ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

spt88
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Query on naturalisation

Post by spt88 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:39 pm

Dear moderators - my ILR is expiring on Dec 20th 2023 and am about to initiate my UK naturalisation process now , probably in next 2 days will apply online.

My query is , I have seen people waited for more than 6 months to get naturalisation ceremony to complete, so in this case if my ILR expires do I need to reapply for renewing ILR ? ( though I have applied for the naturalisation ) . What would be my status incase naturalisation takes time.

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Query on naturalisation

Post by meself2 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:43 pm

spt88 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:39 pm
my ILR is expiring on Dec 20th 2023
It's not the status that is expiring, it's the card.
spt88 wrote:
do I need to reapply for renewing ILR ?
You need to apply for a replacement BRP. It might take quite a long time to get a new card.
spt88 wrote:
What would be my status incase naturalisation takes time.
It stays the same. You can keep renewing the card indefinitely (although UKVI wants to phase out cards in 2025), as your ILR doesn't magically disappear - it's indefinite leave to remain.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

spt88
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by spt88 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:35 pm

Thanks meself2 for your prompt response.

You need to apply for a replacement BRP. It might take quite a long time to get a new card.

over this response, if its going to take time ( seems like I can apply 3 months ahead ) , does that mean that I wont be able to comeback into the country if had to travel outside UK ? considering my card will be invalid i.e lets say on Dec 25th 2023.

On similar lines , if my naturalisation completes does that mean ILR isn't required for travel anymore ? or I am understanding it completely wrong.

Thanks for taking time over this .

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:12 am

spt88 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:35 pm
over this response, if its going to take time ( seems like I can apply 3 months ahead ) , does that mean that I wont be able to comeback into the country if had to travel outside UK ? considering my card will be invalid i.e lets say on Dec 25th 2023.
In a nutshell, yes.
Assuming your nationality is Indian (as per the flag), Indians must have a visa to enter UK. If you show your card to the airline staff, they won't let you onto the plane to UK, as your BRP is expired - they'll think you won't have a valid status to go to UK.
spt88 wrote:
On similar lines , if my naturalisation completes does that mean ILR isn't required for travel anymore ? or I am understanding it completely wrong.
As soon as you've done the ceremony (and received the naturalization certificate), you're considered British. British citizens can't hold ILR, since they're British citizens. You will have to return your BRP to UKVI and use your British passport for travel.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:40 am

spt88 wrote:
Thanks meself2 for your prompt response.

over this response, if its going to take time ( seems like I can apply 3 months ahead ) , does that mean that I wont be able to comeback into the country if had to travel outside UK ? considering my card will be invalid i.e lets say on Dec 25th 2023. There's a reason why it has an expiry date. The definition is; An expiration date or expiry date is a previously determined date after which something should no longer be used, either by operation of law.
So how can you travel with an expired document. Same way you can't travel with your expired Indian passport!

Thanks for taking time over this .
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

spt88
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by spt88 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:11 am

Thanks Meself2 and Ticktack over your responses.