ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retention of South African Citizenship from within the UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Retention of South African Citizenship from within the UK

Post by RossJ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 pm

I am a South African national with ILR in the UK, and am planning on applying for UK citizenship later this year. I'd like to retain my SA citizenship, so I need to apply to the SAHC beforehand.

The SAHC website is surprisingly helpful: they have guidance on the process, and PDF versions of the BI-1664 (formerly DHA-1664) and BI-529 (formerly DHA-529) forms, although the BI-1664 is secured for some ridiculous reason, so I had to unlock it before I could fill out using Adobe Acrobat.

However, I find some of the guidance unclear.
  • The SAHC website says "The following services are rendered strictly by post ... Retention of South African citizenship". Although the guidance says "NB: PLEASE APPLY BY POST" at the top, it would be clearer to say "ONLY POSTAL APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED" and also remove phrases such as "in case of postal application", because that's the only option.
  • The guidance doesn't say where the application must be posted to, so I'm assuming it's the same address provided on the SAHC website: South Africa House, 9 Duncannon Street, Trafalgar Square London, WC2N 5DP.
  • "1. A valid South African passport plus 1 copy (in case of postal application, 2 certified copies must be sent)"
    Does this mean (a) passport + 2 certified copies, or (b) just 2 certified copies? Another post on this forum says it's (b) just 2 certified copies. I got my copies certified at the Post Office for £12.75.
  • "3. Proof that foreign citizenship is not yet acquired"
    You need to submit Form NQ to get a Non-acquisition Letter, which costs £250. There are both PDF and online versions of the form; I submitted the latter.
  • "5. FULLY COMPLETED means all questions of the two forms must be answered. Please do not answer “N/A”, it is not an answer to any of the questions."
    This left me wondering what to put for questions like "Maiden Name", because I don't have one. I must answer the form, but I'm not allowed to put "N/A" :? In the end, I decided to go with advice from the SAHC of Canada, "Do NOT to write “N/A” or draw lines through the form if the question does not apply, leave blank space." and just left those questions blank.
  • "6. (BI-529) Part A: questions 9, 10 and 11 are mostly important for the applicant."
    So question 10 is particularly important, but I can't answer (a), (b), or (c) because I don't have foreign citizenship. I decided to leave these questions blank and write "NOT YET ACQUIRED - UK APPLICATION PENDING" in the blank space next to question 10. For (d), I circled "No" as instructed by the guidance.
  • "10. Self-addressed special delivery envelope (with two large first class stamps) with all postal applications."
    I gather they want one of these:
    with two of these:
    I don't understand why they want two stamps when one would cover the postage of a large letter, by definition?
I would appreciate any clarification from those who have been through the process.

I'll update this thread with my experience as I progress.

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Retention of South African Citizenship from within the UK

Post by RossJ » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm

I went to the post office today and they said I can't send a special delivery envelope using normal stamps, so now I'm stumped. Do I use a special delivery envelope with no stamps, or normal envelope with 2 stamps?

It's a pity user-mentions are disabled, because HelloWorld_21 seems to have done this just over a year ago and would probably know the answer. :(

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:58 pm

RossJ wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm
I went to the post office today and they said I can't send a special delivery envelope using normal stamps, so now I'm stumped. Do I use a special delivery envelope with no stamps, or normal envelope with 2 stamps?

It's a pity user-mentions are disabled, because HelloWorld_21 seems to have done this just over a year ago and would probably know the answer. :(
Can't help you with the subject matter, however, as for the return envelope you buy a pre-paid one which will be more expensive than the two stamps .... about £8 pounds. Best to go to a main post office who will know what you need. They specifically mention special delivery which is not first class, it used to be called registered but now is more like a guaranteed express service.
Info for bulk packs of these envelopes - if you show this at the Post Office they should be able to supply one: https://shop.royalmail.com/postage-and- ... guaranteed

Not sure whether this helps, a thread under "British Citizenship": british-citizenship/non-acquisition-for ... 36127.html
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:19 pm

Thanks, alterhase58. That's helpful. I'll ask again at the Post Office with that info.

