ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Becoming a British citizen on EU settlement settled status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bwunmi

Becoming a British citizen on EU settlement settled status

Post by bwunmi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:14 pm

Hi All.
I would need someone to shed some light on this please.
My children 15 and 3 years old. Both EU citizen got their settled status last year based on their Dad's Settled status.
My eldest (15) is just 3 years and 4 months in the UK and my youngest (3 )was born in the UK.
When can I apply for their neutralisation please. Do I have to wait till they fulfill their 5 years residency in UK please?
Thank you

secret.simon

Re: Becoming a British citizen on EU settlement settled status

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:52 pm

Children are not naturalised, but registered as British citizens.

For the child born abroad, they can be registered as British citizens when
(a) at least one parent has either become a British citizen or applied to become one AND the other parent and child both have settled status or ILR, OR,
(b) the child has lived at least 10 years in the UK.

So, what is the British citizenship status of the two parents of the children?

And how long have they lived in the UK?

For the child born in the UK, they can be registered as a British citizen now as at least one of the parents has settled status.

The form to use is Form MN1.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.