ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language test.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Efficasy

Do I meet requirements for ILR or need to renew again

Post by Efficasy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your contribution and advice.

Background
Granted 2.5yr visa under (10yr) family life after winning a very long court battle and appeal process.
In 2017, solicitor advised I apply under 5yr partner route instead of renewing the 10yr family route - as I met the income requirements.
HO granted 2.5yr under 10yr partner route - no explanation as to why I wasn’t considered under 5yr route. Solicitor was livid and suggested we take action etc, at this point I just wanted to get on with my life, plus we already owed so much money to fund the years of court battle etc.
I applied (myself - no solicitor involved) in 2020 to renew under 10yr partner route, I received outcome - 2.5yr granted under 5yr partner route! I was totally confused.

To my question
I am due to renew this summer, given I have already done about 7yrs legally - do I qualify to apply for ILR or do I have to renew under this category and complete this second part of the 5yr partner route?

Also, my passport expires around the time my visa expires. I am wary of sending my passport off to the embassy of my home country as they can be ridiculous slow and sometimes passports go missing. Does my passport have ti be in date when applying to HO?

Many thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Do I meet requirements for ILR or need to renew again

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:01 pm

Efficasy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:52 pm
To my question
I am due to renew this summer, given I have already done about 7yrs legally - do I qualify to apply for ILR or do I have to renew under this category and complete this second part of the 5yr partner route?
You can't combine 10 year and 5 year route family visas (unless applying via long residence, where you can combine all visas for 10 years), so another 2.5 years it is.
Efficasy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:52 pm
Also, my passport expires around the time my visa expires. I am wary of sending my passport off to the embassy of my home country as they can be ridiculous slow and sometimes passports go missing. Does my passport have ti be in date when applying to HO?
Yes - you need valid passport when applying and giving biometrics.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Efficasy

Re: Do I meet requirements for ILR or need to renew again

Post by Efficasy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:35 pm

Thanks very much!

Efficasy

English language test.

Post by Efficasy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:40 pm

Looking in the UKVI website, it looks like I will need the A2 test rather than A1 in order to renew BRP under 5yr route.

1. Could someone kindly confirm if I’m correct
2. How far ahead can I take the test. I believe it used to be within a month, not sure if this is still correct? I am a bit paranoid in case Covid cases start to rise and we go into lockdown again. Can I take this test now ? - I don’t need to renew for another 5 months.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English language test.

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

A2 or higher. A1 won't be accepted.

You can do it at any time. Never been a 1 monthh before rule.

Please also keep all your questions on the same application in one topic, this one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:46 pm

Better to keep your questions in a single thread, rather then spreading it out on multiple topics, as far as I know.
Efficasy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:40 pm
1. Could someone kindly confirm if I’m correct
Yes, at least A2.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english
You may have to pass a higher CEFR level if you want to stay in the UK after 2.5 years. What you need to do depends on what CEFR level you passed for your first visa.

If you passed:

level A1, you’ll need to pass at least level A2 in speaking and listening
If you take B1 now and use it for extension (which you can do), you can use it when applying to ILR, so consider that if you wish.
If you pass level B1 or higher, you can use your test result again when you apply for settlement after 5 years.
Efficasy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:40 pm
2. How far ahead can I take the test.
Any time, just keep in mind the validity.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prove-your- ... -test-selt
Test results are valid for 2 years from the date the test is awarded.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:04 pm

Thanks all.

@meself2 - I thought about that initially but didn’t want to derail the other topic. I will bear that in mind for future posts.

I will book the test well in advance this time. My only concern tho is that I did not submit an A1 test on last application- due to impact of Covid on slot availability. I managed to sit the test few days after I submitted FLRM, but it was not accepted.

HO RESPONSE
You did not provide evidence that you have passed an English language test.

In line with Government advice on essential travel, social distancing and other restrictions related to COVID-19, the Secure English Language Testing centres where you would normally undertake a test were closed when you submitted your application.

We have therefore decided to exceptionally exercise discretion under parts E- LTRP.4.1. and E-LTRP.4.1A of the Immigration Rules (English language) and your application has been approved. Please note that you will be expected to demonstrate that you meet the English language requirements

So will just the A2 suffice or do I need to show both A1 and A2 this time around? Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:29 pm

A2 or B1 only!! B1 could be used again for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:03 am

Can I please ask a silly question?

I believe the NHS surcharge is still in place, if so how much roughly would this be for second leg of 5year spouse visa?

Also how much is the visa fee now for attendance and postal options?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:21 am

I believe the NHS surcharge is still in place, if so how much roughly would this be for second leg of 5year spouse visa?
£624 x 2.5 = £1560
Also how much is the visa fee now for attendance and postal options?
There is NO postal option or in person with UKVI option anymore. You can only apply online and upload documents online. You then attend a biometric appointment at the third party agent, UKCVAS Sopra Steria. Current visa fee is £1048. For UKCVAS appointment, free appointments are few and taken very quickly and you might have to pay for an appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:35 am

Thanks very much! That’s really helpful. I guess the date I submit the online application is considered my application date - in which case there would be no rush to book a biometric appointment?

