ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Publishing Articles on a Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bradleybuck1984
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Publishing Articles on a Student Visa

Post by bradleybuck1984 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:49 pm

I'm in the UK on a Student Visa as a PhD Candidate at the University of St Andrews. In October I published an article in an academic journal, which I thought was normal for a PhD student, but now I'm concerned because I read that formally publishing my work can be considered business activity and would violates the terms of my visa. I did not get paid for the article. I have also been asked to write an article for a popular newspaper. I'm not sure if I'd be paid, but if I chose to forego payment would this be considered business activity? It would be a major detriment to my career if I can't publish articles, at least in journals and this is quite confusing to me. There doesn't seem to be clear guidance on what constitutes business activity. Am I safe to continue publishing as long as I don't profit financially?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Publishing Articles on a Student Visa

Post by sah10406 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:53 am

bradleybuck1984 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:49 pm
I read that formally publishing my work can be considered business activity and would violates the terms of my visa. I did not get paid for the article.

I have also been asked to write an article for a popular newspaper. I'm not sure if I'd be paid, but if I chose to forego payment would this be considered business activity?

Am I safe to continue publishing as long as I don't profit financially?
I think you are maybe over-thinking and possibly misinterpreting UKCISA's blog post about their interpretation of the Student work conditions and how they affect real-world contemporary scenarios. The whole blog post is about work, and is pretty clearly warning against paid professional writing and self-publishing for payment. There is no such thing as unpaid business activity, that is a contradiction in terms.

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/blog/6257/a-w ... definition

Writing and publishing

When you formally publish your writing or other written or visual work, including self-publishing, you are usually hoping that that people will buy it and that you will earn some money. Therefore it is highly likely to be seen as a business activity and you may not do it under the Student work conditions.

To avoid this, if you want to publish your writing or other work purely as an artistic expression or leisure activity or to share it with the public, do it through a (non-monetised) blog, social media or personal website.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

bradleybuck1984
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by bradleybuck1984 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:54 am

Thank you for your reply. I'm confused because the Visa advice service for my University told me the following:

'As a student visa holder you are not allowed to be self employed or engage in business activity. I believe this would classify as this, so would advise you not to do it.

Publishing your work could be construed as business activity (even if you're not paid for it). UKCISA have a handy blog which talks about working while on your visa in more detail. I have copied link below.'

He then quoted the exact section you quoted. I agree with you. Unpaid business activity seems like a contradiction in terms. How could the home office possible believe that I'm expecting to make money by publishing my work for free? When I published my article, I signed the rights over to the journal. I don't get any money no matter how many issues they sell or how many people download my article. I'm hoping to get my name and ideas out there so that it will help me with my future career / open up opportunities for me, not make money off of the article itself.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:34 am

bradleybuck1984 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:54 am
Publishing your work could be construed as business activity (even if you're not paid for it).
That’s not what that blog post says or means. Nor is there anything in the relevant rules or caseworker guidance (both quoted extensively in the intro to the blog) about the concept of unpaid business activity which, as we agree, is nonsense.

I would ignore it as misguided advice. If you have the energy, or it bugs you that they are doing that, you could query their interpretation in the hope they don’t misadvise other students. But not sure I would put any energy into that.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

bradleybuck1984
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by bradleybuck1984 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:47 am

Thank you. That's reassuring. Do you think there would be any difference if I publish in a popular newspaper, rather then an academic journal. I've been invited to submit a less formal article. I don't know about payment, but I assumed I could just do it for free.