ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current IT job market in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sonivic
Newly Registered

Current IT job market in UK

Post by sonivic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:31 am

Hello People,

I have the HSMP approval and going to apply for EC in couple of days. I am into telecom domain (media server development) and mobile application development (mainly Symbian OS).

As whatever I got to read and hear, it seems that the current IT job market in UK is not that good, and there is not much job opening and it is also said that recruitments also goes down in the last quarter of the year may be because of the upcoming vaccations in december.

But few people says that the market has started picking up now and job opening are emerging.

I planned to come to UK somewhere in mid of october month, but now little worried, shall I dealy my EC for somemore time as much as I can, and plan to come later somewhere in Jan 2009, please suggest.

I would also request people, who are already in UK (working and hunting for job), to comment on the current IT job market and if anyone working or looking in the same doamin of mine can tell the market scenario would be really helpfull.

Regards

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 pm

I cant see about current job market because I am not actively looking a job...

but be prepared for challenges as it is now a days not that easy to get a job at least a good job...

What about this?

Take one months holiday from your current job in India and come to UK on HSMP and do job hunting....in one month probably you will get enough idea....if you decide to go back...just resume your current job...
you don;t necessarily need to resign to come here..not sure though if you can easily manage 3/4 weeks holiday in India...at least I have never seen anyone taking while I was working there...

ubugger

Post by ubugger » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Who said the market is starting to pick up? I haven't seen it happen... The market is pretty dead at the moment... Maybe in mid september it'll pick up, but it looks like it'll be quiet for a long while yet...

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:18 am

Market is realy slow. so better to make up your mind for at least 5 months without job (including Dec, Jan) , as I said in other post if you have exceptional skills then you shouldn't care about months!

IMHO, I still can't see any signs of market picking up soon!
Kaff

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 am

More evidence the market is dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7576274.stm

hop4best
Newly Registered

Post by hop4best » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:01 am

Well,

As per my experience so far market is not that good as it used to couple of years ago..not sure if it is just because of global slow down only, or demand vs supply equation which is becoming worse day by day...I remember couple of years back it was possible to go through 1-2 interviews in a month, but now getting your resume sortlisted itself is difficult.

It is not for specific IT jobs, my friends who are in tech like SAP, Oracle DBA, Datawarehousing have also confirmed the same..

Dont want to demoralize anyone but think twice before leaving your current job as one of my friend who left his job (Datawarehousing, Informatica ETL, Business Objects) few months back is still struggling to find a job.

(Dont just go by advertisements on job sites, few jobs are still there but it seems people searching for these jobs have increased tremendously)

Well all the best for all job seekers

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 pm

Its really a bad time to search for jobs in UK. A time when recession is impending and supply is outstripping demand.

But it's strange to notice Infosys overtaking Axon Group in UK at a time when sterling is on decline and more people are claiming unemployment benefits.

sonivic
Newly Registered

Post by sonivic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 am

Hi All,

Thanx for the responses and suggestions.

As per the comments it's seams that the market is not in good shape now. Despite of the current market condition I am able to see quite a job openings on various job sities for my skills. I am little confused whether the opening are in actual or bogus.

If not now then please advice what would be the appropriate time to travel for job search.

After reading the comments posted regarding the job market conditions I can understand that the market is not good, but is it so bad that I should not even think about coming there or can take a chance still not at high risk.

Regards

shubi81

Post by shubi81 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:16 pm

hey , just to give u a heads up ..! yes , market has slowed a lot ...but I would say , the job market is extremely competitive now .., Yes u'll find a lot of openings in various sites ..some of them are fake n some real :)..many agencies are vouching for the same opening ...so shortlisting urself for intv is quite tough .
Are u in finance domain ..? then its further bad . But nevertheless, getting a job intv for a prestigious financial institution is always tough in London ..unless u have relevant experience. Moreover , the hiring managers are still basking in their mid-year vacations...so u understand ..I would say , Wait & watch !! plan something in Jan nxt year depending on the situation.

Shubi
sonivic wrote:Hi All,

Thanx for the responses and suggestions.

As per the comments it's seams that the market is not in good shape now. Despite of the current market condition I am able to see quite a job openings on various job sities for my skills. I am little confused whether the opening are in actual or bogus.

If not now then please advice what would be the appropriate time to travel for job search.

After reading the comments posted regarding the job market conditions I can understand that the market is not good, but is it so bad that I should not even think about coming there or can take a chance still not at high risk.

Regards

vix95
Newly Registered

Post by vix95 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:46 am

"
What about this?

Take one months holiday from your current job in India and come to UK on HSMP and do job hunting....in one month probably you will get enough idea....if you decide to go back...just resume your current job...
you don;t necessarily need to resign to come here..not sure though if you can easily manage 3/4 weeks holiday in India...at least I have never seen anyone taking while I was working there"

Hi Netact, I was actually planning todo exactly this but was just wondering, do UK employers bother about my last organization's (not in UK) relieving letter. Or will do some BGC and reach my last employer.

Else even if one gets a job, it would not be useful as you might have to ask to about a month or two joining time, which they will never have.

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm

It would entirely depend on your skills and how badly employer wants you.
If they want you they are ready to wait for upto 2 months.
Generally, mostly are anyway ready for 1 month.

