ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefits/ Training on pre-settled status

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

euspouse07
Mood:
Ireland

Benefits/ Training on pre-settled status

Post by euspouse07 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:09 pm

Dear all
I wonder if someone can shed some light on this .
Does accessing the training program for the driving licence for catgory C ( HGV) which is funded by the department of education under the Skills for life programme would be considered as accessing the benefits and may have any consequences in the future application for the settled status .

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Benefits/ Training on pre-settled status

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:27 pm

The document in rhe link below details what is considered public funds/benefits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:21 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:27 pm
The document in rhe link below details what is considered public funds/benefits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds
Unfortunatley, as we have seen before with the 30 hours free childcare, not everything is listed in that case worker and immigration officers guidance.

It's best to look at the course that you want and read what the restrictions are. It' up to the immigrant to make sure that they do not take what they are not allowed.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:08 am

If you have pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme, you are not subject to immigration control therefore claiming any public funds or support isn’t an issue.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 pm

Amber wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:08 am
If you have pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme, you are not subject to immigration control therefore claiming any public funds or support isn’t an issue.
Only Settled Status on the EUSS gives access to UK public funds.

For public funds with pre-settled status on the EUSS, they must meet specific requirments to have public funds. Pre-settled status is only limited leave to remain. The court case brought against the UK by two Romanians was lost in the Supreme Court on the back of the case in NI, where the European court said they would be an undue burden on the the UK.

"Undue Burden is part of the Directive. That appears te be how the UK won a case in the European Courts,when the EU took the UK to court for bringing in the "Right to reside" for public funds and as the loser, the EU had to pay all the court costs.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 pm

Just adding that even somebody with Settled Status will need to prove they are allowed to have public funds from the UK, just a British citizen or migrant with ILR has to do.
You might be able to claim benefits if you’re from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you live in the UK. The EEA includes EU countries and also Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

You’ll need to prove different things about your life here for each benefit you apply for. You might need to give evidence that:

you have settled status or the right to claim benefits in the UK - this is called a ‘right to reside’
the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man is your main home and you plan to stay - this is known as being ‘habitually resident’
you meet other criteria for the benefit you’re claiming - for example you earn less than a certain amount or you’re ill
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... om-the-eu/

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:52 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 pm
Amber wrote:

For public funds with pre-settled status on the EUSS, they must meet specific requirments to have public funds. Pre-settled status is only limited leave to remain. The court case brought against the UK by two Romanians was lost in the Supreme Court on the back of the case in NI, where the European court said they would be an undue burden on the the UK.

"Undue Burden is part of the Directive. That appears te be how the UK won a case in the European Courts,when the EU took the UK to court for bringing in the "Right to reside" for public funds and as the loser, the EU had to pay all the court costs.

Nonetheless that doesn’t change what I said, they are not subject to immigration control and do not need to worry about claiming public funds. Whether they’re entitled to public funds would depend if they had a right to reside for the purpose of the benefit regs - having pre-settled status alone isn’t sufficient to access public funds, the habitual residence test requires a person to be exercising what were Treaty rights such as being a worker, retaining worker status etc… but unlike the “domestic” immigration rules, a person who has limited leave to remain under the EUSS does not have a NRPF restriction.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:45 pm

Amber wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:52 pm
Nonetheless that doesn’t change what I said, they are not subject to immigration control and do not need to worry about claiming public funds.
That does change what you stated, which was-
Amber wrote:
Which was why I replied -
JB007 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 pm
Amber wrote:

[/quote

And in my post straight after that, I quoted citizens advice and gave the link.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:21 pm

The OPs question was whether claiming public funds would impact on their future settled status application, my answer was no, for which I stated “therefore claiming public funds or support isn’t an issue”. You have then proceeded to discuss eligibility to public funds which was not the OPs question nor what my response alluded to. Again so that it is clear for you. The OP wanted to know will claiming public funds affect their future settled status application. My answer was no, because they’re not subject to immigration control, they have no NRPF restriction, and therefore, claiming public funds or support isn’t an issue. Whether they’re entitled to a specific public fund depends on their circumstances, but that was not their question.

euspouse07
Mood:
Ireland

Post by euspouse07 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:09 am

Thanks , Amber for spelling out so precisely.
I may be repeating the question as I assume that I couldn’t asked properly.
As you said benefits (including training) are subject to the eligibility set out by the DWP.
However it would be the consequences as the non-eu family members entered as dependents and got BRP issued under the same grounds .
I wonder how the DWP look at the declarations given by the sponsors and the dependents at the initial state where they clearly stated that they would not become the undue burden on the state.
I am fully aware people are accessing the NHS without any hesitation which is also funded by the state but claiming monterary help like child benefit/disability/universal credits may fall into different categories
Please shed some light on this .
Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:09 am

