ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

India travel after UK citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

garrick
- thin ice -
India

India travel after UK citizenship

Post by garrick » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:46 pm

Hi, I believe I can travel to India on Indian passport for upto 90 days without any penalty after becoming UK citizen. My question is when these 90 days starts i. e. from date of ceremony or from date of getting British passport?

meself2
Ireland

Re: India travel after UK citizenship

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:49 pm

Date of ceremony (and getting certificate). Also as soon as you got British passport, your Indian one is invalid, even if less than 90 days passed - https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/
There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel. But the grace period is not applicable once the British/Foreign Passport is acquired, he/she should travel only on the British/Foreign passport once the same is obtained even if he/she is within the grace period of three months.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

garrick
- thin ice -
India

Post by garrick » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:01 pm

thanks for quick reply. So if i can travel to India after ceremony on Indian passport, shall i carry ceremony certificate with me to show as proof as my ILR BRP will be invalid i think ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:10 pm

garrick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:01 pm
thanks for quick reply. So if i can travel to India after ceremony on Indian passport, shall i carry ceremony certificate with me to show as proof as my ILR BRP will be invalid i think ?
Note you need to retain your ILR BRP card otherwise the carrier won't let you board the return flight, as the certificate is not a travel document. As long as the BRP is still with valid date should be ok - use certificate to enter the UK, with explanation, but the border officials won't refuse you entry.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:57 am

As this is related to Indian law on entering and leaving India, not UK law, moving to the Other Countries forum.

I believe that India has physical immigration checks on both entering and exiting that country and you may well run afoul of one of the two. It may be better to apply for and get a British passport and complete the requisite Indian passport surrender protocols within the UK before heading to that country.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 pm

garrick wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:01 pm
Also, note that you can get fined by the UK immigration for using you ILR BRP. The rule of thumb is that you're required to cut up your BRP and return it back after naturalisation.

The fact that you've been able to board a flight to the UK with your Indian (visa required) passport, shows that you've knowingly disregarded this instruction (must have a BRP on you). They can easily tell, I bet they've seen it all.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!