ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

British Citizenship application

Post by solpaul1701 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:52 am

Hi folks! I'm completing the new online UK Citizenship application and there are a few fields that I'm confused about. I would be grateful if someone who has done this or has knowledge of it could provide me with a steer. Here are my doubts:

1. I hold an Indian passport which does not state my surname. How should I enter my name on the application?
2. Also, against issuing authority of the passport - should this just be the Government of India?

3. For information on travel outside the UK within the last 5 years, I travelled to Toronto, Canada in May 2019 and from there to New York, USA before returning to the UK later in the month. How do I mention this, as in effect, I left the UK but had two destinations although the departure and return dates can only show one of them?

4. Previous UK visa applications - I have added all the Tier 2 applications including the initial one, renewal at the end of 3 years ,and then the ILR application details. I believe I should also provide details on visit visas I have had so far to the UK although the dates of application and biometric appointment dates are not mandatory as it says on the form - is my understanding correct?

TIA!

contorted_svy
Diamond Member
Italy

Re: British Citizenship application

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:56 pm

1 - I am not sure - I would put only my first name and add N/A under the surname, and explain in the cover letter. Other members may have further input.

2 - Yes

3 - Explain in the cover letter

4 - Enter all immigration applications you ever submitted, with as much detail as you can. Some details are only if you remember them, so be as accurate as you can, but don't worry if you can't remember everything. You can explain in the cover letter if you wish.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:04 pm

Thank you very much! I had not realized there would be a cover letter option as the online application form, once all fields are completed, takes me to the Payment page. I ll have a look again if I did miss this anywhere along.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:08 pm

solpaul1701 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:04 pm
Thank you very much! I had not realized there would be a cover letter option as the online application form, once all fields are completed, takes me to the Payment page. I ll have a look again if I did miss this anywhere along.
You upload a cover letter with your supporting documents AFTER submission and payment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:18 pm

Amazing, thanks a ton!

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:05 am

Hi, me again!

My referee declarations are dated 26 October and 2 November 2022 respectively. Is there any guidance as to how soon the application has to be submitted from these dates? Like, if I am unable to submit for other reasons until February 2023 for example, would I need to get them signed again closer to the submission?

Thanks, as always.

Solomon

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:21 am

Also, since I am a non-EU/EEA Citizen, I believe I have to submit my passport along with the application for verifying absences from the UK. Does this mean it will be with the Home Office until a decision on my application is made, and therefore I will not be able to travel out of the UK during the period?

TIA!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:48 am

solpaul1701 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:21 am
Also, since I am a non-EU/EEA Citizen, I believe I have to submit my passport along with the application for verifying absences from the UK. Does this mean it will be with the Home Office until a decision on my application is made, and therefore I will not be able to travel out of the UK during the period?

TIA!
You're not physically sending it to HO, just upload the copy online. And you can travel, it's not an immigration application.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:10 pm

The guidance on the application page (prior to payment) is confusing where it says 'scan and send all original documents', which includes the passport. Thanks for making that clear - I ll upload, although it still says if they need to see anything in original, they ll let me know.

Would you also know about my previous question on the referee declaration dates?

TIA!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:24 pm

UKVI can and sometimes do ask for physical documents if they deem it necessary, also additional documents. But it's not a general rule that they will.

In terms of age of referee signatures there aren't any official rules but personally I would to suggest a month either side of the application date is fine. No issues regarding dating of referee declarations have been reported, as far as I remember. Again, UKVI is entitled to query referee declarations or ask for a different referee.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:04 pm

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm not sure what you meant by either side of the application date but I take it from what you mentioned that submitting the application within a period of 3-4 months from when the declarations were signed should still be okay.

Solomon

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi,

While applying for Citizenship, should I be declaring a Bus Lane fine that was issued to me today?

Thanks
Solomon

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:54 pm

solpaul1701 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:04 pm
Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm not sure what you meant by either side of the application date but I take it from what you mentioned that submitting the application within a period of 3-4 months from when the declarations were signed should still be okay.

Solomon
I think he meant referee declaration signed anytime between one month before application submission and one month after application submission. That's what I would say as well.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:02 pm

Thanks. My understanding was all documentation (including referee declarations) were to be uploaded while submitting the application online, after payment - which was why I was confused. If it can be submitted a month after the application, am I right in assuming this then means there is a time period within which the documents can be provided to the HO after applying?

Would you know about the Bus lane penalty ? I got one and was wondering whether this should be mentioned on the application at all? This is the only penalty I have had in 5 years.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm

solpaul1701 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:02 pm
Thanks. My understanding was all documentation (including referee declarations) were to be uploaded while submitting the application online, after payment - which was why I was confused. If it can be submitted a month after the application, am I right in assuming this then means there is a time period within which the documents can be provided to the HO after applying?
The way it works is, you submit the application the second you hit the payment button. In that sense, all documents are supplied after application, not while. The one thing submitted on application is the form itself, but no supporting documents go with it.

You can submit supporting documents anytime between your application and your biometrics appointment, or if you are using the IDV app, until you use the app to submit your pic, etc I think. If your biometrics appointment is one month after application (which can actually be the case, if you want a free appointment, that's how long you need to wait), then yes, you can submit supporting documents one month after application.

But that's not the point. The date of signature displayed on the referee form is almost never ever the exact date you actually submit the referee form, right? And that is OK. All in all, I think it is reasonable to say that you should aim to have your referee forms signed and dated not more than a month apart from the actual date you submit the referee form with your supporting documents.
Would you know about the Bus lane penalty ? I got one and was wondering whether this should be mentioned on the application at all? This is the only penalty I have had in 5 years.
You should always declare these type of things. Such a minor thing won't have any impact on your application.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:18 am

Thanks a lot, that's very clear and helpful :)

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:49 am

Happy New Year!

Our (mine and my wife's) citizenship application was submitted online yesterday and I have booked a Biometric appointment on 28 January. My wife's current passport expires on 17 July 2023.

The application confirmation mentioned a 6 month time period for processing, however, I also saw HO consider the start of the application to be when the documents and biometrics are received. Either due to a delay or due to the latter reason, a decision could be after the expiry of the passport.

My understanding is that it does not matter if the passport expires during the process although it is ideal if it is valid on the date of application and the date of biometrics. I hope this is correct - would someone please be able to advice if it would still be advisable to renew the passport in the meantime?

TIA!

S

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:02 pm

Passport or other ID documents expiring during application processing is not an issue - no action required.
Irrespective of the above, renewing your passport in the meantime is still advisable due to long processing times by embassies/consulates/etc. and you will only be able to obtain a British passport once you attended the ceremony and are British.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:46 pm

I agree, I take it you were referring to the passport renewal process itself, in terms of the processing times. Also, I believe it would be helpful to have the renewal done considering travel requirements that may come up to other countries (on the basis of the 6 month minimum validity).

And yes, I do understand I can only apply for the British passport once the naturalization certificate is received, and after the ceremony.

Thank you for your advice, as always!

S

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:35 pm

Hello folks!

What can be submitted in support of 'proof of living in the UK for 5 years' , given I am an Indian citizen at present? I read that this would be my passport itself, but I also read (and was told) that original passports are not required to be submitted as part of my application. I also read the proof for this provided at the time of my Indefinite Leave to Remain application are not valid (such as utility bills etc) while applying for Citizenship.

Grateful for any thoughts/guidance from anyone.

S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:37 pm

solpaul1701 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:35 pm
Hello folks!

What can be submitted in support of 'proof of living in the UK for 5 years' , given I am an Indian citizen at present? I read that this would be my passport itself, but I also read (and was told) that original passports are not required to be submitted as part of my application. I also read the proof for this provided at the time of my Indefinite Leave to Remain application are not valid (such as utility bills etc) while applying for Citizenship.

Grateful for any thoughts/guidance from anyone.

S
It is ONLY your passport that is required. The biometric page and all stamped pages uploaded to UKCVAS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:47 pm

Amazing, thank you very much for that!

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:22 pm

So, all done with the Biometric appointment and documents submission via UKVACS last Saturday (28 January). When I log in to my UKVI (Naturalisation) application, it still shows the status as incomplete, mentioning the download of referee signature forms as well as booking a Biometric appointment.

I assume this will be updated once UKVACS transmit the completion of my biometrics/documents submission to UKVI, although I was told it would be done by 10 PM last Saturday (this was because I still had to submit a non-mandatory document via the self-upload option, which I did before 10 PM).

Any thoughts please? TIA!

S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 pm

It's normal for the portal to say that. It will likely stay that way. It doesn't simply update.

If you done everything, then all you need to do now is wait.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

solpaul1701
Newly Registered
India

Post by solpaul1701 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:59 pm

Thank you, that's good to know.

Right, now the wait starts!

S