ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Upcoming changes: dependants, switching to Skilled worker, maintenance

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sah10406
Diamond Member

Upcoming changes: dependants, switching to Skilled worker, maintenance

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:24 pm

There are some planned changes to Student visas announced by the Home Secretary today. The dates of implementation have not yet been announced.

https://questions-statements.parliament ... 23/hcws800

From that statement:

This package includes:

* Removing the right for international students to bring dependants unless they are on postgraduate courses currently designated as research programmes.
* Removing the ability for international students to switch out of the student route into work routes before their studies have been completed.
* Reviewing the maintenance requirements for students and dependants.
* Steps to clamp down on unscrupulous education agents who may be supporting inappropriate applications to sell immigration not education.
* Better communicating immigration rules to the higher education sector and to international students.
* Improved and more targeted enforcement activity.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Upcoming changes: dependants, switching to Skilled worker, maintenance

Post by JB007 » Tue May 23, 2023 2:21 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 1:24 pm
The dates of implementation have not yet been announced.
The new reforms will come into effect for students starting in January next year.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chan ... -migration

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:28 pm

The government will however work with the higher education sector to explore alternative options to ensure the brightest and best students can continue to bring dependents when they study at the UK’s world-leading universities.

Suggests there may be a different deal for students at certain universities. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 5:28 pm
The government will however work with the higher education sector to explore alternative options to ensure the brightest and best students can continue to bring dependents when they study at the UK’s world-leading universities.

Suggests there may be a different deal for students at certain universities. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
I think this might be referring to PhD students or those conducting research.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Djsuccess wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 pm
They are already covered in the first paragraph as a done deal. This appears to mean there will be negotiations with the HE sector on including others.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue May 23, 2023 7:32 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:42 pm
Djsuccess wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 pm
They are already covered in the first paragraph as a done deal. This appears to mean there will be negotiations with the HE sector on including others.
It could just be another promise that the government cannot keep, as it will be interesting to see what criteria will be used to determine which HEP or student qualifies to bring dependants.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 am

UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) has helpfully summarised the changes and answered some common questions:

https://ukcisa.org.uk/studentnews/2017/ ... -from-2024