ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Domestic Worker Query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mohanverma123
India

Overseas Domestic Worker Query

Post by mohanverma123 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:42 pm

Hi,
I am a British Citizen (naturalised) and my wife is pregnant (indian citizen). My mother lives alone in India and got a 10yr visit visa granted last year and has not travelled since she has got the visa. She is planned to travel for 3 weeks in end of April but also looking to bring the domestic helper who has been employed with us since last 4 years and live with my mum in India. I have read all the procedures and policies that is on gov.uk website but wanted to find out if anyone has any first hand experience of getting visa approved for an overseas domestic worker?

Also, the rule says that the domestic worker has to be employed for atleast one year which she clearly has been but have been receiving the salary in cash? So, how would we prove that she has been employed with us?

secret.simon

Re: Overseas Domestic Worker Query

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:04 pm

A domestic worker would be expected to a clear contract with their employer. A copy of that contract would help.

You'd probably also want to help the domestic worker set up a bank account so that there is a clear paper trail.
Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

a current passport or other valid travel identification
proof you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
a completed ‘Appendix domestic worker statement’ signed by both you and your employer
a letter from your employer confirming your job title, how long you’ve worked for them and that you’re a permanent employee

You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

You must also provide 1 of the following documents covering the same period of employment:

pay slips or bank statements showing payment of salary
confirmation of tax paid
confirmation of health insurance paid
contract of employment
work visa, residence permit or equivalent passport endorsement for the country where you’re currently employed by your employer
visas or equivalent passport endorsement if you’ve travelled with your employer before
The "you" in the quote above applies to the overseas domestic worker, not the employer.

The Leaflet for such applicants also specifies that a written contract, compliant with UK labour laws, needs to be signed by both the employer and employee and the employee is given one copy.

As somebody staying in the UK for fewer than six months at a time, they will not be able to use the NHS free of cost and you may want to look into private health insurance for them.

Also keep in mind that while in the UK, the overseas domestic worker would be entitled to the full benefits and protection of UK labour laws, including the UK national minimum wage, sick leave and holiday pay, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jaguar999
Newly Registered

Post by jaguar999 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:46 pm

mohanverma123 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:42 pm
Hi,
I am a British Citizen (naturalised) and my wife is pregnant (indian citizen). My mother lives alone in India and got a 10yr visit visa granted last year and has not travelled since she has got the visa. She is planned to travel for 3 weeks in end of April but also looking to bring the domestic helper who has been employed with us since last 4 years and live with my mum in India. I have read all the procedures and policies that is on gov.uk website but wanted to find out if anyone has any first hand experience of getting visa approved for an overseas domestic worker?

Also, the rule says that the domestic worker has to be employed for atleast one year which she clearly has been but have been receiving the salary in cash? So, how would we prove that she has been employed with us?
Hi Mohan,
Hope you are doing great. thankyou for starting this thread on this forum.
I am trying to get a Domestic worker visa for my parent's domestic worker who lives with them and works for them since 5 years now. I will be very greatful if you can share your experience and share any tips please.

mohanverma123
India

Post by mohanverma123 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:33 am

As the process was complicated, we did not purse this further