ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visa enquiry

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MerlynFL16
Newly Registered

Belize UK visitor query

Post by MerlynFL16 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:28 am

Hello,

I need some advice please.

Can a Belizian national in the UK on a 6 month permitted stay, leave the UK to another European country for a short break, re. enter the UK and get granted a further 6 months?

If they stayed for the full or almost the full 6 months, what period of time would they have to leave the UK in order to be granted a further 6 months or are there restrictions on how many times they can re enter the UK in one 12 month period?

Belizian's don't need any visa to enter the UK but have their passport stamped with a 6 month permit.

Any advice would be so helpful.

Thanks in advance all :-)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Belize UK visitor query

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:23 pm

You cannot be spending more time in the uk than you do in your home country. This is considered residing under the guise of being a visitor.

You could very well be stopped at the border and refused entry.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MerlynFL16
Newly Registered

Post by MerlynFL16 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:14 pm

Thank you.

I wasn't asking in terms of residing. I merely wanted to know if a Belizian can come back into the UK after being here for the 6 month period or is one visit in a 12 month period the limit.

Also, of they go on a short break somewhere from the UK how does this impact, if at all on the agreed 6 months allowed in the UK?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 pm

There is no numerical limit of how long (apart from the six months in one instance) and how frequent a visitor can stay in the UK.

However, the Immigration Rules expressly forbid residing in the UK in the guise of frequent or successive visits. And it would be the Immigration Officer at the border (at the air/sea port or at the juxtaposed border controls for Eurostar in Paris/Brussels) who would make the assessment whether trying to return back to the UK after a visit within the last few months counts as "frequent or successive visits".

If they so decide, you could be sent back from the port itself and may get an entry ban for a longer period of time.

It is the judgment of the Immigration Officer that counts, not your assessment of whether you are visiting or residing in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MerlynFL16
Newly Registered

Post by MerlynFL16 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:02 pm

Thank you.

Would you know how easy it might be to apply for a family visa whilst in the UK on a six month permitted stay?

There is no intention to live in the UK permanently but there may be a need to provide support to an unwell family member.

Thanks in advance

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm

MerlynFL16 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:02 pm
Thank you.

Would you know how easy it might be to apply for a family visa whilst in the UK on a six month permitted stay?

There is no intention to live in the UK permanently but there may be a need to provide support to an unwell family member.

Thanks in advance
You have to leave UK to change your status if you're in the country as a visitor. For example:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
When you cannot get a family visa
In some circumstances you cannot apply for, or switch to, a family visa.
[...]
You’ll usually need to leave the UK to apply for a family visa if either:

you have permission to be in the UK as a visitor
your visa is for 6 months or less
Also I'm unsure what kind of visa (if any) would be given in this case.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:21 pm

MerlynFL16 wrote:
Thank you.

Thanks in advance
Any support that requires one to stay here for 6 months isn't support anymore. It's working/living here. It's fine as a one off in a year, but jetting out to jet back in quickly for another 6 months is just IMM101. I'm sure you'd know that you're not the first to have thought about this move and probably won't be the last.

I know someone that came to the UK for 10 days. Travelled back home and was back 4 months later to spend 5 weeks. He was stopped at the boarder and asked to explain why he was back so soon. Also to explain what he did the last time he was here, and what he intends to do now.

He was let in, as his story was solid. But not sure what story you can spin for 6 months stay each visit.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:51 pm

MerlynFL16 wrote:
Thank you.

Thanks in advance
Not only is it not easy, it normally is non existent. If you know this already maybe apply for the family visa ab initio as your stated question appears to be on circumventing the immigration process and HO has seen it all.

MerlynFL16
Newly Registered

Family visa enquiry

Post by MerlynFL16 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible for someone to apply for a family or spouse visa after being in the UK on a 6month visa after being in the country for 3 months?

Is there any visa they could apply for which would enable them to work? And stay for up to two years? They don't wish to reside in the UK permanently.

Thanks in advance for any info

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Family visa enquiry

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:12 pm

You were already advised that it is not possible when you asked in January 2023. The advice does not change.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MerlynFL16
Newly Registered

Post by MerlynFL16 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:39 pm

Thanks, I'm sorry but I missed all responses.

And maybe I'm missing something but I have seen online info which suggests it may be possible to apply for either a spouse or family visa if someone is still in the UK and application is possible whilst residing here. I'm just seeking clarity with this in mind.

No one is seeking to bend or circumvent rules, just to gain clarity.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:43 pm

A person in the UK as a visitor cannot apply for any other longer term visa to live and work in the uk. The rules do not allow this. They must apply for a visa they qualify for from their home country.
meself2 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm
MerlynFL16 wrote:
Thank you.

Thanks in advance
You have to leave UK to change your status if you're in the country as a visitor. For example:
[...]

Char (CR001 not Casa)

MerlynFL16
Newly Registered

Post by MerlynFL16 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:58 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:43 pm
A person in the UK as a visitor cannot apply for any other longer term visa to live and work in the uk. The rules do not allow this. They must apply for a visa they qualify for from their home country.

Ok, thank you for clarifying.
meself2 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm
MerlynFL16 wrote:
Thank you.

Thanks in advance
[...]

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:01 pm

The person would need to find one they qualify for based on their circumstances and apply from their home country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)