I've seen the thread british-citizenship/non-acquisition-for ... 36127.html before, and it's the same topic but doesn't have much detail.

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:10 pm

I received my letter of non-acquisition today, so that's 6 work days after submitting the application online.

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:59 pm

I posted my application to SAHC today via 2nd class signed-for. Contents:
  • 1 x cover letter
  • 1 x signed and completed form BI-1664
  • 1 x signed and completed form BI-529
  • 2 x certified copies of passport
  • 1 x original letter of non-acquisition
  • 1 x postal order to the value of £25.00 in favour of "South African High Commission"
  • 1 x self-addressed and stamped (£6.85) Special Delivery 1PM flyer C4/A4 size
  • 1 x blank C5/A5 size envelope
Fingers crossed :|

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:11 pm

I received my application from SAHC today with the helpful information that (contrary to their website) they no longer accept postal orders for payment. They now only accept bank transfers to:

Bank: Nedbank Private Wealth
Name: South African High Commission
Account Number: 93274091
Sort Code: 16-57-06
Reference Number: Surname and full names as they appear on passport

Also, the letter was sent from 15 Whitehall, London, SW1A 2DD, so I'm going to send my application to that address on the next attempt.

elementalite
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by elementalite » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:01 pm

This is all super helpful information! Thank you. I'm applying for mine tomorrow

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:44 am

I received my Certificate of Exemption today. It's nothing fancy - just an A4 sheet of plain paper printed in black and white, with both ink and embossed stamps.

07/04 I posted my application
11/04 Delivered to SAHC
20/04 SAHC posted response
22/04 Royal Mail delivered

So 8 business days turn-around at SAHC, and 15 calendar days from end-to-end. Apart from the incorrect payment method stated on their website, the process was surprisingly efficient.

Shell73
Newly Registered

Post by Shell73 » Fri May 12, 2023 10:03 am

Hi

For the "2x certified copies of passport" - Do you certify the entire passport or just the photo page?

Many thanks

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Fri May 12, 2023 10:21 am

Just the photo page.

Mich9881
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Mich9881 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:03 am

Hey,
Your post mentioned ‘submitted online’ - where did you do this? I’ve searched SAHC and cannot see this option.
Thanks!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:09 am

Mich9881 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:03 am
Hey,
Your post mentioned ‘submitted online’ - where did you do this? I’ve searched SAHC and cannot see this option.
Thanks!
They've done it to get a form NQ from the British authorities, not to apply for exemption certificate. It has nothing to do with SAHC.
RossJ wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 pm
"3. Proof that foreign citizenship is not yet acquired"
You need to submit Form NQ to get a Non-acquisition Letter, which costs £250. There are both PDF and online versions of the form; I submitted the latter.
RossJ wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:10 pm
I received my letter of non-acquisition today, so that's 6 work days after submitting the application online.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Mich9881
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Mich9881 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:16 am

Ah gotcha. I was excited there for a moment! 😄 Thank you for clarifying so quickly!

SA_Stace
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SA_Stace » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:23 pm

RossJ wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:11 pm
I received my application from SAHC today with the helpful information that (contrary to their website) they no longer accept postal orders for payment. They now only accept bank transfers to:

Bank: Nedbank Private Wealth
Name: South African High Commission
Account Number: 93274091
Sort Code: 16-57-06
Reference Number: Surname and full names as they appear on passport

Also, the letter was sent from 15 Whitehall, London, SW1A 2DD, so I'm going to send my application to that address on the next attempt.

Hey Ross,
Is this new banking information online anywhere, I don't really want to pay this in advance of me sending my documents off. Did they return your documents to you when you sent through the postal order or did they just notify you to pay online. Time wise I cannot afford to have them send my documents back to me if something is wrong as then my UK letter will expire.
I see you included a cover letter, is this just something extra you provided?

Appreciate it

RossJ
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RossJ » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:54 am

Firstly, this whole process may no longer be required. The SA Supreme Court of Appeal ruled in June that automatic loss of citizenship is unconstitutional (polity.org.za/article/sca-strikes-down- ... 2023-06-13). You should probably review that before you submit your application.

