ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

B1 B2 moved country

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

1234abcd
Newly Registered
Ireland

B1 B2 moved country

Post by 1234abcd » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:45 pm

I have a B1 B2 visa that was issued when I lived in another country. However, I have since moved to Ireland permanently and have residence here (mexican passport holder).

Last time I passed through the US land border, the officer said my B1 B2 might not be ok because I have moved permanently from the county that it was issued in. I didn't think this was case as I had used it many times since moving to Ireland.

On that occasion, I had already arrived to the US by air and had my i90 which I referred them to and they let me through. Was there any change that I should be aware of? Travelling soon so I would like to make sure.

Also, it's due to expire later this year. I believe there should be no issue in traveling within 6 months of expiration? I'll be back home in Ireland 3 months before the expiration date.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: B1 B2 moved country

Post by lolo2 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:11 am

This doesn't make any sense. A B1/B2 is still valid no matter where you are residing now.

I have a B1/B2 visa stamped on an expired Venezuelan passport, issued by a no longer existing US embassy in Venezuela and I live in the UK now. I traveled a few times from here, Spain, etc. with no issues at all even with the migration crisis at its peak.

Had more issues/questions/search when I was still living in Venezuela and traveled from there... but that's something else.

If the visa has a validity of at least six months at the date of arrival you should be ok.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: B1 B2 moved country

Post by Ticktack » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:59 am

1234abcd wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:45 pm
I have a B1 B2 visa that was issued when I lived in another country. However, I have since moved to Ireland permanently and have residence here (mexican passport holder).

Last time I passed through the US land border, the officer said my B1 B2 might not be ok because I have moved permanently from the county that it was issued in. I didn't think this was case as I had used it many times since moving to Ireland.

On that occasion, I had already arrived to the US by air and had my i90 which I referred them to and they let me through. Was there any change that I should be aware of? Travelling soon so I would like to make sure.

Also, it's due to expire later this year. I believe there should be no issue in traveling within 6 months of expiration? I'll be back home in Ireland 3 months before the expiration date.
You probably ran into an overzealous US immigration officer. The general conditions of your visa hasn't changed; which are citizenship of country, validity of visa and validity of passport. Where you currently live and where you fly from, shouldn't ever be an issue.
He let you go because he knew he couldn't cancel you visa or deny you entry based on that.

The interesting thing about a US visa (I think probably the only country that does this), is that the length of your visa doesn't really matter. It's the validity that counts.

The US visa is designed to carry you to the US port and request for entry. Even if you have 2 days left on it. At the port of entry, the Immigration officer then decided how long you can stay in-country.
Example, you're granted single entry 2 months visa. At port of entry, immigration officer stamps 6 months on your passport. Still single entry, but time to stay in the US has been extended beyond the visa time.

So having 6 months left on your visa is ample time. Visa is valid until it expires.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!