Here, last employers reference matters. None asks for any release letter here.

ravi_ishere007
Newly Registered

Post by ravi_ishere007 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi,

I got the HSMP Tier 1 visa which is valid from Nov, 2008. I want to know how is the Job Market in UK for Java/J2EE with EAI Middleware(Websphere Message Broker, MQ and SOA skills) 4+ Exp. One more thing is there any policy like HSMP Tier 1 visa holder must have to travel to UK with in 3 months.

Regards,
Ravi

vkrishnarao.ponnaganti
Newly Registered

Post by vkrishnarao.ponnaganti » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Ravi,

Have you got any answer for your Q. Please share with me. I am also planning to apply for Tier-1 in this month. I am also a Java/J2EE candiate.

Please let me know the job market and with in what date candiate needs to enter UK

Thanks,
-Krishna-

ghulbhai

job market ???

Post by ghulbhai » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:11 pm

hi..
to those already in jobs here in the uk.. i have been here last 4 months. with 8+ years of experience in project management, j2ee-spring-hibernate,web services and C++, c# .net technologies its kind of crazy.

i came with a plan to stay here for 5 months and am nearing the end without jobs till now. they call me but dont take it much further. i bet this is what a recession looks like.. i think our indian market is much better. i might give a try until jan middle, but beyond that i cant withstand the expenses.

my friends are telling me to come back after june 09... because they expect economy to have stabilised by that time...

and it is discouraging if you apply for senior positions - they dont want seniors... just like how it companies in india dont want seniors.. is it a big crime that we get experienced ?

may be i will take a 6 month break, find some job in india and come back by july 09... with the situation here so pathetic..i wonder whether i should have spent so much money in taking a tier 1 this year. i could have waited until end of 2009.

custodian

Post by custodian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 pm

You can enter UK any time during the 3 year validity period of your Tier1 visa.
ravi_ishere007 wrote:Hi,

I got the HSMP Tier 1 visa which is valid from Nov, 2008. I want to know how is the Job Market in UK for Java/J2EE with EAI Middleware(Websphere Message Broker, MQ and SOA skills) 4+ Exp. One more thing is there any policy like HSMP Tier 1 visa holder must have to travel to UK with in 3 months.

Regards,
Ravi

ravi_ishere007
Newly Registered

Post by ravi_ishere007 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:15 am

Hi vkrishnarao.ponnaganti,

Got the answers but not fully. You can see in this thread.

For now i have changed my plan not to move to UK until April.

What about you ?

Regards,
Ravi

ravi_ishere007
Newly Registered

Post by ravi_ishere007 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:18 am

Hi custodian,

I have cross checked with BIA HomeOffice in my Homeland i got the answer like you have to travel with in 3 months to UK. I need to forum people to confirm the same ?

Regards,
Ravi

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 am

Don't you think the information provided by your local UK consulate is more authentic ?
The other way to find it out is to send an email with your enquiry directly to UKBA (can get their email address from UKBA's website). Normally they respond within two working weeks or so (provided that is still the turnaround time that they hadd published in the past).
Or even another way is to directly phone them using their UK contact number and find out.

My point is it is always safe to get the information directly from the horse's mouth rather than relying on external sources.

netacct

Post by netacct » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Yea, once you get a visa you have to travel within a certain period otherwise it is not valid. Previously it was six months, not sure now.

h_s_m_p

Post by h_s_m_p » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am

I wrote to BHC about the entry time period and i got the below answer from them.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email. If you were granted visa on HSMP permit then you should travel as early as possible to meet the requirement of HSMP permit as it should be present within 6 months from the date of its issuance. If you were granted visa under 'Tier 1 General Migrant' then you can travel anytime within the validity of visa.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I got Tier 1 General Migrant visa so i believe i can travel anytime during my visa validity.

BTW what do they mean by HSMP Permit...????

mnarne
Newly Registered

Re:job market ???

Post by mnarne » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 am

HSMP Permit menas...HSMP Approal Letter (i guess)

h_s_m_p

Post by h_s_m_p » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:32 pm

I got the approval letter and then filed EC...finally i got my Tier 1 General Migrant visa....can anyone shed more lights on this..

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:13 pm

I got the approval letter and then filed EC...finally i got my Tier 1 General Migrant visa....can anyone shed more lights on this..
on what ?

h_s_m_p

Post by h_s_m_p » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:21 pm

I got the below reply from BHC...

-----------------------------
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email. If you were granted visa on HSMP permit then you should travel as early as possible to meet the requirement of HSMP permit as it should be present within 6 months from the date of its issuance. If you were granted visa under 'Tier 1 General Migrant' then you can travel anytime within the validity of visa.

Regards,
Casework Unit
----------------------------------

Any guess what do they mean by HSMP Permit.

kalkal
Newly Registered

Made some market research for pre-sale positions in UK

Post by kalkal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 pm

Currently working in the 1st tier storage sytems vendor as a technical pre-sales I tried to find similar job in the UK. So no pre-sales jobs in EMC, IBM, HDS, Netapp, Quantum, VMware, Falconstor and even in a new startup Huawei-Symantec I didnt even try to come to plunging Sun and Dell.