ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Multiple Entry Visa to Schengen first visa France - new rules?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

adi27
India

Multiple Entry Visa to Schengen first visa France - new rules?

Post by adi27 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:52 pm

Hello,

We are planning to visit France in end of March'23 and currently hold BRP (dependant visa) for UK. We have in the past (2015- 2017) held a Multiple entry Schengen visa. But looking at the form now, I'm bit confused with following rules on https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/:

1-year multiple-entry Schengen visa
You can obtain this visa provided that you have obtained and lawfully used three visas within the previous two years. When you apply for this visa, you will need to show proof of your previous visas and the trips you made to the Schengen Zone.

The 1-year MEV visa gives you the right to enter the Schengen Zone as many times as you want, as long as you do not remain more than 90 days within this period.

We were hoping that we could apply for MEV so that we can plan multiple trips to Europe purely for purpose of tourism. I'll appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences w.r.t such type of VISA applications, timelines, where to apply (French consulate or VFS etc),chances of MEV approval etc.

Also, I believe the application needs proof of travel, insurance, etc. How can we take the risk of pre-booking before the VISA approval.

Also, are the chances of MEV approval same across all Schengen countries or will I benefit from visiting one country first over any other, say for example Spain before France.

Thanks in advance!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Multiple Entry Visa to Schengen first visa France - new rules?

Post by meself2 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:56 pm

It's not a special application, just an option for embassies to give frequent lawful travelers a bit more levy.
You apply as usual, for wherever you're going for in the first place. You don't have to book things for the duration of a year - just your usual trip bookings will do and if everything is in order, you get a longer visa.

Notice the language: you can, not necessarily will get it - the decision is up to consular employees still.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm

adi27 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:52 pm
We have in the past (2015- 2017) held a Multiple entry Schengen visa.
That would be too far back, I'm afraid.
I had a 3-year MEV that expired a few years ago ('17), applied for another one last year and got a month and a half (but it was MEV nevertheless). You might have to earn your credibility from scratch.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

adi27
India

Post by adi27 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:39 pm

Many thanks @meself2, much appreciated!

I was thinking of applying for MEV with a hope that I would get a long term min 1 year VISA, so that I can do my first trip immediately may be in early April'23 and then do the future bookings/plannings later may be in summer between June- Sep'23. Is there any criteria for the consular employees to decide on the maximum term of the VISA? This way ,it seems like I would be at risk of getting much shorter term VISA than I hoped for and may end up having to reapply again later in summer'23. Is my understanding correct?

Also, say if I'm OK to take that risk and just be concerned about first trip to France, do I still need to pre-book flight tickets, insurance, hotel etc before submitting the VISA application? I'm asking this as the application is apparently demanding travel proofs.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:00 pm

adi27 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:39 pm
I was thinking of applying for MEV with a hope that I would get a long term min 1 year VISA, so that I can do my first trip immediately may be in early April'23 and then do the future bookings/plannings later may be in summer between June- Sep'23
You can't just tick a box "1 year MEV", as you, know; you just pick if you want a single or multiple entry, and afterwards it's up to visa officer.
adi27 wrote:
Is there any criteria for the consular employees to decide on the maximum term of the VISA?
Some of those are quoted by you in the first post - 3 visas in two years means a good chance you'll get a year long MEV; besides that, usual stuff like your credibility, amount of money and all. See a (rather old) example - post2065238.html#p2065238.
adi27 wrote:
This way ,it seems like I would be at risk of getting much shorter term VISA than I hoped for and may end up having to reapply again later in summer'23. Is my understanding correct?
Yes. I'd say you might get a month or two, based on my experience, but it's all individual.
adi27 wrote:
Also, say if I'm OK to take that risk and just be concerned about first trip to France, do I still need to pre-book flight tickets, insurance, hotel etc before submitting the VISA application? I'm asking this as the application is apparently demanding travel proofs.
Yep. See quote from one of the forms:
5.2 Proof of confirmed return ticket
[...]
Confirmed hotel booking for your full stay in the Schengen area or any other
appropriate document stating the planned accommodation, or booking confirmation of a
European tour or any other appropriate document
Keep in mind you can (and, probably, should, if you're not sure) book refundable flights and accommodation, so if it doesn't work out, you can cancel out of it without a lot of financial loss. Insurance is necessary, but no idea if it can be refunded if that'll be the case.