ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reusing old English test certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

applicant64
Newly Registered

Reusing old English test certificate

Post by applicant64 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:27 pm

I've read the forum pages and the FAQ, but I still cannot find the answer.

I passed my English test in 2016 and successfully used it to apply for a Tier II visa (valid 2016-2018) from outside the UK.
Two years later, in 2018, I successfully applied for a new Tier II visa (valid 2018-2021) and extended my permission to work in the UK, reusing my old English certificate.
In 2021, I renewed my UK visa again. It was a Skilled Worker visa valid between 2021 and 2022. I used my old certificate.
In 2022, I successfully applied for the ILR. And yes, I used my old certificate again because, as it says on the HO website:
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
  • it’s on the current list of recognised tests
  • it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter
Now I am applying for British Citizenship, and it looks like I can reuse my old certificate again, but it is not very clear. It says
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.
The problem is that I do not know whether my old certificate was accepted when I applied for ILR, or I was simply exempt, because here
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions
they mention that
Exemptions if you’re applying to settle
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re applying to settle:
  • using certain work visas - because you proved your knowledge of English when you applied for your current visa
So the question is, does my certificate count as "accepted when I settled in the UK"?
It sounds like "no". But on the other hand, "exempt" from what, from sitting another test and providing a new certificate or from proving my English knowledge?

In the Naturalisation Booklet (a PDF), I found the following lines:
If you successfully made an application for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of
a B1 level qualification, you would meet the English language requirement for
naturalisation and do not have to pass another test.
Still, not clear, was my ILR application made "on the basis of a B1 level qualification" or not, and should I take a new test?

ashu.doc
- thin ice -

Re: Reusing old English test certificate

Post by ashu.doc » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:20 pm

I had the exactly same doubt.
When I applied for ILR following 5 yrs of Tier 2, I think I didnt have to submit IELTS test results because I used point based calculator which did not require me to submit test results, instead it accepted my degree and provided 10 points for english language, I just submitted the print out of point based calculator.
But since we have provided the test results in the past for other applications i.e. Tier 2, I am guessing the results are still acceptable for naturalisation as well. My IELTS test results are from 2010 and my ILR was 2015.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 am

applicant64 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:27 pm
I've read the forum pages and the FAQ, but I still cannot find the answer.

I passed my English test in 2016 and successfully used it to apply for a Tier II visa (valid 2016-2018) from outside the UK.
Two years later, in 2018, I successfully applied for a new Tier II visa (valid 2018-2021) and extended my permission to work in the UK, reusing my old English certificate.
In 2021, I renewed my UK visa again. It was a Skilled Worker visa valid between 2021 and 2022. I used my old certificate.
In 2022, I successfully applied for the ILR. And yes, I used my old certificate again because, as it says on the HO website:
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
  • it’s on the current list of recognised tests
  • it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter
Now I am applying for British Citizenship, and it looks like I can reuse my old certificate again, but it is not very clear. It says
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.
The problem is that I do not know whether my old certificate was accepted when I applied for ILR, or I was simply exempt, because here
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/exemptions
they mention that
Exemptions if you’re applying to settle
You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re applying to settle:
  • using certain work visas - because you proved your knowledge of English when you applied for your current visa
So the question is, does my certificate count as "accepted when I settled in the UK"?
It sounds like "no". But on the other hand, "exempt" from what, from sitting another test and providing a new certificate or from proving my English knowledge?

In the Naturalisation Booklet (a PDF), I found the following lines:
If you successfully made an application for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of
a B1 level qualification, you would meet the English language requirement for
naturalisation and do not have to pass another test.
Still, not clear, was my ILR application made "on the basis of a B1 level qualification" or not, and should I take a new test?
Reuse same no need for new test.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:38 am

I agree that the Guidance is unclear. But I think you’ll be okay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

applicant64
Newly Registered

Post by applicant64 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:55 am

Thank you everyone for your reply! I appreciate all of your responses.

I'll apply with my old certificate again. Logically, I already proved my English level, it was enough for all my previous visas and ILR. And the requirements for citizenship are the same - B1 level.

Still, I'll be checking this forum regularly and will post here the outcome of my application.

antizeka
Newly Registered
Mood:
Turkey

Post by antizeka » Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:39 am

Hello,

I am in the same situation myself, is there any updates on your application ?

Thanks
AB

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:20 am

antizeka wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:39 am
Hello,

I am in the same situation myself, is there any updates on your application ?

Thanks
AB
Ask your own question in your own thread. If in same situation as OP, same advice given applies to you.