ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lawful and continuous residence changes to Long Residence route from 12 April 2023

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

munirabid
Member of Standing

Lawful and continuous residence changes to Long Residence route from 12 April 2023

Post by munirabid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:47 pm

https://freemovement.org.uk/statement-o ... es-hc1160/

Lawful and continuous residence
The current definition of what constitutes lawful residence in the UK under the long residency rules is unclear and this has lead, apparently, to “confusion for customers and a broader interpretation than intended”.

Any permission to be in the UK that would usually be granted for 12 months or less, and where switching onto another route is generally not allowed from within the UK, do not count towards time lawfully and continuously resident in the UK:

“(b) “lawful residence” means residence which is continuous residence pursuant to:
(i) existing leave to enter or remain, except this cannot include time with entry clearance or permission under Appendix V: Visitor, Appendix Short-term Student (English language), or Appendix Temporary work – Seasonal Worker; or
(ii) an exemption from immigration control, including where an exemption ceases to apply if it is immediately followed by a grant of leave to enter or remain.
(c) “lawful residence” does not include time spent on immigration bail.”

This re-enforces the expectation that an individual should leave the UK at the end of a short stay. Non-visa nationals who enter the UK through e-gates for more long term visas might also need to make sure that they enter on or after the date their visa is valid from, rather than entering as a visitor shortly before the start date on their visa, just because they can.

However, an individual who has spent time on any of these short-term visas and is then granted permission to stay in the UK on another basis may be able to qualify for long residence, but they will need to wait longer.

Please tell me somebody? When these changes effect? because HO exclude people on Immigration bail or Temporary admission for 10 years long residence.

munirabid
Member of Standing

Re: Immigration rules changes hc 1160

Post by munirabid » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 pm

munirabid wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:47 pm
https://freemovement.org.uk/statement-o ... es-hc1160/

Lawful and continuous residence
The current definition of what constitutes lawful residence in the UK under the long residency rules is unclear and this has lead, apparently, to “confusion for customers and a broader interpretation than intended”.

Any permission to be in the UK that would usually be granted for 12 months or less, and where switching onto another route is generally not allowed from within the UK, do not count towards time lawfully and continuously resident in the UK:

“(b) “lawful residence” means residence which is continuous residence pursuant to:
(i) existing leave to enter or remain, except this cannot include time with entry clearance or permission under Appendix V: Visitor, Appendix Short-term Student (English language), or Appendix Temporary work – Seasonal Worker; or
(ii) an exemption from immigration control, including where an exemption ceases to apply if it is immediately followed by a grant of leave to enter or remain.
(c) “lawful residence” does not include time spent on immigration bail.”

This re-enforces the expectation that an individual should leave the UK at the end of a short stay. Non-visa nationals who enter the UK through e-gates for more long term visas might also need to make sure that they enter on or after the date their visa is valid from, rather than entering as a visitor shortly before the start date on their visa, just because they can.

However, an individual who has spent time on any of these short-term visas and is then granted permission to stay in the UK on another basis may be able to qualify for long residence, but they will need to wait longer.

Please tell me somebody? When these changes effect? because HO exclude people on Immigration bail or Temporary admission for 10 years long residence.
Hi Zimba

Please can you explain, if somebody had on temporary admission and then later granted leave. HO will still count lawful residence? according to the new statement 9th of March and when this new rules applied?

zimba
Mood:

Re: Immigration rules changes hc 1160

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:11 pm

These changes will be implemented from 12 April 2023. For the long residence route, the time spent under temporary admission or immigration bail will no longer count. So you must have to wait longer to complete a 10-year period. This means you keep staying as a lawful resident but that period of temporary admission should be excluded from the 10-year period required for ILR under the long residence rules.
Changes to the Long Residence rules

7.65 The current definition of what constitutes lawful residence in the long residence rules is not clear, and this has led to confusion for customers and a broader interpretation than intended. These changes will make the definition easier to understand and better represent the purpose of the long residence route.

7.66 The rules are changing to not allow any period on immigration bail to count towards the qualifying period for long residence in any circumstances. This creates a simple expectation that people cannot count time with precarious status towards settlement on the basis of long residence.

7.67 The changes will also not allow time as a visitor, short-term student and on the seasonal worker routes to count towards long residence. This makes it clear that time spent on a route which both allows for a maximum grant of permission of 12 months, and where switching is generally not allowed (so there is the strongest possible expectation that the person will leave the UK at the end of a short stay), cannot count towards settlement on the basis of long residence.

7.68 A person who has spent a period of time on immigration bail or as a visitor (or other temporary permission) who is later granted permission on another basis will still be able to qualify for long residence settlement, but they will need to wait longer to do so.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

munirabid
Member of Standing

Re: Lawful and continuous residence changes for the Long Resident route

Post by munirabid » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:46 pm

Thanks zimba
If someone apply before 12 April 2023 for ILR in the base of Temporary admission , can still home office consider them according to old rules?

Please Zimba clarify

zimba
Mood:

Re: Lawful and continuous residence changes for the Long Resident route

Post by zimba » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:05 am

munirabid wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:46 pm
Thanks zimba
If someone apply before 12 April 2023 for ILR in the base of Temporary admission , can still home office consider them according to old rules?

Please Zimba clarify
Yes
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

zimba
Mood:

Re: Lawful and continuous residence changes to Long Residence route from 12 April 2023

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:53 pm

zimba
Mood:

Re: Lawful and continuous residence changes to Long Residence route from 12 April 2023

Post by zimba » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:15 pm