ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility for Irish Passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sorrels_mo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Eligibility for Irish Passport

Post by sorrels_mo » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:58 pm

Hi,

I am reaching out to inquire about the eligibility of my daughter for an Irish passport. She was born in Northern Ireland while I was on a student visa, and she is currently 14 years old and holds a British passport.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with information or assistance in determining whether she is eligible for an Irish passport based on her birthplace in Northern Ireland.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your response.

Best regards,

meself2
Ireland

Re: Eligibility for Irish Passport

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:07 pm

What's your and other parent's nationality/legal status at the moment of child's birth? Birth in NI alone doesn't warrant a passport (after 2005, that is).

For consideration: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... scent.html
If either of your parents was an Irish or UK citizen at the time of your birth, you are automatically an Irish citizen if you were born in Ireland. If you were born in Northern Ireland to an Irish or British parent, you can choose to be an Irish citizen.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:14 pm

also https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... nship.html
You were born in Ireland or Northern Ireland after 31 December 2004 and any of the following applies to you:
One (or both) of your parents was Irish or entitled to be an Irish citizen or a British citizen at the time of your birth
One (or both) of your parents was an Irish or British citizen and died before you were born
One (or both) of your parents was entitled to live in Ireland or Northern Ireland without any restriction on his or her period of residency
One (or both) of your parents was legally resident on the island of Ireland for 3 out of the 4 years immediately before your birth (this does not include residence on a student visa, or residence while awaiting an international protection decision)
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sorrels_mo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by sorrels_mo » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:56 pm

Thanks for your reply.

We are from non-EU country . At the time of the child's birth, one parent held a student visa while the other held a student dependent visa in the UK. However, all members of the family are now UK citizens.

Thansk

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:15 pm

sorrels_mo wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:56 pm
Thanks for your reply.

We are from non-EU country . At the time of the child's birth, one parent held a student visa while the other held a student dependent visa in the UK. However, all members of the family are now UK citizens.

Thansk
I'll ask for safety sake, if you lived in NI for 3 years before switching to student visa (so "One (or both) of your parents was legally resident on the island of Ireland for 3 out of the 4 years immediately before your birth (this does not include residence on a student visa, or residence while awaiting an international protection decision)" condition is fulfilled).
Assuming you didn't, her place of birth doesn't give her any shortcuts to Irish citizenship. She'd have to move to ROI and live there for 5 years to apply for naturalization, same as all foreigners.