ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self-employed with Less Work: Should I Apply for Universal Credit before spouse visa ??

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

keskinta
Newly Registered
Turkey

Self-employed with Less Work: Should I Apply for Universal Credit before spouse visa ??

Post by keskinta » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:56 am

Dear all,

I am a self-employed individual who made £19,753 last year. Unfortunately, due to a decrease in work, I am struggling financially and considering applying for Universal Credit. However, I am also planning to get married in August and will be applying for a spouse visa for my partner to join me in the UK. I am concerned that if I apply for Universal Credit, it may negatively affect my spouse visa application.

I would appreciate any advice on whether applying for Universal Credit will have any impact on my spouse visa application. Can I still meet the financial requirement for the spouse visa if I apply for Universal Credit? Or will it be considered a negative factor in my application?

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Self-employed with Less Work: Should I Apply for Universal Credit before spouse visa ??

Post by Amber » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 am

You can claim UC and it shouldn’t adversely affect a spouse visa application, however, (a) you can’t use the UC income to meet the financial requirement under Appendix FM, unless exempt eg you get PIP or carer’s allowance and (b) you still need to meet the financial requirement eg earning £18,600 per annum or more, assuming no addition for children.

See page 55 of Appendix FM 1.7 to see how self-employed earnings are calculated for the purpose of a spouse visa - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page55
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

keskinta
Newly Registered
Turkey

Re: Self-employed with Less Work: Should I Apply for Universal Credit before spouse visa ??

Post by keskinta » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:54 am

Thank you so much for your reply.