ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postdoc - Peer Review Stage 1 (Royal Society)

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kms14
Newly Registered

Postdoc - Peer Review Stage 1 (Royal Society)

Post by kms14 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:51 pm

Dear all,
I am currently working as a postdoc in the department of medicine at the University of Oxford. I joined this post at University of Oxford in January 2021, before which I completed my PhD from Germany. I am currently working on a research topic that directly involves addressing research questions in the field of heart diseases.

I am planning to apply for a Global Talent Visa (Exceptional Promise) through the "peer-review" route to Royal Society as my field of research is molecular biology.

My supervisor, who is extremely reputed and renowned in this field, has already provided me with a strong letter of recommendation for the GTV based on the recommended format.

During my PhD, I received a prestigious international travel grant to present my work. My only concern is that my entire work of PhD is still not published and it is under review (I have deposited it on Biorxiv !). My postdoc work from last 2 years at Oxford is also a manuscript under preparation.

Would you recommend me going ahead with a GTV Stage 1 endorsement application given that although I satisfy all the mandatory criteria, I do not have a peer-reviewed publication yet ?

Any input would be highly appreciated.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Postdoc - Peer Review Stage 1 (Royal Society)

Post by lolo2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:44 pm

Since you have a research position at a HEI for more than two years now, you might be eligible for a fast-track endorsement - route 1 (Royal Society - Global Talent Visa)

Take a look at the requirements and assess how your situation fits into them.

kms14
Newly Registered

Post by kms14 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:52 am

Hi, thanks for replying. I had already talked to the HR and they said that fast track route is not for postdocs. It is for faculty members who are actively supervising and leading an individual/teams. They suggested me to apply via Peer Review route (if I want to have a shot at GTV!)

Also, the official website says,
" You will only be considered eligible for the academic and research appointments route if responsibility for academic, research or innovation leadership and development or for directing or leading an individual or team research or innovation project or programme of work is a significant function of the role you have accepted. "

The postdoc position does not fit the second half of the criteria.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:56 am

That's partially true.

No need to be a faculty member to get endorsed, but I can understand the process is still confusing for many HR people. I had the same feedback at the beginning.

I've got fast-track endorsement being in a similar 'postdoc' position without even having a PhD.
GTV-route 1 No papers, CV or letters from academics are required in this route.

Are you leading a work package or at least a specific task in your research? or participating in a research project within a consortium? Any leadership aspect that HR can highlight in the letter will help.

kms14
Newly Registered

Post by kms14 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi, thank you for the update.
Let me see if I can discuss this issue and convince the HR if they would agree. If not, I think I will give a shot at GTV through Route 4 (Peer review - exceptional promise).