If you decide to proceed:
- I'm almost sure I found their bank details online at the time, but I've had another look now and can't find the page.
- They returned my entire application with supporting documents when they said they no longer accept post orders.
- I included a cover letter because another post suggested it, and I figured it couldn't hurt. I've no idea whether they even bothered to read it.

SA_Stace
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SA_Stace » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:53 pm

Thanks. I will have a look and see if I can find anything online. I saw that this decision has been made, but I have read that it will take time for the Constitutional Court to confirm. and some websites are still advising to get the permission

Third party weblinks removed by moderator

SA_Stace
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SA_Stace » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:38 am

RossJ wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:54 am
Firstly, this whole process may no longer be required. The SA Supreme Court of Appeal ruled in June that automatic loss of citizenship is unconstitutional (polity.org.za/article/sca-strikes-down- ... 2023-06-13). You should probably review that before you submit your application.

If you decide to proceed:
- I'm almost sure I found their bank details online at the time, but I've had another look now and can't find the page.
- They returned my entire application with supporting documents when they said they no longer accept post orders.
- I included a cover letter because another post suggested it, and I figured it couldn't hurt. I've no idea whether they even bothered to read it.
Hey Ross, sorry 1 addition question did you send it tonthe Whitehall or ducannon address. Thanks

SA_Stace
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SA_Stace » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:18 am

I also note you didn't send your valid passport, you just sent copies is that correct?

Sailz1986
Newly Registered

Post by Sailz1986 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:38 pm

Hi,

I just received my application back, where the embassy has only stamped my documents with no further correspondence in terms of when my retention certificate will be issued. Is this the norm?

SA_Stace
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SA_Stace » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:44 pm

Sailz1986 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:38 pm
Hi,

I just received my application back, where the embassy has only stamped my documents with no further correspondence in terms of when my retention certificate will be issued. Is this the norm?
I don't think so. I just got the letter saying I was able to obtain British Citizenship. I did not receive any stamped documents back.

graeme_wilson
Newly Registered

Post by graeme_wilson » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:18 am

m trying to follow the instructions from https://southafricahouse.uk/wp-content/ ... enship.pdf

The instructions are written as follows:
Fully completed DHA-529 form, in BLACK INK and BLOCK LETTERS (FULLY COMPLETED means all questions of the two forms must be answered. Please do not answer “N/A”, it is not an answer to any of the questions. DHA-529 is required, disregard number 8 of DHA-1664).
Part A: questions 9, 10 and 11 are mostly important for the applicant. N.B. number 10(d) must also be answered, with circling a No or a Yes. NO if you are applying for the FIRST TIME for Retention. Yes if you applied for a Retention previously and attach your 1st Retention copy.

For question #9(c) "The date on which you returned to South Africa permanently" > I have never returned to South Africa permanently, so what do I fill in other than "Not Applicable"?

For question #10, I have not applied for or acquired my British Passport, so cannot fill in any of the options

With regards section B:
Part B: The relevant status can be written next to the words Marital Status on the form (e.g. Never married/ Married/ Divorced/Widowed). The details of the applicant’s current or former spouse must then be completed on the DHA-529 whether deceased or divorced or widowed)

I've used my wife UK passport number for her ID number
I cannot answer B.1.(g) and B.1.(h), as we have never lived permanently in South Africa

I've tried calling/emailing the Dept of Home Affairs all week and have not had any luck connecting to anyone. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Savannah0208
Newly Registered

Post by Savannah0208 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:04 pm

Hey, thanks for your helpful notes on this process.

I wondered what kind of reason you're meant to give for wanting to retain your SA citizenship, my reason would be that I have family ties so would like to travel freely into South Africa and may return to live their permanently in the future. I don't know if these reasons are 'good enough' or id they will be looking for specific reasons or the 'right' reasons, or if you can just put whatever down.

Thanks again!
Savannah

Official_SA
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by Official_SA » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:03 pm

Hi guys, can someone please help clarify what are you meant to put in 9(C) if you have not returned to South Africa permanently? Also, the payment options: I read some comments saying they were told they do not accept postal orders anymore! If so, what did you guys use please? Thanks in advance for your advice.