ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German Tourist Schengen Visa: Duration of stay

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sahilsharma011
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

German Tourist Schengen Visa: Duration of stay

Post by sahilsharma011 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:26 pm

I've a trip planned to Germany in April and on my Visa, it says that the Duration of stay is 8 days but the valid from date is 18 April and valid until date is 10 May, which comes out to total 22 days. This is a multi entry tourist visa.
Can I stay for longer than 8 days on my trip till the valid until date? Or can I come back to my home country in 8 days and then go back to Germany again before the valid until date?
Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: German Tourist Schengen Visa: Duration of stay

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:32 pm

sahilsharma011 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:26 pm
Can I stay for longer than 8 days on my trip till the valid until date? Or can I come back to my home country in 8 days and then go back to Germany again before the valid until date?
No to both.
You can enter Schengen area between these dates (April 18 - May 10), but you're only permitted to stay inside the Schengen zone for 8 days of this period. Best you can do is stay for 5 days, leave and come back for 3 days, for example; total number of days that you spent here must be no more than 8.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 pm

sahilsharma011 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:26 pm
I've a trip planned to Germany in April and on my Visa, it says that the Duration of stay is 8 days but the valid from date is 18 April and valid until date is 10 May, which comes out to total 22 days. This is a multi entry tourist visa.
Thanks
Firstly, with the Schengen visa, it's always advisable to apply in advance for your visa. This enables you to plan you journey properly.
Whilst filling your form, you would have mentioned when you planned on arriving into the Schengen area.
What then happens if visa is granted is that it triggers 3 dates.
Issue date: Date that the visa was issued by the respective embassy
Valid date: Date that visa can be used. Usually the date that you plan to travel or arrive in the Schengen area.
Expiry date: Date visa expires.

Also you have duration of stay. This is the amount of time you can spend on your visit. If you have a Multiple Entry Visa, you can spend the duration of stay on every successive visit. Not in summation.

So in summary, every time you enter, you can spend 8 days maximum.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 pm
Also you have duration of stay. This is the amount of time you can spend on your visit. If you have a Multiple Entry Visa, you can spend the duration of stay on every successive visit. Not in summation.
I would disagree; my view is that you can only stay for X amount of days between "to" and "from" dates, no matter if it was one entry or two.
https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/how-r ... sticker_en
The period of time between "FROM …UNTIL" is usually longer than the number of days printed in the "DURATION OF STAY" field. The difference in period is meant to give you flexibility to plan your entry into and exit from the Schengen area, but your stay in the Schengen area must never exceed the exact number of days in the "DURATION OF STAY …DAYS" field.
https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/vis ... -on-a-visa
‘Duration of stay’ tells you how many days you may stay in the Netherlands and other Schengen countries, within the period of validity mentioned at 'From' and ‘Until’.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:36 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm
Ticktack wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 pm
I would disagree; my view is that you can only stay for X amount of days between "to" and "from" dates, no matter if it was one entry or two.
https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/how-r ... sticker_en
The period of time between "FROM …UNTIL" is usually longer than the number of days printed in the "DURATION OF STAY" field. The difference in period is meant to give you flexibility to plan your entry into and exit from the Schengen area, but your stay in the Schengen area must never exceed the exact number of days in the "DURATION OF STAY …DAYS" field.
https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/vis ... -on-a-visa
‘Duration of stay’ tells you how many days you may stay in the Netherlands and other Schengen countries, within the period of validity mentioned at 'From' and ‘Until’.
I stand corrected. You're absolutely right on this.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!