ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice required for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aeun-flux
Mood:

Advice required for British Citizenship

Post by aeun-flux » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:26 pm

Good evening all,

I hope everyone is keeping well and healthy in the new year.

I require some advice about a simple matter (hopefully), I will explain below:

I am a British citizen by naturalization and my Missus is an EEA citizen with ILR/Settled status in the UK. We have 2 daughters, I am the step-father of our older one who is US citizen and our youngest is a British citizen by birth. My step-daughter carries my surname which was changed via Deed-poll. In her US Birth certificate , only her Mum's name is stated. We haven't done any formal process for myself to officially adopt her however we are thinking of that once her current status is finalized. She has US citizenship with ILR in the UK.
And now we want to apply for her British Citizenship before she turns 18.

My questions:

- we started the application under the "apply at the discretion of Home secretary for someone under 18 born outside the UK" - will that be correct ?

- I initially stated my name in the application as step-father but was asked to provide official documents of adoption, which I unfortunately do not have at this moment..

- there are several document requests which we have to tick the box, are all those documents necessary ?

I hope I have kept information enough for some advice..

Kind regards,

AEuN-Flux

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Advice required for British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:19 am

The child can apply for citizenship when the mother does.

There is no concept of step parent for citizenship applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:12 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:19 am
The child can apply for citizenship when the mother does.

There is no concept of step parent for citizenship applications.
Thanks a million for this point.
Does it mean that she cannot apply for citizenship unless Mum gets her citizenship sorted?

Please advise

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:47 pm

Does it mean that she cannot apply for citizenship unless Mum gets her citizenship sorted?
Correct yes. She can apply at the same time as her mother or after her mother becomes British. Either is fine.

The only time she can apply on her own is if she was born in the uk or once she is 18 years old and applying as an adult.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:46 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:47 pm
Correct yes. She can apply at the same time as her mother or after her mother becomes British. Either is fine.

The only time she can apply on her own is if she was born in the uk or once she is 18 years old and applying as an adult.

Aaah ok.. thanks for the clarification.
Mum is EEA passport holder and unfortunately she cannot have dual citizenship at this point. So probably we shall hold up until young Lady is 18.

Last question- even if I get adoption complete for her, will she be able to apply under my name?

Kind regards

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:58 pm

Not familiar with MN1 registration process, but would discretion wrt settlement/residence not apply here, depending on child's UK residence? Either
Children with settlement and residence
or
Children who have lived in the UK for more than 10 years
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:20 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:58 pm
Not familiar with MN1 registration process, but would discretion wrt settlement/residence not apply here, depending on child's UK residence? Either
Children with settlement and residence
or
Children who have lived in the UK for more than 10 years
I initially thought the same :) , but just wanted to get more clarification. She was born in US, but came to UK in Sept 2009, at the age of 2 and a half. She has done her whole life schooling her and ongoing.. Will she not be considered for her application ?

please advice

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm

quoting secret.simon on this as I'm not comfortable in this area to make a judgement on my own, from british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... 34707.html:
secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 am
He may be able to register as a British citizen at discretion, because he has ILR, has lived in the UK for more than 10 years and both his parents are also on ILR. It may not be necessary for either one parent to apply for naturalisation at the same time.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:56 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm
quoting secret.simon on this as I'm not comfortable in this area to make a judgement on my own, from british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... 34707.html:
secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 am
He may be able to register as a British citizen at discretion, because he has ILR, has lived in the UK for more than 10 years and both his parents are also on ILR. It may not be necessary for either one parent to apply for naturalisation at the same time.
Hmm.. that's interesting. I am quite eager to understand @CR001's opinion too (if possible) along with @secret.simon 's advice.

@meself2, you are a star...