Honest opinion, would you consider using a solicitor? I used one last time, but nothing has changed in my case and things should be straight forward. Money is tight at the moment.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:43 am

Thanks very much! That’s really helpful. I guess the date I submit the online application is considered my application date - in which case there would be no rush to book a biometric appointment?
Correct re date of application. You have 45 days to attend the biometric appointment. Note that once you book an appointment, you cannot change it without cancelling it first and then rebooking a new one.
Honest opinion, would you consider using a solicitor? I used one last time, but nothing has changed in my case and things should be straight forward. Money is tight at the moment.
Not worth it. It makes no difference whether you use one or not. They have no influence on your application anyway. You either meet the requirements or you do not, it is that simple.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am

Thanks a lot!

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:15 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the invaluable information.

I am starting to get documents together in preparation for my upcoming application.
I have contacted my one of my utility providers to request paper copies of my statements, but they have refused to send them, instead they said as my account is online billing, I need to print the bills off myself.

Will the HO accept printed black and white paper copies of utility bills? Or are they still adamant on original copy from the utility company?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:19 pm

Online digital documents are accepted. No originals are submitted anymore.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:27 pm

Slightly off topic.

I think there should be a PayPal button to make donations to this site and some of the helpful members. Sorry if that comes across rude, I am very grateful for the information on here and think there should be an opportunity for those that wish to show appreciation to individuals and support the site.

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:31 pm

Hi,

Just seeking some clarification. I’m aware a passport is required when applying for leave to remain, what I’m not clear on is; does it have to have x amount of months validity?

As previously mentioned in one of my previous posts, my passport will have about a month by the time I’m planning to make Ukvi application. I may have renewed it by the time I go for biometric appointment, will this be an issue or can I take the expired and the newly issued passports to my appointment?

Waiting for a new passport before submitting my Ukvi application will be very risky as I’ll have less than a week in between. By the way, I have initiated process for a new passport since January- my home country consulate is very incompetent and nothing works.

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am

Bump

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:07 am

Efficasy wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:31 pm
Hi,

Just seeking some clarification. I’m aware a passport is required when applying for leave to remain, what I’m not clear on is; does it have to have x amount of months validity?

As previously mentioned in one of my previous posts, my passport will have about a month by the time I’m planning to make Ukvi application. I may have renewed it by the time I go for biometric appointment, will this be an issue or can I take the expired and the newly issued passports to my appointment?

Waiting for a new passport before submitting my Ukvi application will be very risky as I’ll have less than a week in between. By the way, I have initiated process for a new passport since January- my home country consulate is very incompetent and nothing works.
The hardcopy passport is not taken from you. Ensure it is still valid at the time of application

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am

Hi,

I’m going through the checklist now. Can I please clarify:

1. I have 3 different sources of statements. 2 are utility and 1 is joint bank statements in both our names. As I will be using the bank statement for financial evidence - showing wages going in, can I still use this as part of the address history for the last 2.5 years?

2. From previous post, I understand evidence is collected digitally. One of the applications pages says, you will need to provide evidence and take them to your biometric appointment, you can take copies.
Do I definitely need to print all of my documents and take them or will this only apply if I haven’t uploaded? I’m hoping I don’t have to as there are loads of documents.

Many thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:41 pm

Efficasy wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am
Hi,

I’m going through the checklist now. Can I please clarify:

1. I have 3 different sources of statements. 2 are utility and 1 is joint bank statements in both our names. As I will be using the bank statement for financial evidence - showing wages going in, can I still use this as part of the address history for the last 2.5 years? Yes

2. From previous post, I understand evidence is collected digitally. One of the applications pages says, you will need to provide evidence and take them to your biometric appointment, you can take copies.
Do I definitely need to print all of my documents and take them or will this only apply if I haven’t uploaded? I’m hoping I don’t have to as there are loads of documents.
No, only documents you take to appointment are passport, printout of your appointment confirmation, maybe BRP
Many thanks.

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:27 pm

Thanks a lot!

I have uploaded documents online, now there’s no option to submit in the Ukvcas. Will this be done at my biometric appointment or I’m I missing something?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:31 pm

Efficasy wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:27 pm
Thanks a lot!

I have uploaded documents online, now there’s no option to submit in the Ukvcas. Will this be done at my biometric appointment or I’m I missing something?

Thank you
The submit button is only available 48 hours or more before your biometric appointment. If not available, ukcvas will submit at your appointment
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Efficasy

Post by Efficasy » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:22 pm

I received an email today from home.office.atlas@notifications.service.gov.uk

It says application successful, but no letter attached to advise on what to do next or if I can apply for ILR in 2.5years time. Is this the standard response the HO sends out ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:56 pm

Efficasy wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:22 pm
I received an email today from home.office.atlas@notifications.service.gov.uk

It says application successful, but no letter attached to advise on what to do next or if I can apply for ILR in 2.5years time. Is this the standard response the HO sends out ?
Congratulations, that's what you will receive. Await your BRP and attachment.
Your decision on what to do next in due time.