ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married Colombian and Italian want to live in Spain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

NaLu
Newly Registered
Columbia

Married Colombian and Italian want to live in Spain

Post by NaLu » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:30 pm

Hi, I (Colombian) and my wife (Italian) would like to transfer ourselves to Spain.

We currently live in UK and both have our jobs here. My company has an office in Madrid and so I can keep my contract if we transfer to Spain.

Reading about how immigration rules affect me, I found this page on the Spanish government website stating everything I'd need.

My concern is that while I can keep my job, my wife can't, and she would probably have to find a job after we move to Spain. The issue with this is that, according to the website, it is the EU citizen who must demonstrate either a) enough earnings or b) savings to guarantee the wellbeing of the couple.

If we choose to demonstrate money through income:
So, would my income not count towards the earnings requested by the Spanish government? Does it necessarily have to be the income of the EU citizen?

If we choose to demonstrate money through savings:
The document says we could also provide proof of savings enough to cover the period of residency. If the residence permit is given for 5 years, does it mean showing savings enough for 5 years? (That sounds like a lot of money) Or the savings should be enough for the first year or something like that?

Thanks!

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Married Colombian and Italian want to live in Spain

Post by manci » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:52 pm

Read carefully Chapter III, Article 7 of DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 8-20110616

One way around your predicament may be if your Italian wife registers in Spain as a job seeker. This is one of the ways an EU citizen can obtain residence rights in another Member State. Residence rights of non-EU family members derive from the residence right of the EU citizen.

Another possibility may be for you to apply for a Spanish work visa. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-s ... k#transfer
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Married Colombian and Italian want to live in Spain

Post by manci » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:10 pm

As to your question about self-sufficiency refer to
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/wp-cont ... ciency.pdf
Generally it means a level of income or resources that ensure that the person will not be a burden on the state. i.e. no eligibility for state support
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice