ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married on an ESTA?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nat1111
Newly Registered

Getting married on an ESTA?

Post by nat1111 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:06 pm

Hey! Can you get married on an ESTA? I’m based in the UK, my fiancé in the US and we’d like to get married over there. I have an ESTA that’s valid until Jan 2024 and have been a couple times this year already.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Getting married on an ESTA?

Post by meself2 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:14 pm

what do you intend to do after, where do you plan to live? UK, US, third country?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:20 am

nat1111 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:06 pm
Hey! Can you get married on an ESTA? I’m based in the UK, my fiancé in the US and we’d like to get married over there. I have an ESTA that’s valid until Jan 2024 and have been a couple times this year already.
No reason why you can't get married whilst on ESTA in the USA. There are no laws against that. What you do (residency) after that, is where it starts to get tricky.
But yeah, you can say "I do". :D
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

nat1111
Newly Registered

Post by nat1111 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:53 pm

Thank you! We'd be going on honeymoon from the US then moving to a third country so it's a tricky one as I wouldn't be coming back to the UK! My partner spoke to a lawyer and we were advised it's fine to do but it's a more a case of it bring 50/50 at border control, not ideal!

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:44 am

Your fiancé also can start an application for a fiancé visa for you. US Fiancé visa

Be aware that marrying someone right after getting into the US with another visa (or a visa waiver) can make your future residency paperwork more complicated. No matter if you have visited before.

I guess the lawyer informed your partner about these things and the options you have, otherwise they should ask if in doubt.