Amber wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:21 pm
The OPs question was whether claiming public funds would impact on their future settled status application, my answer was no, for which I stated “therefore claiming public funds or support isn’t an issue”. You have then proceeded to discuss eligibility to public funds which was not the OPs question nor what my response alluded to. Again so that it is clear for you. The OP wanted to know will claiming public funds affect their future settled status application. My answer was no, because they’re not subject to immigration control, they have no NRPF restriction, and therefore, claiming public funds or support isn’t an issue. Whether they’re entitled to a specific public fund depends on their circumstances, but that was not their question.
Again, you did NOT say that. As can be seen above, you stated
Amber wrote:
That is not correct, as I have already explained above twice (now 3 times). I also gave the link to Citizens Advice, which also confirmed what you stated was NOT true.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:40 am

euspouse07 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:09 am
As you said benefits (including training) are subject to the eligibility set out by the DWP.
It's the government who set out what are Public Funds: just as the government can end any welfare benefit or change the rules for that benefit or/and the amount they will give (as we saw under the Welfare Reform Acts). The relevant benefit agencies implement those rules, except for the local councils who each decide the % given and the cap allowed for the welfare benefit Council Tax Reduction. e.g. One of the welfare benefits HMRC handles( Tax Credit) has now ended, with existing claimants having their claims ended by the end of next year.
euspouse07 wrote:
However it would be the consequences as the non-eu family members entered as dependents and got BRP issued under the same grounds .
I wonder how the DWP look at the declarations given by the sponsors and the dependents at the initial state where they clearly stated that they would not become the undue burden on the state

I am fully aware people are accessing the NHS without any hesitation which is also funded by the state but claiming monterary help like child benefit/disability/universal credits may fall into different categories
You are under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement and are on the EUSS, which is not the same rules as those who have entered under the UK immigration rules. Disabillity that you mentioned, is now called PIP for adults, but claimants must have been in the uK for a set time.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:16 pm

euspouse07 wrote:
I wonder how the DWP look at the declarations given by the sponsors and the dependents at the initial state where they clearly stated that they would not become the undue burden on the state.
I should have added that those EEA citizens under the Brexit EUSS (who arrived by 31 December 2020) who are therefore allowed to sponsor some family members, don't give declarations that shows these will not be an undue burden to the UK as they can have public funds under some circumstances. And "Undue Burden" is a term that the EU use when EEA citizens use Free Movement. What public funds these are given and free use of the NHS under the UK's EUSS, is under the Withdrawal Agreement and seems to be based on what the EU said they must be given when the UK allowed Free Movement.

As stated above (a few times :D ) Pre-Settled Status under the EUSS does not give access to public funds unless certain circumatances are met. What Public Funds Family Members can have, will depend on what status they have, or via what their EU sponsor is doing.

Those entering the UK under UK immigration rules, aren't required to give a declaration either, unless they have sponsored an elderly releative.

Not all welfare benefits are Public Funds and not all Public Funds are welfare benefits.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:29 pm

I've just found this link that might help you understand what Public Funds you can have?

Check if you have the right to reside for benefits
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... -benefits/

Note that Right to Reside for benefits, is not the same as having a Right to Reside to be able to live in the UK. And even if a person has a Right to Reside for benefits, for some benefits you have to have been living in the UK for a certain time before you can claim them.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:38 am

euspouse07 wrote:
Thanks
If a maintenance undertaking was signed then that is a different matter and would mean that the sponsor was liable to ensure a person didn’t access public funds - for a five year period, that’s not applied to those under the EU settlement scheme. Entitlement to public funds, for which CR001 provided a link which explains what they are, depends on the specific public funds, some have additional residence requirements such as the Habitual Residence Test enacted under social security legislation which creates a requirement for those with pre-settled status under Appendix EU to be exercising what were Treaty rights. That’s not an immigration requirement under the Act unlike those who are subject to immigration control. If you have a question about entitlement to a specific public fund please create a new post about that.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:39 am

JB007 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:29 pm
I've just found this link that might help you understand what Public Funds you can have?

Check if you have the right to reside for benefits
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... -benefits/

Note that Right to Reside for benefits, is not the same as having a Right to Reside to be able to live in the UK. And even if a person has a Right to Reside for benefits, for some benefits you have to have been living in the UK for a certain time before you can claim them.
JB007 I really don’t understand why you are trying to argue with the simple fact that the OP has leave under the EU settlement scheme, therefore, accessing public funds will not adversely affect their future application under the EU settlement scheme. That was the OPs question, nothing about actual eligibility to public finds which is a completely different matter. Public funds are not just benefits. Again, entitlement to specific public funds is a different matter, you are just copy and pasting things without actually answering the OPs question.