travelling with them for the 10-day trip, and we'll all return to the UK together.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Do UK resident (Eu spouse) need Schengen Visa?

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:30 pm

I'd say yes, as UK is no longer in the EU -> EUSS documents don't matter, as they were issued by nonEU authority.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... ard-doc-no
You don't have a residence card as an EU national family member - issued by an EU country - or a residence document - issued by an EU country

You must have a visa
It does mention this:
Travelling in the EU with your non-EU family members
Under EU rules, you have the right to travel together with your core family members (non-EU spouse, children, dependent parents or dependent grandparents) to an EU country other than the one you are a national of.
but you're going to Finland, which is the country you're a national of, so you'd have to rely on Finnish laws, not EU laws, to get them a visa.
If you live outside the EU and your non-EU family members accompany you or travel to the EU country of your nationality, EU cross-border rules do not necessarily apply and your non-EU family members might be charged visa fees.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Do UK resident (Eu spouse) need Schengen Visa?

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:48 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:30 pm
It does mention this:
Travelling in the EU with your non-EU family members
Under EU rules, you have the right to travel together with your core family members (non-EU spouse, children, dependent parents or dependent grandparents) to an EU country other than the one you are a national of.
correction: that won't apply anyway as UK is out of the EU.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.